DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lightest DJI Mini 2 case?

If you're looking for something that is less that 6 ounces then I suggest a cradle like the one that comes with the Fly More kit (there is a similar one sold separately), then put it in something like a Crown Royal bag. Or just get some propeller covers and find a small bag.
Please could you link to this cradle? And what is a Crown Royal bag?!

I think this is your best bet, Anything that offers protection is going to weight more than your target.
A 3D printed shell case off Thingiverse is probably overweight as well.
I don't think this is true. The polystyrene style case I already linked or something carved from foam or expanding foam would offer full protection and be light enough.

I don't think this is true. The polystyrene style case I already linked or something carved from foam or expanding foam would offer full protection and be light enough.
Op it sounds like you don't need our help! When someone makes a suggestion, you disagree, please post your findings I am Out

Op it sounds like you don't need our help! When someone makes a suggestion, you disagree, please post your findings I am Out
I'm simply pointing out its incorrect to say "anything that offers protection is going to weight more than your target" and I've offered evidence for why.

Other than that this thread has been very helpful.

When I became desperate because there was no case which suited my needs I ordered a square soft foam (the one which is also minimal included in the fly more bag to protect the gimbal). And wanted to cut out the form of the mini with a knife to fit the foam into a light bag. I totally failed and can't recommend it either..
To find something with a harder case which offers protection, will be super difficult. The best way to go at the moment is to have a small bag with soft insulation and find a place in your backpack where damaging will have the least risk. If you find a good solution please let us know.

Reactions: dulcificum

The Cradle with the Mini 2 is slightly different than the third party version, but accomplishes the same thing. The DJI version works better for me because I can add velcro to the strap for additional length and leave the cree strobes on the front arms which I cannot do with the one featured below. I think they are about the same quality.
Mini cradle

1609000182693.png

A Crown Royal velvet bag comes with Crown Royal Whiskey, widely availble in the US. Not sure about elsewhere.
1609000038817.png
1608999962279.png

After much searching for a "minimalistic" Mini2 case to hit the field with (size trumps weight), this is what I ended up getting for $15:

Compactly holds the AC, RC, 2 xtra batts (or 1 xtra batt with charge block and cable), and offers some protection when using the DJI strap.

View attachment 121127View attachment 121128View attachment 121129
That looks bloody heavy! How much does it weigh?

I know I said I was done with this post, I lied, while I am sure the OP will not like this case, others may

Hi Dulcificum. I've got two options: one 20g and the other 46g.

Although we've been using the P4P+ for work, taking it to all kinds of remote locations together with other pro filming equipment, we've recently got the Mini 2 for assignments when we have to travel ultra light (which is probably a different definition than you're meaning in this context). We mostly work overseas and so I've got a good collection of the various airline overnight bags from both economy and business class. A few of them fit the Mini 2 perfectly. You might have some too, or else someone you know? Although we have dedicated bags for specific gear, they often come in useful for oddities.

Alternatively, at less than half of the weight - so 20g for an oversized one - we have several draw-string bags that will keep out dust etc, but offer little to no padding. A camping gear supplier would have them in varying sizes, if you don't already have a few of them. (We've used them for packets of food on long day hikes on location, attached to the outside of a backpack or inside if room.) If you're a careful person, thoughtfully putting things in your backpack to prevent damage - as different from "casual - I don't care" - this might well do. If not, a piece of bubble wrap (or similar) around it, held in place with a large elastic band, would offer extra protection at little extra weight. This bubble wrap addition might sound clumsy, but we use it a lot when having to carry a teleprompter pad with delicate breakable mirror glass in challenging terrain - and it's quick to get off/on and works well, with negligible weight.

Reactions: MTM and dulcificum
I know I said I was done with this post, I lied, while I am sure the OP will not like this case, others may

Thanks anyway. But unless I'm mistaken there's no weight mentioned? It looks much less protective than the dirt cheap 130g sunnylife case you see everywhere and no lighter either.

Hi Dulcificum. I've got two options: one 20g and the other 46g.

Although we've been using the P4P+ for work, taking it to all kinds of remote locations together with other pro filming equipment, we've recently got the Mini 2 for assignments when we have to travel ultra light (which is probably a different definition than you're meaning in this context). We mostly work overseas and so I've got a good collection of the various airline overnight bags from both economy and business class. A few of them fit the Mini 2 perfectly. You might have some too, or else someone you know? Although we have dedicated bags for specific gear, they often come in useful for oddities.

Alternatively, at less than half of the weight - so 20g for an oversized one - we have several draw-string bags that will keep out dust etc, but offer little to no padding. A camping gear supplier would have them in varying sizes, if you don't already have a few of them. (We've used them for packets of food on long day hikes on location, attached to the outside of a backpack or inside if room.) If you're a careful person, thoughtfully putting things in your backpack to prevent damage - as different from "casual - I don't care" - this might well do. If not, a piece of bubble wrap (or similar) around it, held in place with a large elastic band, would offer extra protection at little extra weight. This bubble wrap addition might sound clumsy, but we use it a lot when having to carry a teleprompter pad with delicate breakable mirror glass in challenging terrain - and it's quick to get off/on and works well, with negligible weight.
Thanks for these suggestions, exactly what I was looking for. By overnight bag you mean a toiletry bag?

For a bag with no padding I think I could drop a lot of weight just using a dcf stuff sack which would be as light as you can go. But maybe the best is actually your bubble wrap idea.

I also found a perfect case on Thingiverse. Does anyone know where I could get one of these printed?

Yes, the small bags that airlines give you with a toothbrush and toothpaste, etc etc on long-haul overnight flights.

Yes, a small stuff sack is what I was referring to. I'd use a lightweight one together with the bubble wrap and large elastic band (plus an extra one inn case it snaps) - simply because you don't want any tiny bits of debris getting into the inner workings of the drone. The small stuff bags we use are bigger than needed but only weigh 20g and they've lasted us for many years. Add on the bubble wrap and elastic bands - which only weigh 11g more - and you've got a super-lightweight solution.

Again, we carry a lot of expensive equipment and if anything goes wrong, it usually can't be replaced in-country, so it's either game over or a wait until a colleague can arrange a replacement to be flown in. We've never had a problem through diligent pre-planning and being careful.

That's a good plan. I agree with your thoughts and reasoning. I suspect bubble wrap with an elastic band with a waterproof roll top dry bag will be the optimal solution. It should weigh much less than 20g if made from 0.5 dcf too.

After much searching for a "minimalistic" Mini2 case to hit the field with (size trumps weight), this is what I ended up getting for $15:

Compactly holds the AC, RC, 2 xtra batts (or 1 xtra batt with charge block and cable), and offers some protection when using the DJI strap.

Playfair kindly said in a PM that this is the Large-Extra Wide version. I'm going to try it out as a hip carrier for use in my forest fieldwork.

Last edited:

Thanks so much @Playfair for posting this suggestion! After reading your post, I bought this bag and I personally think it's the perfect balance of weight/size and protection. I plan to use it for ultralight backpacking. For anyone wondering, this bag weighs in at 83g. For comparison, the first case I purchased (and plan to return) weighs 328g. For me, it holds the Mini 2, controller, 2 extra batteries (stacked vertically), a spare set of props, & mini screwdriver and still has a little bit of extra room on top. Here are a few more pics of the bag to give everyone an idea of it's size and what it can hold.

IMG_9391.jpgIMG_9392.jpgIMG_9393.jpgIMG_9382.jpgIMG_9383.jpgIMG_9388.jpgIMG_9380.jpgIMG_9381.jpg

That's a good plan. I agree with your thoughts and reasoning. I suspect bubble wrap with an elastic band with a waterproof roll top dry bag will be the optimal solution. It should weigh much less than 20g if made from 0.5 dcf too.
Sandwich it between 2 sheets of pick n pluck foam or egg crate foam then slide that into a DCF ditty bag that's just barely large enough to fit the "sandwich". I think that would be a little more protective than bubble wrap + a rubber band and would also look much nicer.

Thanks for these suggestions, exactly what I was looking for. By overnight bag you mean a toiletry bag?

For a bag with no padding I think I could drop a lot of weight just using a dcf stuff sack which would be as light as you can go. But maybe the best is actually your bubble wrap idea.

I also found a perfect case on Thingiverse. Does anyone know where I could get one of these printed?
Most libraries have 3D printers these days. But if you want a high-quality, injection-molded like finish, get it printed by a 3D printing service bureau like Shapeways.com and have it printed in MJF PA12.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure