DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lightroom / Photoshop

Brigs66

Reactions
Iam looking at purchasing lightroom for editing, but wondering if it would be better to buy the lightroom / photoshop combination which is the same price as lightroom by itself...Is photoshop good for stitching panoramas or would it be better to get PT Gui for that, which I have tried using their free version...Any advice appreciated....

Iam looking at purchasing lightroom for editing, but wondering if it would be better to buy the lightroom / photoshop combination which is the same price as lightroom by itself...Is photoshop good for stitching panoramas or would it be better to get PT Gui for that, which I have tried using their free version...Any advice appreciated....
Photoshop 2021 has a great photo stitching function. It stitches all the files together automatically before it loads them into photoshop. In files - automate - photomerge - then it gives you a screen to select all the images you want to stitch together (there are 6 types of merging solutions). There is auto, cylindrical, spherical, perspective, collage and reposition.

Reactions: Hidden
Photoshop 2021 has a great photo stitching function. It stitches all the files together automatically before it loads them into photoshop. In files - automate - photomerge - then it gives you a screen to select all the images you want to stitch together (there are 6 types of merging solutions). There is auto, cylindrical, spherical, perspective, collage and reposition.
Will it create or put together those tiny planets...They look great.

I have been using both for many, many years. I now pay for a discounted (40%) plan for the entire suite, which I don't need, but I do use 5 components- Photoshop CC (Creative Cloud), Lightroom (LrC) Lightroom classic, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. Also with the suite I get PDF so I can edit PDFs. I have always mainly edited in Photoshop and only use Lightroom for timelapses since my timelapse software (LRTimelapse5) uses Lightroom for processing.

I do most of my panoramas using 3 or 4 single shots, with a 30% overlap, and process them in Photoshop CC 2021 using Adobe Camera RAW and Bridge. By right clicking on the three or 4 images (or more) in Bridge, you can select all RAW (DNG) images, then CTRL+A (select all) and right click on any image and click MERGE TO PANOROMA. The image appears almost instantly. You can do the same with Lightroom. I tried PTGui trial and never was able to get it right.
For sure, I would get the $9.99/month Photoshop/Lightroom package. There are some many updates (all free) to Photoshop that I love some of the new ones. Google that to learn about them.

I have the $9.99/m LR/PS package, but almost everything I do in is Lightroom.

Attached is a test I ran this week (my 4th flight ever, but 50-year amateur photog): manually shot 4-5 pictures (DNG) with varying overlap (most less than 30 degrees), imported into Lightroom, merge-to-pano, then went through my normal editing process on the resulting image. Once you get comfortable with Lightroom and have your process down, this can be done fairly quickly.

(I suspect under the covers Lightroom is using the same Adobe Camera Raw facilities Dale is using directly in his post above.)

So; the complete steps for this:
1) In Library: Import into Lightroom
2) Select the shots going into the Pano
3) Photo/ Photo Merge/Panorama
4) Pull the resulting image into Develop and finish your edits

Attachments

• Martinez_Pano_2.jpg
    Martinez_Pano_2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I have the $9.99/m LR/PS package, but almost everything I do in is Lightroom.

Attached is a test I ran this week (my 4th flight ever, but 50-year amateur photog): manually shot 4-5 pictures (DNG) with varying overlap (most less than 30 degrees), imported into Lightroom, merge-to-pano, then went through my normal editing process on the resulting image. Once you get comfortable with Lightroom and have your process down, this can be done fairly quickly.

(I suspect under the covers Lightroom is using the same Adobe Camera Raw facilities Dale is using directly in his post above.)

So; the complete steps for this:
1) In Library: Import into Lightroom
2) Select the shots going into the Pano
3) Photo/ Photo Merge/Panorama
4) Pull the resulting image into Develop and finish your edits
Yes- exactly as I do it in Photoshop. The "engine" to do this is the same in both Photoshop and Lightroom. I like Photoshop for the final edits since I can open the merged image in ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) where the adjustments are global and powerful. Once I get these adjustments or edits done, I can then open in Photoshop and do localized edits such burning, dodging, removing electric wires with tools, etc.

Here is one I did on the famous Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables (Miami) Florida.

Dale

Attachments

• Biltmore Hotel-Panorama.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
After years of paying the subscription, I finally told Adobe, "No more." If you want a photoshop lookalike, try Gimp - it's reasonably close in terms of features. For stitching panoramas, Adobe Bridge and Camera Raw are still free and the stitch function is very clean with good results. If you are after basic color correction functions, Camera Raw does quite well.

I finally reached the Enough! point when I realized if I had saved my subscription money for all those years, I could have purchased one H#ll of a camera instead. And for the Premiere users, try DaVinci Resolve - also free and very, very powerful.

After years of paying the subscription, I finally told Adobe, "No more." If you want a photoshop lookalike, try Gimp - it's reasonably close in terms of features. For stitching panoramas, Adobe Bridge and Camera Raw are still free and the stitch function is very clean with good results. If you are after basic color correction functions, Camera Raw does quite well.

I finally reached the Enough! point when I realized if I had saved my subscription money for all those years, I could have purchased one H#ll of a camera instead. And for the Premiere users, try DaVinci Resolve - also free and very, very powerful.
This discussion goes on and off periodically in the forum. I do not dispute that nobody wants to pay annually for Photoshop and there are substitutes available. My preference is to use what I have used for many years since I have learned many of its features, and they increase as the years go by. I know how to work the softwares, and I don't want to go through another learning curve. I can afford it too and it is not going to bend the needle for me. I'd rather use Photoshop and Lightroom even though I also own NIK software, Luminar, and ON1. I have finally somewhat mastered Premier Pro, so for me, I don't care that much about the cost. I'm a retired doctor, I have enough money to live on for years and would rather use it for this than leave it in my will.

Won't argue with your logic! (I can afford it as well, it just began to bug me.)

And a correction - gotta have a serial numbered & "registered" product such as Photoshop Elements for Camera Raw to work... darn it. (Or Lightroom, After Effects, or the full Photoshop.)

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Won't argue with your logic! (I can afford it as well, it just began to bug me.)

And a correction - gotta have a serial numbered & "registered" product such as Photoshop Elements for Camera Raw to work... darn it. (Or Lightroom, After Effects, or the full Photoshop.)
I have the official real thing. I make a pleading call to Adobe every renewal year and for the past 3 years they have "asked their supervisor" and given me the 40% discount, so I am paying $29.99 for the Adobe suite per month, so approximately $360.00 a year for the entire suite. Whenever I activate one of the programs there is a check to be sure I am an official subscriber. I can switch my two devices anytime and anywhere in the world by de-activating one unit and activating another on any computer in the world. I spend $360 for two evenings out these days. My retirement portfolio fluctuates by thousands each day. So, as I say, the cost will not bend the curve for me. I can call for Adobe support anytime on any software, and they will screen share with me and get all of my questions answered. This will certainly sound smug, but I am staying with Adobe, for the same reason I go to a nice restaurant, or have a nice car and a nice house.

I have been using both for many, many years. I now pay for a discounted (40%) plan for the entire suite, which I don't need, but I do use 5 components- Photoshop CC (Creative Cloud), Lightroom (LrC) Lightroom classic, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. Also with the suite I get PDF so I can edit PDFs. I have always mainly edited in Photoshop and only use Lightroom for timelapses since my timelapse software (LRTimelapse5) uses Lightroom for processing.

I do most of my panoramas using 3 or 4 single shots, with a 30% overlap, and process them in Photoshop CC 2021 using Adobe Camera RAW and Bridge. By right clicking on the three or 4 images (or more) in Bridge, you can select all RAW (DNG) images, then CTRL+A (select all) and right click on any image and click MERGE TO PANOROMA. The image appears almost instantly. You can do the same with Lightroom. I tried PTGui trial and never was able to get it right.
For sure, I would get the $9.99/month Photoshop/Lightroom package. There are some many updates (all free) to Photoshop that I love some of the new ones. Google that to learn about t

For sure, I would get the $9.99/month Photoshop/Lightroom package. There are some many updates (all free) to Photoshop that I love some of the new ones. Google that to learn about them.
Iam a beginner to photo/video editing, and currently use Filmora to edit my videos....Can you edit videos in LR/PS?...Also would you say they would be okay for beginners to learn how to use?

I'm the same in that I can afford it but I disagree with the subscription approach which for my use case costs significantly more money for no benefit. I used to upgrade Lightroom every few years mostly when I needed updated raw support with upgrades costing around £60. I'm right on the limit of support with the last standalone Lightroom with a Sony A9 and would need to upgrade Lightroom soon for around £60 or even a little more but if I'd used the subscription model instead it would have cost me a ridiculous £760. I appreciate the model does suit some users but regardless of how much spare money I have I strongly disagree with having to spend large amounts of money on Adobe products for no benefit.

I did start with Lightroom because it was well supported but certainly wouldn't start with it now unless the use case suits it. I need to get on with changing to alternative editing software and also have to change my video editing software for different reasons so I don't have any alternative recommendations.

Will it create or put together those tiny planets...They look great.
You can create a tiny planet in photoshop with a distortion field. You need to make a 360 degree panorama with your drone so the edges can be seemlessly stitched together. Then you have to make the image square and flip it 180 degrees. After those steps, you open Filter- Distort- Polar Coordinates. It will stretch the photo into a circle to where the edges meet. SEE ATTACHED: I used an Air 2S Spherical Pano and converted it in Photoshop. Takes less than a minute.Air2S 360 Pano Small Planet.jpg .

Reactions: Hidden

If you have good antivirus scanning software and are wise about web surfing and site safety, you can find free offline versions (hacked) of photoshop and lightroom. I have both. I was shocked when I found out they were doing this online subscription system. Because Adobe products are associated with Mac, I'm not suprised they created a totally pay as you go platform for photo and video editing.

Last edited:

I also didn't want to pay a subscription. So I ended up purchasing Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements. They both do surprisingly well. They have enough features to satisfy amateurs, and even advanced amateurs at times. The best part is that you pay no monthly subscription.

BTW, I'm still using the standalone desktop version of Lightroom 6.14, and it still works very well. I had thought about purchasing a 3rd-party photo-editing software, but I have years of experience with Lightroom and didn't want to have to learn another program.

Reactions: Bryan L
I also didn't want to pay a subscription. So I ended up purchasing Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements. They both do surprisingly well. They have enough features to satisfy amateurs, and even advanced amateurs at times. The best part is that you pay no monthly subscription.

BTW, I'm still using the standalone desktop version of Lightroom 6.14, and it still works very well. I had thought about purchasing a 3rd-party photo-editing software, but I have years of experience with Lightroom and didn't want to have to learn another program.
Whatever you do, do NOT 'update' your stand-alone Lightroom!! When I did that, it immediately became subject to subscription. So I'm probably going to get the Elements version of Photoshop so that I can still use Camera Raw. For our videos, I'm still going to have to say go to Davinci Resolve. Free and very, very powerful.

Reactions: PAW

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242