DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Likelihood of a Mavic 3 Pro with a MTOM < 900 g for EASA A1 compliance

globetrotterdrone

Reactions
Hi there fellow drone flyers,

I wonder, if some of you think that the Mavic 3 Pro, as good as it sounds on the technical details, hugely missed the point of a C1 rating in EASA airspace. As it specifies by now, you will get a C2 rating and thus be obliged to fly in A2 subcategory as follows:

drones-requirements-categories.JPG

So while the US and China is most likely the main market for DJI to operate in and the drone itself just gains some weight through all the tech inside, I cannot stop to think why DJI did not provide a lighter battery as they did with the Mini 3 Pro for instance to just slip below the 900 g threshold?

As nothing has been rumoured or announced by DJI and this drone is going to sell very soon (7 days from now), I very much doubt we will see some official alternative here.

But what do you think, what do you make of it if you are European or doing your flights mainly in EASA airspace (so also effects tourists from other countries bringing it into the EU)?

Personally, as said before, I think DJI missed a big opportunity here, even having the A2 certificate myself.
But they might think, that this type of "open" flying is covered by the Mini 3 Pro anyway (which I certainly have for this purpose).

As a landscape and cityscape photographer the 2 additional focal lengths though would be quite handy.

Addition: thinking a bit more, the reason why DJI might not even thought about battery reducing trick, might come from the fact, that the Mavic 3 Pro is in standard configuration C2. The Mini 3 Pro is by standard C1. So I guess, you cannot alter your original C rating lower than you started with (but I am not an expert on legal things). So, while the Mini 3 with the battery plus voids its C0 rating (and you are responsible for it), you cannot fall below the C2 rating even with a lighter battery.

Last edited:
Good catch, yes, your are more or less restricted now with the Mavic 3 series to C2 rather than C1 (except you buy refurb or the remains on the shelves).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR