DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Limitation of 3D cameras in detecting obstacles

new2mavic

Reactions
Bored today and did an experiment. The craft is an M2P. The test confirmed that the 3D cameras at the front cannot detect obstacles the images of which comprise of horizontal lines only.

The stick used in the test is thin but it can be seen that if it is not positioned horizontally, the 3D cameras can pick it up with no problem.

Last edited:
Bored today and did an experiment. The craft is an M2P. The test confirmed that the 3D cameras at the front cannot detect obstacles the images of which comprise of horizontal lines only.

The stick used in the test is thin but it can be seen that if it is not positioned horizontally, the 3D cameras can pick it up with no problem.

Brilliant! Thanks. I could speculate that it’s the same for an MPP. Time for some tests...

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Certainly explains the inability of my M2P to see overhead utility wires.
Now if we could get the utilities to zig-zag wires from pole to pole...we would all be golden ;) Very interesting study and wonder why someone didn't catch this MUCH Earlier. Luckily for me SC hasn't a clue what N/S/E/W is and they run their roads and such all over creation and I tend to fly in the given compass orientation...so cheers for SC and flying DJI :p

Noted that the Main Camera AF is working brilliantly as he moves pole :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
walkedaway