DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of Sight Friend or Foe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly new to flying and trying to sort the laws from the reality.
Law seems to be line of sight but is this reasonable or even a good idea all the time?
Do most of you keep your eyes moron the screen, more on the craft or even fully one or the other and does that change?
I find my perception of where the craft is after it gets a bit away from me is vastly different than the camera.
The camera/screen seems far better in accuracy as I can be sure I am over an object eyeballing it and then check the camera to find out I am still quite a distance from it. I get concerned that maybe objects are closer in the screen than they appear but I find even when visually I am SURE I am well beyond a point, I can look at teh screen and see it is still in front of the drone.
With the craft easily lost to the eye with hills/trees ect in the horizon as is typically here in the pacific northwest it seems to me that while an unobstructed line to the controller is needed or at least preferable most of the time that it would be safest if I visually keep a general idea of where the craft is but keep my eyes on the screen to navigate.
I find however if the craft is close to me such as me following along a trail closer to ground level direct visual sight feels more accurate than the camera.

I am not myself a fan of following laws or regulations that are senseless and even less apt to obey one that actually makes me less safe and risks my craft.
FAA requires line of sight. Can you see a knat at 3m on a cloudy day, then your knat sized drone at 300m (1000ft) on the same day should be a breeze. Think about it...many YouTube vids relating to distance records. A knat flying 10km away 121m high? You know politicians always lie with a straight face. "Sir, I lost sight of it. I thought..." Personally, I always stay within line of sight?And Im half blind. What is the basis for line of sight?

(Mod Removed Inappropriate Comments)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is 3 years old.
Yes and is no need for it to be bought back as there plenty of other
ones to comment in.
@Heretik i suggest you read our guidelines as what I removed
will not be tolerated and will get you a formal warning.
Take this as a friendly one.

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member