DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of sight

Jacobegg

Reactions
So I know we have a line of sight rule. However is that until you can't see the aircraft or nothing between you and the aircraft?

Some places you can see for miles but spotting the Mavic in the sky would be very hard to do lol.

I am from Carlisle have you got your Mavic or are you like me still waiting ?
I am still waiting! I have a Phantom 3 Professional and a Phantom 4 so I'm quite happy to wait until it arrives. I would prefer it to be free from all the faults other people are experiencing too.

Reactions: kinsey
I have the Phantom 3 Advanced was going to get the 4 but the Mavic came along ;) Yeah I hope when mine comes it will be all sorted of faults.

But do I have to see it or is it unobstructed sight?
As long as you can actually see the drone, however small it looks, you are in line of sight.
If it is so far away that you cannot make it out, or it goes behind a cloud or a building, you are not in line of sight.
For safety, to stay legal and for peace of mind, you should stay in line of sight.

Reactions: The Editor
Some places you can see for miles but spotting the Mavic in the sky would be very hard to do lol.
The rule (law) in the UK is a maximum of 500m (but less if you are unable to see your aircraft without the aid of any visual enhancement (binoculars etc) other than normal eyesight glasses.

Yes. You must be able to see it at all times with unaided eyesight (other than glasses/contact lenses). However, irrespective, the maximum distance you can fly is 500m from you.
The exception to this would be BVLOS permission from the CAA via an OSC and it is highly unlikely to be granted if you are flying a quad since there is no redundancy.

I wonder if the mavic will be easy to see because it's a darker color?? It is smaller though... we will have to see

I wished the FAA made certain airspaces for drones. Like unrestricted drone areas
So out in the middle of nowhere you can fly and go as high, fast, and far as you want.

Reactions: Richard in Ky
I wished the FAA made certain airspaces for drones. Like unrestricted drone areas
So out in the middle of nowhere you can fly and go as high, fast, and far as you want.
This wouldn't really be viable as the airspace is used by other aircraft. I am happy with the current regualations and even 120 metres maximum height can get you into trouble if a low flying jet or helicopter comes too near.
I fly in the countryside and often see RAF jets and Search & Rescue helicopters so I make sure that I can see my drones at all times and am able to reduce height quickly enough to maintain safety at all times.

I wonder if the mavic will be easy to see because it's a darker color?? It is smaller though... we will have to see
No, it's harder to see than a Phantom
You need to see your drone at all times so that you can avoid other aircraft. You can't effectively do that by just looking at your screen.

Reactions: The Editor
does within line of site mean a tiny black speck just visible in the far distance or does it mean see it well enough to be able to control it..

there is quite a difference between the two..

trog

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute