DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of sight

I tend to manoeuvre my craft to its location using mostly LOS, then once I get to where I need to shoot, because that movement is slower and more controlled/predictable, I then will switch down to the iPad for focus, exposure, framing etc, but always keeping an eye on what is happening all around the area where I'm working.

BTW. It's a great comfort to hear so many people find it difficult, once you've taken your eyes off it, to locate your AC again when it's getting toward its limits (400ft up and 500m wide her in the UK). I am double damned too, as I have no hearing left side, so it's hard to locate it using sound too. I'm going to take an observer on paying gigs I think.

That's not true. The two major rules are: you have to have the ability to see your drone and that you do not fly over people.

It is correct. Part 107 allows a spotter, hobby (did) not. My initial comments were about someone use allowed their wife to watch under hobby flight... as in the past.

I must admit I’m one of the guys that looks mostly at the screen while flying:oops: you’ve got you map & direction of the craft on it which I rely on. The only time I look at my drone is when I’m bringing it in to land. Yep I abide by the rules set out by the CAA but never go out of line of sight... well the distance anyway;)

Also people use the screen more for taking pics & videos so I think there will be loads of us here guilty of that.

One problem is while looking at your drone, small dot in the sky then you look away, then you try and relocate it, it’s virtually impossible to findo_O
Same here. It could be 100 feet in near me and sometimes I have a hard time finding it without looking at the DJI map or listening for sound. But once I have it in sight I can mostly keep track of it, if the sky or background has enough contrast, another issue.

Reactions: Porky
First I think there should be some clarification on the terminology because in my opinion LOS (Line Of Sight) and VLOS (Visual Line Of Sight) are the same things, an unobstructed optical view line to the object in cause.
When people talk about the distance at where they can see the drone that is Visual RANGE.

That being said, I doubt people are respecting that distance after paying a grand and a half on a drone that is capable of a range of 4 miles just to keep it within 500 yards. If that is the case we all should have stuck to the Phantom 2.

Here, here! I'm reading this thread thinking "why have these people spend all that money on a drone when the $300 Parrot Bebop or $400 DJI Spark would have sufficed?" At most, these guys should have stuck with the Mavic Air. It's like old guys that buy Corvettes... Wait, looking at member ages...

Reactions: Prismatic
Same here, and I do need my eyes on the screen all the time since I’m a wedding filmmaker. I have a spotter with me all the time.

I believe they are still different, otherwise who would bother going through the time, effort and expense of getting your FAR Part 107?
There will shortly be a new “hobby “ test that will cover just the very basics. 107 will still be required for commercial use

Understand the principle of being situationally aware but the Mavic can disappear quite quickly depending on light conditions. On a brilliant day I could see it several hindered metres away as a tiny spot. Other days gone. But by a combination of the screen and looking out at where you are flying you can assure that you are flying safely. And yes sometimes I just hover and rotate slowly with the camera at 45 degrees down to be doubly sure. But often can’t actually see the drone. As always altitude unless you are close.

Reactions: Drgnfli
the drone must be IN LINE OF SIGHT....doesnt need to be IN SIGHT!
there must be no obstructions between the pilot and the drone...clear line of sight....(even tho its a mile away) still ok.

the drone must be IN LINE OF SIGHT....doesnt need to be IN SIGHT!
there must be no obstructions between the pilot and the drone...clear line of sight....(even tho its a mile away) still ok.
Nope. Must actually be able to see it without any visual aid except corrective glasses. That is spelled out.
What tends to be a blur is if a spotter is permissible in place of the operator having VLOS. That should be permissible.

Problem with relying on VLOS is perspective. Several weeks ago a helicopter looked like it was heading towards my AC as per VLOS, but when I turned AC to view FPV, it was higher and a few 100ft offshore (I was just onshore over sandy beach). Not much higher though, it looked like he was at around 400ft.

OMG! I have to say, there are so many different answers to the OP's question that he must be as confused as I am right now. It is pretty obvious that there are several different ways to interpret the rules to suit your own flying habits.
An observer in this case doesnt mean spectator. It means to use eyes other than the pilot in control to keep track of the aircraft. IF that is legal, it should be repealed. Let the Observer run the device screen.
VLOS and LOS are NOT the same thing. LOS is a term used for radio transmit towers and the like. FM radio signals travel LOS You coulsd also say it is similar to "as the crow flys". There can be mountains and buildings in between BLOCKING the VLOS but not the LOS. There is no use for the term LOS in RC aircraft. SO it must be IN VISUAL RANGE OF UNAIDED VISION.

Oxymoron: individuals who pay $1000-2000 for a UAV with GPS and travel distance of 4 plus miles, asking about VLOS.

Oxymoron: individuals who pay $1000-2000 for a UAV with GPS and travel distance of 4 plus miles, asking about VLOS.

I know right? It's like when I bought my Challenger or GSXR1000, people ask, "why do you need something that fast when the speed limit is 70mph?" What's the correct response to such a question? Because I'm a scofflaw? Because I have no regard for the rules? Should I lie and claim to never break the speed limit? Why buy a drone that flies 1600' high and 5 miles away if the rules are 400' high and MAYBE a couple thousand feet away on a good day? Why have an orbit feature if as soon as the drone gets behind something you've broken the law? Why demand way points? Why have maps if you have to be looking at the drone the whole time? Why complain about return to home or precision landing if the drone never leaves your sight?

I know right? It's like when I bought my Challenger or GSXR1000, people ask, "why do you need something that fast when the speed limit is 70mph?" What's the correct response to such a question? Because I'm a scofflaw? Because I have no regard for the rules? Should I lie and claim to never break the speed limit? Why buy a drone that flies 1600' high and 5 miles away if the rules are 400' high and MAYBE a couple thousand feet away on a good day? Why have an orbit feature if as soon as the drone gets behind something you've broken the law? Why demand way points? Why have maps if you have to be looking at the drone the whole time? Why complain about return to home or precision landing if the drone never leaves your sight?

My friend has a Honda Firestorm and lives on the North Wales (stunning motorbike country) and he assured me he never breaks the speed limit.

I just have exceptionally good eyesight and can see my MA at 1600m (although note I genuinely do not break 120m altitude as it is the altitude that is much more likely to cause issues in the locations I fly).

With regards to cars, the reason doesn't necessarily have to be speed but rather acceleration.

I can say there are many situations where FPV can be a better judge of perspective than VLOS.

Am confused by line of sight rule which appear to be very important. My problem is all the Drone Pilots I know use an ipad or iphone to control the Drone not one looks into the Sky when flying, does this action make them/me illegal as we are breaking the golden rule?

This is equal to "You must come to a full, complete stop at a stop sign." It's one of those rules that everybody knows about, but few obey. If you ever get a job mapping 2000 acres, that whole "line of sight" thing goes out the window.

I just have exceptionally good eyesight and can see my MA at 1600m (although note I genuinely do not break 120m altitude as it is the altitude that is much more likely to cause issues in the locations I fly).

1600m??!!??! That's insane. A MAVIC?!?!?! On my best day under perfect conditions I can BARELY my Phantom 2,000' (700m??). You must have Eagle Eyes.

D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw