DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of Sight

Who’s to say he wasn’t using posted observers and was in direct contact with them.

So, new to the drone thing, loving it, but have a question. I’ve read up on “line of sight” and in the forums, so think I have a clear understanding of what the definition means, but then WOW, I watch videos posted here and elsewhere and am saying to myself “there’s no way this was done keeping line of sight”. Am I missing something? Even the drone ranges make me shake my head and wonder. I just purchased an MA and can’t see that thing 1000 feet out much less 1 or 2 miles... Please help me understand. Thanks!
I am with you on that I can’t see mine past 400 feet .
Having the drone dark gray does not help matters they should all be fluorescent orange . Remember the Mavic 2 has a down facing LED that does work pretty good

true. i always use my firehouse strobes day or night. i've been able to see the white all the way out to 10,000 feet before i hit the rth and i could see it change to red/green when the drone turned around. this was at 9pm and that's nearly 2 miles.
Do you have a link to the strobes you use? I guess my eyes are really crap because I lose sight of my M2P all the time even though I'm within 1000' to 1500' most to the time. The darn thing has such a low profile it makes it tough to spot under most conditions. Strobes would help for sure but I'm a little concerned about it showing up in video or photos ... any problems with that?

I am with you on that I can’t see mine past 400 feet .
Having the drone dark gray does not help matters they should all be fluorescent orange . Remember the Mavic 2 has a down facing LED that does work pretty good
They make plenty of skins for any type of drone. Check out Decalgirl.com. They have many patterns and colors to choose from.

Firehouse Technology "ARC" High Intensity Cree LED Strobe Light for Drones FAA 107 Compliant Fits all Quadcopters DJI Inspire 1, 2, Phantom Typhoon H MAVIC Q500 Spark RC Planes
Here's where I got mine:

Thank you for your positive contribution to this thread. Actually, not really sure what you’re trying to say here...

I agree here. I acknowledge personal opinion but typically fly in uncontrolled airspace where LAANC has no affect on what I do. I tend to only fly about 1000-1500 feet away but on a ocean coast with clear visibility for miles I don’t see an issue flying a mile down the coastline in VLOS the entire time.

IMG_5271.JPG for night flying original Lume Cubes add a massive advantage to VLOS as well. This is my bird 3300 feet out, 250 feet up. It may be just me, but fairly easy to see the bright light, it is my Mavic, and there are no other lights in the sky. The Lume Cubes were at 50% power here.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Not allowed to use electronic communication with your observers and contact must be direct so within talking distance.
Assuming from your profile that this is in the US. This is the first I've heard of it. Can you, or someone else, please post a link to the FAA ruling on this? I'd like to read up on it.

Assuming from your profile that this is in the US. This is the first I've heard of it. Can you, or someone else, please post a link to the FAA ruling on this? I'd like to read up on it.
This may help ... you CAN use two-way radios. "
The communication method must be determined prior to operation. This effective communication requirement would permit the use of communication-assisting devices, such as a hand-held radio, to facilitate communication from a distance. "

Reactions: Thomas B and okw
Do you have a link to the strobes you use? I guess my eyes are really crap because I lose sight of my M2P all the time even though I'm within 1000' to 1500' most to the time. The darn thing has such a low profile it makes it tough to spot under most conditions. Strobes would help for sure but I'm a little concerned about it showing up in video or photos ... any problems with that?
Firehouse Technology "ARC" High Intensity Cree LED Strobe Light for Drones FAA 107 Compliant Fits all Quadcopters DJI Inspire 1, 2, Phantom Typhoon H MAVIC Q500 Spark RC Planes
Here's where I got mine:

those would be the ones. imo, the best ones out there and easily seen even in daytime. it just makes flying so much more comfortable for me even thought they are a pain to turn on and off (the old style). get the new style, they are brighter. i have red and green facing forward and two whites (one old, one new) facing the rear. can't miss my drone at night. :)

This may help ... you CAN use two-way radios. "
The communication method must be determined prior to operation. This effective communication requirement would permit the use of communication-assisting devices, such as a hand-held radio, to facilitate communication from a distance. "

In order for VO to "Assume Visual Requirements" of the aircraft that VO has to be in close proximity to the RPIC and communicating verbally. A remote VO does NOT extend the RPIC's VLOS capabilities. At any time during the flight the RPIC has to have the ABILITY to look up and assume VLOS responsibilities.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS