DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi and Google Earth

GH02050

Reactions
I've been taking in an incredible amount of information regarding the Mavic 2 pro and it capabilities over the past week. Today I came across a tutorial that explained how to create a waypoint path in Google Earth to maintain an altitude relative to ground level and import that path into Litchi for use in a mission. This is incredibly cool. I am already planing a mission that will use this.

Any of you guys or girls Google Earth in this way or in other useful ways?

Reactions: Ado
When you use it make sure you maintain VLOS and have your thumb on the pause button, or make sure you are well above the ground level. Google Earth has been known to miss-measure ground level and will not accurately account for trees or other obstructions that may be new.

I use it to plan out hyperlapses. I used it more this way when I used Litchi to do that over the built-in hyperlapse function the M2P has now. Here is a tutorial I did:

This is great, thank you for sharing. Dropping the route back into Google Earth for a virtual preview is a great idea.

I've been taking in an incredible amount of information regarding the Mavic 2 pro and it capabilities over the past week. Today I came across a tutorial that explained how to create a waypoint path in Google Earth to maintain an altitude relative to ground level and import that path into Litchi for use in a mission. This is incredibly cool. I am already planing a mission that will use this.

Any of you guys or girls Google Earth in this way or in other useful ways?
Litchi can create a relative-to-ground mission on its own (turn on "use on line elevations" in settings and then tick the "above ground" box after creating a waypoint, or batch select and do multiples at once), but I personally DO start in Google Earth using a path relative to ground so I can rotate the view in 3d and see terrain, then I bring the path in to Litchi, then fly with Virtual Litchi Mission and make further changes in gimbal pitch or yaw if necessary. Bear in mind that elevation changes occur gradually from one waypoint to the next, so placing points on opposite sides of a hill may result in a mishap. Also, leave 15-20 feet minimum for a buffer from any object, and make sure to set your first waypoint directly above your takeoff location.

VLM browser version for Chrome is HERE. The link above is for the PC installation version.

I have both edge and chrome on my laptop. Which works best with this?
Edge isn't good for anything, I use Chrome.

I can also confirm that Litchi Virtual Mission 2.3.0 does work on windows 10 pro. I just successfully installed it and fly my virtual mission. Thank you Aerial-Pixel.

Reactions: RunnerGuy
Edge isn't good for anything, I use Chrome.

I can also confirm that Litchi Virtual Mission 2.3.0 does work on windows 10 pro. I just successfully installed it and fly my virtual mission. Thank you Aerial-Pixel.
Glad to help!

Is the link that appears above for the VLM 2.3.0 version you refer to?
If you want to use the Windows App like I use in the video you can download the latest version HERE
Or the Chrome Extension HERE

I use it to plan out hyperlapses. I used it more this way when I used Litchi to do that over the built-in hyperlapse function the M2P has now. Here is a tutorial I did:
I always say that this video made me "almost" a professional pilot, lol. By incorporating google earth into the equation using Virtual Litchi Mission (VLM) you can preview your whole mission and plan ahead to avoid obstacles. I always survey the path in the actual site before flying since google earth is not 100% up to date and live in Miami where there is a new high rise building popping up every month.

I always say that this video made me "almost" a professional pilot, lol. By incorporating google earth into the equation using Virtual Litchi Mission (VLM) you can preview your whole mission and plan ahead to avoid obstacles. I always survey the path in the actual site before flying since google earth is not 100% up to date and live in Miami where there is a new high rise building popping up every month.
Good advice!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrantleyB