DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi, calibrate compass, how ? Instructions please for a deaf person.

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
From what I have read it seems there may be verbal instructions issued but if there are I can not hear them, I am deaf.
When I touch the message I do not see anything happen. I ended up having to switch to Go4 and calibrate it there, then switch back to Litchi for the flight.
Can someone walk me, step by step through the procedure in Litchi please ?

From what I have read it seems there may be verbal instructions issued but if there are I can not hear them, I am deaf.
When I touch the message I do not see anything happen. I ended up having to switch to Go4 and calibrate it there, then switch back to Litchi for the flight.
There's never any need to recalibrate the compass unless you modify the drone.
Is there any reason you are wanting to calibrate the compass?

Is there any reason you are wanting to calibrate the compass?
Yes because the drone had been inadvertently set down near magnets and despite
1) switching the drone off and on several times, see
https://mavicpilots.com/attachments/litchi-locations-and-logs-png.176632/
whilst it was well away from those magnets and
2) several reboots of both Go4 and Litchi
the warning persisted and the drone would not start its motors until the compass was calibrated.

Can you help with the request I actually made ?

Yes because the drone had been inadvertently set down near magnets and despite
1) switching the drone off and on several times, see
https://mavicpilots.com/attachments/litchi-locations-and-logs-png.176632/
I can only guess that you posted the wrong link there ??

Can you help with the request I actually made ?
Litchi doesn't work with my current drone, so I can't.
But it's not a Litchi compass or a DJI GO 4 compass.
It matters not which app you use, the act of calibrating does exactly the same thing.
You can calibrate the compass in whichever app allows you do do it.

I can only guess that you posted the wrong link there ??
No I didn't, it works correctly for me on a tablet when the link was created on laptop.

Compare the m2p flights, they are all after 06:26, with the DATs, There are 3 m2p DATs prior to 06:26, i.e. 26, 27, 28 with no corresponding flights.

No I didn't, it works correctly for me on a tablet when the link was created on laptop.

Compare the m2p flights, they are all after 06:26, with the DATs, There are 3 m2p DATs prior to 06:26, i.e. 26, 27, 28 with no corresponding flights.
Sorry .. I can't see what that has to do with whatever you are talking about.

Sorry .. I can't see what that has to do with whatever you are talking about.
Ah OK, switching the drone off and on did not clear the compass warning nor did moving the drone away from the magnets.
Since the DAT number increments at each switch on they support my saying that rebooting the drone did not fix the compass problem otherwise I would have flown earlier than DAT 29.

It doesn’t hurt to recalibrate the compass which it seems that you did. It has been a while since I had a drone that used Go4, but when I did with my Mavic Air 1 it asked me to calibrate compass frequently which never made sense to me. I never get this error with my M3. I used to fly with Litchi and never had it give this error. It gave me lots of audio feedback on its flight status which I can imagine you would miss. If I was getting an error message I could not clear I would be calling DJI support.

It would scare me to fly if I were deaf since I have had low flying helicopters appear just above the tree line at the edge of a field where my only warning was the sound of its approach. Perhaps you avoid flying in such locations.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
My Mavic 2 Pro asks me for calibration each time.After doing it a few times,I read that it has a glitch and have flown many times without calibration and encountered no problems.

My Mavic 2 Pro asks me for calibration each time.After doing it a few times,I read that it has a glitch and have flown many times without calibration and encountered no problems.
One of my Mavic 2 drones does the same. If you go in the settings and check sensor state, you will see that the compass is perfectly fine.

It shouldn't (at least in my mind) matter how you calibrate a compass, so long as the recalibration process works. However the problem may stem from the program not realizing the process has taken place if you don't use the program's own process?

If you have successfully calibrated the compass using Go4, perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling Litchi will resolve the problem. When installing, Litchi may see or assume the compass is set and work as normal. I realize it's a PITA to do this, but unless someone can either come up with written instructions for Litchi or a hearing person can translate the process for you, I'm at a loss to provide help. Maybe a PM/email to Litchi would spur them to provide written instructions?

When installing, Litchi may see or assume the compass is set and work as normal.
The compass and its calibration is completely independent of whatever app is being used to fly the drone.
Any app will see output from the compass exactly the same way.

When starting my M2 pro with Litchi if I received a compass warning I would shut down, restart with Go 4 and do the compass dance. As I would recall correctly I could then restart Litchi after shutting down Go 4. This always work. I assumed that GO 4 was a DJI app that did all the preflight systems check and allows ALL the fine tuning of rotation speeds, climb speeds etc. Litchi was like a flight director sitting on top of the underlying tweaked aircraft. Worked for me. I frequently needed to calibrate that bird. My Mavic 3 rarely.

I think the problem was mine, I was expecting the warning to be interactive i.e. touch it and it opens the relevant menu.
I subequently found
post #3 gave me a clue as I think I saw yellowish lights.
A scroll down the "aircraft" menu showed "Calibrate Compass", previously I hadn't scrolled down enough - I think - and sure enough when I triggered the calibration the LEDs went solid yellow.
However they switched to solid green after a few nose-horizontal turn, I then pointed the nose up and did a few more turns and they reverted to flashing green.

Reactions: tstr14
I frequently needed to calibrate that bird.
You frequently had to calibrate the Mavic 2 because DJI (for no reason anyone can understand) made it ask for recalibration despite there being no physical reason for it.
You don't need to recalibrate the Mavic 3.
If you think the app is telling you to, the usual reason is that you've put the drone down where it's affected by magnetic interference and the solution is to switch it off, move away from the problem and start again.

A less common reason is a ridiculous false alarm that tells you that you have a compass error and should recalibrate.
i-n7NR5fR-M.jpg

No amount of recalibrating or moving the drone will fix the issue.
But tap the red warning and it shows you this explanation.
i-jKfsSqB-M.jpg

This is just DJI being stupid. It has nothing to do with the compass.
The solution is to light the area around the drone with a bright flashlight or car headlights.
Fortunately is doesn't happen often, but I've encountered it six times now.

• Wow
Reactions: Capt KO
Which app and where in the menus ? I don't recall a "sensor state" but that isn't anything to go by.
It is the Mavic 2, so the app is Go4. There is a submenu with "sensor state", I think it is under an advanced menu setting.
It shows the state of the IMU and compass, and tells you with green, yellow and red lines if it's OK or not.
Every time the one M2Pro gives me the "compass error, please calibrate" message, I check the sensors and it is perfectly fine. The radar display shows correct heading. So it is a false warning. My other Mavic 2 drones don't behave like that.

• Love
calibrate with dji first then go to litcki dji has a picture on go 4 i know

It is the Mavic 2, so the app is Go4. There is a submenu with "sensor state", I think it is under an advanced menu setting.
It shows the state of the IMU and compass, and tells you with green, yellow and red lines if it's OK or not.
Every time the one M2Pro gives me the "compass error, please calibrate" message, I check the sensors and it is perfectly fine. The radar display shows correct heading. So it is a false warning. My other Mavic 2 drones don't behave like that.
Spot on thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FSLpilot