DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi Mission. Please give tips. Thanks

BingErr

Reactions
I bought Litchi on black Friday and used it for a few weeks, but then the weather got nasty and when it was subzero and windy I didn't really trust my drone flying on it's own. Soon the snow will melt and I'll get back out there making Litchi missions, so how many people here are using Litchi and are there any tips you could give after watching my video. I know the side-to-side movement is a little jerky here and I want my flights to be smoother. I know a lot of that probably has to do with the weather. Anyway, thought I'd share a reflight of my very first public mission. Although this time I got in a location that I DIDN'T lose connection during the entire flight. Also set the focus to infinite and I think that made it a little worse. Do you guys leave it on automatic focus, but do a manual exposure when doing a Litchi mission?

I bought Litchi on black Friday and used it for a few weeks, but then the weather got nasty and when it was subzero and windy I didn't really trust my drone flying on it's own. Soon the snow will melt and I'll get back out there making Litchi missions, so how many people here are using Litchi and are there any tips you could give after watching my video. I know the side-to-side movement is a little jerky here and I want my flights to be smoother. I know a lot of that probably has to do with the weather. Anyway, thought I'd share a reflight of my very first public mission. Although this time I got in a location that I DIDN'T lose connection during the entire flight. Also set the focus to infinite and I think that made it a little worse. Do you guys leave it on automatic focus, but do a manual exposure when doing a Litchi mission?

I like it a lot but if you are going to speed up any footage more than x2 you need to use a shake reduction software. You honestly didn’t need to speed up as fast as you did and never speed up a panning or tilting maneuver.

I like the fast freeze fast speed variation but you need a smooth transition. It’s known as speed ramp in, speed ramp out. I would reccomend limiting your usage of “ramp in, freeze, ramp out” to once or twice a scene as it can be easy to wear out the effectiveness.

The key to smooth flight in Litchi is to use “interpolate” waypoints. When you have a waypoint looking at one thing or direction and then the next waypoint the thing or direction changes you need to put at least one waypoint in between set to “interpolate.” Interoplate tells the drone to transition halfway from the last waypoint to the next. Add additional interpolate waypoints to further draw out the transition.

Last edited:
I like it a lot but if you are going to speed up any footage more than x2 you need to use a shake reduction software. You honestly didn’t need to speed up as fast as you did and never speed up a panning or tilting maneuver.

I like the fast freeze fast speed variation but you need a smooth transition. It’s known as speed ramp in, speed ramp out. I would reccomend limiting your usage of “ramp in, freeze, ramp out” to once or twice a scene as it can be easy to wear out the effectiveness.

The key to smooth flight in Litchi is to use “interpolate” waypoints. When you have a waypoint looking at one thing or direction and then the next waypoint the thing or direction changes you need to put at least one waypoint in between set to “interpolate.” Interoplate tells the drone to transition halfway from the last waypoint to the next. Add additional interpolate waypoints to further draw out the transition.
Great tips, I'll have to figure out how to ramp in and out of speed. I DO like to speed up and slow down a lot, so I probably will keep doing that. I especially like to do it in a Litchi mission because I want to include the entire mission, but not be a mind-numbingly boring 17 minute video. I'll also drop the whole video on it's own track in Adobe Premier next time and do a Warp Stabilizer effect to see it that cleans it up a bit. Worth a shot anyway. I'll also make sure my app is set to interpolate. Pretty sure it is but I'll check. Thanks for the input.

Great tips, I'll have to figure out how to ramp in and out of speed. I DO like to speed up and slow down a lot, so I probably will keep doing that. I especially like to do it in a Litchi mission because I want to include the entire mission, but not be a mind-numbingly boring 17 minute video. I'll also drop the whole video on it's own track in Adobe Premier next time and do a Warp Stabilizer effect to see it that cleans it up a bit. Worth a shot anyway. I'll also make sure my app is set to interpolate. Pretty sure it is but I'll check. Thanks for the input.

Forsure and do what you like best. Every rule is meant to be broken.

Interpolate is a setting for individual waypoints not like an app setting. I went into a great deal of detail with screen shots this previous post on interpolate waypoints.

Yea warp stabilizer will do the trick!

Also you know I use speed up slow down a lot in my footage too but I will use 100% speed as my "slow" and 2x as my fast. On some occasions I will use 4x but that's really as fast as I go. I might use a fast freeze(or slo-mo) fast to really emphasize something and that's what I mean by using it sparingly. I don't mean use speed variations sparingly I mean that real fast to real slow back to real fast.

Anyway if you are using premier the easiest way to do a speed ramp is to use the graph editor for speed remapping. The short video below does a good job explaining what I mean

Forsure and do what you like best. Every rule is meant to be broken.

Interpolate is a setting for individual waypoints not like an app setting. I went into a great deal of detail with screen shots this previous post on interpolate waypoints.

Yea warp stabilizer will do the trick!

Thanks for the explanation. I get interpolation now. Also glad there's a tutorial for speed ramp with graph editor using premiere. I'll have to use this on my next video. THANKS again. cheers!

Check your route on GoogleEarth between waypoints to make sure there are no indoor, subterranean or arborial sections of it going into buildings, hills or trees.

Last edited:

Since i am reading a lot about Litchi currently I wonder if that statement is true since interpolate only affects the gimbal pitch and not the aircraft heading.
Hopefully anyone may enlighten me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman