DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi on Android and iOS - Do I have to buy it twice?

No. I just think paying full price for it twice just to use it for one drone is a bit rubbish. Am I not allowed to think that?
I agree. Shouldn't have to pay for it twice. Often when you buy an application it comes with the iOS and Windows version with no additional cost. And yes Litchi is very capable app.

No. I just think paying full price for it twice just to use it for one drone is a bit rubbish. Am I not allowed to think that?
Im with you on that one ive got an apple tablet and an android phone i would like to use for vr

Reactions: Pablo
Amazon has litchi in their store. However If youve paid in Google Play store, you have to pay for Litchi again in amazon.
No worse than DJI selling a $700 monitor and having to buy the power adapter separate =/

Reactions: DaveyDrones
Of course you are!

However, you're unreasonable. Here's the exact situation:

You spend months designing and perfecting an adapter that makes it possible to safely tow an ultralight behind a Prius. It's extremely popular! Because of the popularity, you spend another few months designing and perfecting an adapter for the Honda Fit, reusing some of the Prius design, but also having to put in a lot of work to fit it to the Fit (pun intended).

A previous customer who bought the Prius version comes to you and demands that you give him one for his Fit, since he has one of those too. Why should he have to pay twice just to tow his ultralight behind a different car? After all, you make the same adapter for that car too.

That's the argument you all are making. The iOS and Android versions are two different products. Different code. Duplicate labor to maintain. What you are paying for, just as with the Fit version of the adapter, is the vendor's expertise, time, and effort in making a DIFFERENT PRODUCT that you now want. Yes, it's similar to another product he sells, but it's not the same -- the Pruis adapter won't work on a Fit. Just like the Android version of Litchi won't run (literally) on iOS.

You think just because they are functionally similar (they're not even identical, BTW -- there are a few feature differences), you seem to believe you own it.

Now, a cross-platform license is sometimes a feature that may be included in the software. If so, expect to pay more for the software an all platforms. Litchi has chosen to go with a lower-costs model, having people pay for the development and support only for the platform they're using.

Not sure what the ethical rationale is behind "buy it once, free forever everywhere". Other than greed.

Thinking of getting it ..is it any good and does it work
It did not work on my underpowered Android tablet but did on my wife's iPad. You have two hours after downloading to get a full refund if it does not work for you. For that reason, do not download until you are able to test within that two hour window.

If it will work on your platform it is a good program, especially the Waypoints function. I recommend getting it (or another) to have available if Go 4 crashes. For $25 US it is definitely worth the investment.

Remember that in the event of an incident during an in-warranty-period flight using Litchi you’ll have no warranty claim with DJI if something nasty happens and damage to the AC results. Even if it was a hardware failure. You’ll have no DJI flight record as evidence of whatever error had taken place.
Out of warranty? That’s different. If I had Litchi, I’d use it with my P4 but not the Air or MavPro since both are still juveniles.

Reactions: SaOuGenLa
Do you think it was cost-free to develop it on one of the platforms?
App development costs won't be the reason, most of the work is in the first platform. It's most likely the futile exercise of trying to get Apple to let you do that on IOS. Since they take a cut, they don't allow you to download an app for free that gets unlocked via third party store vouchers. There's special arrangements on subscription apps like Spotify but not on one-time purchase apps.

It's actually the reason I've refrained from buying Litchi, my platform changes based on the state of the DJI GO 4 app & Apple hardware. I've just about wrecked my iPhone X and this may be my last Apple device I own so buying it for what could be 6 months doesn't make sense. I've been saying that since the iPhone 5 though ?

Of course you are!

However, you're unreasonable. Here's the exact situation:

You spend months designing and perfecting an adapter that makes it possible to safely tow an ultralight behind a Prius. It's extremely popular! Because of the popularity, you spend another few months designing and perfecting an adapter for the Honda Fit, reusing some of the Prius design, but also having to put in a lot of work to fit it to the Fit (pun intended).

A previous customer who bought the Prius version comes to you and demands that you give him one for his Fit, since he has one of those too. Why should he have to pay twice just to tow his ultralight behind a different car? After all, you make the same adapter for that car too.

That's the argument you all are making. The iOS and Android versions are two different products. Different code. Duplicate labor to maintain. What you are paying for, just as with the Fit version of the adapter, is the vendor's expertise, time, and effort in making a DIFFERENT PRODUCT that you now want. Yes, it's similar to another product he sells, but it's not the same -- the Pruis adapter won't work on a Fit. Just like the Android version of Litchi won't run (literally) on iOS.

You think just because they are functionally similar (they're not even identical, BTW -- there are a few feature differences), you seem to believe you own it.

Now, a cross-platform license is sometimes a feature that may be included in the software. If so, expect to pay more for the software an all platforms. Litchi has chosen to go with a lower-costs model, having people pay for the development and support only for the platform they're using.

Not sure what the ethical rationale is behind "buy it once, free forever everywhere". Other than greed.
I know this is way out dated, but I came across this searching for an answer to the iOS/Android question for Litchi considering I use iOS for my Mavic 2 Pro and a CrystalSky for my Matrice 210.

That said your analogy could use some work. A ball hitch is a “universal” tool that allows a magnitude of vehicles to tow (whatever). You trying to pigeonhole a customization is an unreasonable aspect considering the variations in phones AND devices (Apple doesn’t just make phones and Litchi doesn’t just use phones).

So no, his wondering if that proverbial “universal ball hitch” was not an unreasonable question.

I know this is way out dated, but I came across this searching for an answer to the iOS/Android question for Litchi considering I use iOS for my Mavic 2 Pro and a CrystalSky for my Matrice 210.

That said your analogy could use some work. A ball hitch is a “universal” tool that allows a magnitude of vehicles to tow (whatever). You trying to pigeonhole a customization is an unreasonable aspect considering the variations in phones AND devices (Apple doesn’t just make phones and Litchi doesn’t just use phones).

So no, his wondering if that proverbial “universal ball hitch” was not an unreasonable question.
Agreed, not an unreasonable question.

Possibly better analogy: try asking Microsoft for a free copy of Office for Windoze, just because you bought Office for MacOS.

Many apps have you set up an account. Does Litchi not have you do that?
They didn't use to, but they do now pop up to sign into a Litchi specific account.

Which begs the question of course, couldn't that login now unlock either platform if you bought on one? Or are they rather reliant on the two platforms to verify app store/play store purchase?

But far as other apps, they don't do it either, if it's on two different platforms, there's no easy way to manage 1 person across different platforms that have no cross communication.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405