DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi on Smart Controller?

I just downloaded Litchi onto my SC for waypoint missions and I'm trying to get all the helpful info I can before I start using it. What Mission Hub program are you referring to? That would make mission planning easier then doing on the SC.
Sorry for late reply.

Litchi has a web based app called Mission Jub. You can do all of your planning there and then import the mission to Litchi on your smart controller. Here's a link to Litchi Mission Hub: Mission Hub - Litchi

I'm about to reset the device to default and load the Amazon store version of litchi. I'm not saying you absolutely could never make the Google store version work but honestly, it shouldn't be this hard and I don't have time to debug it when I need to be flying.

I would love to hear back from you to know if you find the Amazon version more stable now that you have reset the controller to factory settings. Would also love to see your final Timelapse!

I am pending on this one. I use Litchi Play version on my SC, just lagy some times.

I would love to hear back from you to know if you find the Amazon version more stable now that you have reset the controller to factory settings. Would also love to see your final Timelapse!

Hi There

OK, well as it stand as of 2 days ago I have managed to get the Google Play Store version of Litchi to operate correctly with a couple of issues neither critical. It is a little slow and chugs a bit and Google services crashes at least once every flight but that doesn't effect the operation of litchi. What I have noticed is that I feel it negatively effects the operation of Go4 *slightly* as far as stability goes but that might just be my imagination.

I am preparing for a week away from the 10th up around the Great Barrier Reef, I have all my approvals in place (no small feat) and obviously I want to fly so I'm going to have a try with the Amazon store version and see how that goes. As I'll be flying from vessels 25 miles off the coast I can't run home and pick up my other equipment if it's flaky so I'll reset the SC to factory over the next couple of days and try the Amazon Store version and hopefully that will be more stable. If not I'll be taking the iPad Mini with me.

I'll update you again early next week after I've had a few days to try it and form an opinion.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: scoble08 and ff22
Hi There

OK, well as it stand as of 2 days ago I have managed to get the Google Play Store version of Litchi to operate correctly with a couple of issues neither critical. It is a little slow and chugs a bit and Google services crashes at least once every flight but that doesn't effect the operation of litchi. What I have noticed is that I feel it negatively effects the operation of Go4 *slightly* as far as stability goes but that might just be my imagination.

I am preparing for a week away from the 10th up around the Great Barrier Reef, I have all my approvals in place (no small feat) and obviously I want to fly so I'm going to have a try with the Amazon store version and see how that goes. As I'll be flying from vessels 25 miles off the coast I can't run home and pick up my other equipment if it's flaky so I'll reset the SC to factory over the next couple of days and try the Amazon Store version and hopefully that will be more stable. If not I'll be taking the iPad Mini with me.

I'll update you again early next week after I've had a few days to try it and form an opinion.

Regards
Ari
Did you get to try it a bit more? Any difference over the Amazon version?

Did you get to try it a bit more? Any difference over the Amazon version?

Hi There

OK, I promised to follow up with impressions and here they are such as they are.

I returned yesterday late from a 8 day holiday on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. I took a M2P with me along with a heap of batteries, my traditional control setup of the iPad mini 5 as well as the smart controller. I took the iPad as I was still far from confident in the smart controller. I had tried and tested in several configurations before my departure and it was a "mixed bag" to say the least. After my last post above I had a near loss of an aircraft while flying an extended way point mission under Litchi where I had a disconnection and the aircraft did NOT return home OR continue the mission. When I re established contact I was at 12% battery, 800ft up and 1.8km away over the ocean. I had to perform and emergency landing on a beachfront property some 600m from my location and recover the aircraft. My smart device registered a heart beat of 147 when later checked LOL.

I want to say that while unsure at first that now after examining the logs and more experimentation I do *NOT* think this situation was caused in any way by the smart controller but considering the teething issues I had been having it rattled my already thin confidence. The issue was caused by the fact that settings when changed in the Go4 app are then stored in many cases on the aircraft and carry over on to Litchi and vice versa, in all the effort to debug the Smart Controller this slipped my mind. If you forget to change them back you can be caught out with inappropriate settings for the software in use and situation. I was flying with obstacle avoidance and smart return to home enabled in Litchi 9which I do not advise) because I been using that when flying with Go4 previously (where I do advise it) and this caused the aircraft to go into RTH mode when disconnected and then while flying back into the sun have dozens of false "proximity warnings" (which is a known issue with DJI drones all of it's own) causing the aircraft to halt and attempt to climb over the non existing obstacle dozens of times during the return trip climbing and expending battery all the way.

OK, enough background.

I have now tried the smart controller in three configurations with the following results and observations.

1. As it came out of the box with a 128Gb micro SD card and Go4 only.

The controller was somewhat flaky and had number of app crashes first time out. I followed various steps as suggested around the various forums including but not limited to a factory reset followed by downgrading the size of the micro SD card, limiting onboard video caching the 2GB of internal not sd storage and the unit became stable after these steps.

2. With Goole store, apps, maps etc all side loaded using the tutorials around the web in this forums and others.

You need to register you controller with Google to get access to the play store as a development device as it is not approved by them as a device. This is not hard however. As I've mentioned before I'm pretty tech savvy but even for those who are not It is quite doable and takes about half an hour (not including a reset) the first time around. Once again, it's a little flaky. Google services crashes almost every flight. It doesn't seem to affect the operation but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence either. Also it soon becomes obvious that the controller is working just that little bit hard for comfort. We all know that as far as it's processor/ram/android combination is concerned the smart controller is hardly cutting edge and you can tell it's working. Especially so with Litchi where the video feed frame rate starts to drop on complex missions and starts to become a little choppy. I realise it shouldn't, once the flight plan is uploaded to the aircraft in theory very little is handled by the controller from that point but none the less it does happen. I was in this configuration I almost lost the aircraft while testing, as I said, I don't attribute this to the controller but I was still dissatisfied so I thought I'd best try the third and suggested method.

3. As in configuration 1 out of the box with the suggested stability tweaks and then loading Amazon store litchi.

This is undoubtedly the pick of the three configurations. There is obviously less going on in the background and far as process overheads. There are still occasions when it is obvious that the controller is working at full capacity when running missions under Litchi but it does it without issue or complaint and smoother than with the Goole play version. Although weather was not great on the Barrier reef I flew about 15 times all with the smart controller using both Go4 and Litchi without a single incident. The most difficult day was flying from a vessel at Lady Musgrave Island Reef some 51 nautical miles out to sea. As you can imagine there is little margin for error but at the same time you need to limit equipment you carry aboard and I threw caution to the wind and left the iPad at home and took only the smart controller. It didn't let me down in any way and even with 25 knot winds gusting higher and a very limited space on deck to operate from the aircraft came home with no close calls and some epic footage. The extra bright screen was a brilliant help in the bright sunlight at sea I must say. I flew a mixture of Litchi and manual missions with DJI Go4.

I am never ever going to totally replace my iPad Mini 5 control setup with the smart controller. I admit that my use case scenario is probably more extreme that the average recreational drone pilot and as such there are always going to be situations where the extra power and versatility of the iPad setup is going to give me an edge in confidence while flying in front of the customer if nothing else BUT, the smart controller has proven capable enough for me to use in lighter situations where other factors such as time to get into the air and light equipment load tell out. I went away expecting to sell the smart controller when I returned, now I'm going to keep it as I realise it's not an "either/or" situation but rather a "both" as far as I am concerned.

Summary for power users with Litchi and the smart controller from my experience

1. Factory reset your controller before use
2. Use a fast smaller micro sd card (32G was plenty for me as I'm not caching video there only maps and apps) limit video cache to 2Gb (or disable) and save on internal storage.
3. Use Amazon Litchi, while it is probably little different to the Google play version there are fewer background processes running which gives noticeable improvement to stability and performance.
4. Always be aware that if you change a setting in Go4 that setting is very likely to be changed in Litchi. Make sure of your important settings like smart return to home and obstacle avoidance before flying if you have changed from one software to the other
5. Always, always ALWAYS. Do a cold reboot of your controller when changing from one software package to the other. I.E. If you've been using one actually turn the controller totally off and restart before using the the other. Many people simply suggest force closing the app but in reality it only takes moments more to do the cold reboot and adds confidence (in my eyes anyway).
6. Load as few (if any) third party apps to the smart controller.
7. Tethering range for wifi is substandard in my opinion also so keep your wifi source in your pocket (which of course introduces issues of it's own with RFI)

Personal observations

1. I feel the range of the smart controller is slightly less than that of the one that came with the aircraft and that is more apparent in cluttered environments but there is little in it.
2. I feel I get better battery life (more flights) out of the standard controller but again there's not a lot in it and my smart controller is new and battery life may improve with a few more charges.

Final comment. Don't let anyone tell you that Litchi can not be done with the Smart Controller. It most certainly can and in both the Google store and Amazon flavour but my choice would always be the Amazon version even with the poorer maps and a little care in setup makes a large difference in use. That said, I can't help but think that with a more modern octa core processor, double the ram, a more up to date and debugged version of android, cellular onboard (and perhaps a slightly larger screen) the Smart Controller would have indeed been worthy of the rest of it's undeniably excellent hardware build and have been "The One Controller to Rule Them All".

I would never buy a DJI aircraft that came packaged with the Smart Controller stand alone, I would always buy the smart controller as an add on but there is no denying with a bit of work and research you can make it work for you and well even with Litchi.

Finally, these are my experiences only, but I did register 3 copies of Litchi and spend many hours testing. I'm pretty happy that I am at the crux of where it's all at but of course your mileage may vary.

Please excuse the short story but if the feedback helps one person then it's good in my eyes.

Regards
Ari

OK, I promised to follow up with impressions and here they are such as they are.

Good morning Decado,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your findings with us. This article should be pinned! You really seem to have gone through a lot of testing and your great experiences flying drones make me confident in your analysis.

I’m still waiting on my smart controller (it’s been in the mail for 2 months now, coming from China … sigh) and I will do some testing on my own but you definitely gave me a place to start.

About “Use a fast smaller micro SD card”: how do you explain that? I couldn’t find anything specifically about that online.

About “Use a fast smaller micro SD card”: how do you explain that? I couldn’t find anything specifically about that online.

H Again

Needless to say when I first got my Smart Controller I was quite disappointed to take it out of the box and have the app crash on the very first flight and almost half of the flights there after. Especially so as in the previous three years flying with Apple devices I had not experienced a single application crash at all. At first I wondered if I had a faulty unit but once I did a web search I found that other people were having exactly the same issues as I was. Not everybody by any means but enough to realise that the S.C. has some issues.

There were a lot of possible "fixes" or stability improvements touted, some of the claims were a bit hard to believe but the tips I saw repeated the most here on the pilots forums, on other forums and within the YouTube drone community where I'm fairly active that actually seemed to improve things for those effected all involved steps that reduced the situational load on the unit. When you have a look at the specs of it you can understand why. It is reported to have the same specs as the Crystal Sky which is a Cortex-A17 up to 1.8GHz CPU and a ARM Mali-T764 GPU and it's not exactly bursting with RAM either. The most common error you will find in the logs is "out_of_memory_error". This is 4 or more year old technology and you wouldn't buy a smart phone with those sort of specs in this day and age. When you consider the multiple loads on the unit at any time it's obviously working at pretty well full capacity most of the time. The way the Litchi video feed footage is always slightly lagging and framey makes me think that also.

Taking this into account you can see why the most commonly suggested solutions are to make sure you force close all non used threads operating in the background (in fact I cold reboot mine when switching from Go4 to Litchi) and reducing the amount of processing it is doing in any way possible. This is why many people suggest not using more than 2Gb of video cache (or better still turn caching off altogether) and to cache it on the internal storage rather than the SD. That makes sense to me and the school of thought about using a smaller and faster sd card is simply to reduce the size of the file table the memory controller has to manage and to reduce the likely hood that the controller will need to cache video during the write process while doing everything else it needs to do. While I've not done any extensive technical tests to verify this it simply makes sense knowing what I now know about the S.C. hardware and in my case I've gone from an app crash every other flight to not one single crash since I implemented those changes.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: mr.jipi_
H Again

Needless to say when I first got my Smart Controller I was quite disappointed to take it out of the box and have the app crash on the very first flight and almost half of the flights there after. Especially so as in the previous three years flying with Apple devices I had not experienced a single application crash at all. At first I wondered if I had a faulty unit but once I did a web search I found that other people were having exactly the same issues as I was. Not everybody by any means but enough to realise that the S.C. has some issues.

There were a lot of possible "fixes" or stability improvements touted, some of the claims were a bit hard to believe but the tips I saw repeated the most here on the pilots forums, on other forums and within the YouTube drone community where I'm fairly active that actually seemed to improve things for those effected all involved steps that reduced the situational load on the unit. When you have a look at the specs of it you can understand why. It is reported to have the same specs as the Crystal Sky which is a Cortex-A17 up to 1.8GHz CPU and a ARM Mali-T764 GPU and it's not exactly bursting with RAM either. The most common error you will find in the logs is "out_of_memory_error". This is 4 or more year old technology and you wouldn't buy a smart phone with those sort of specs in this day and age. When you consider the multiple loads on the unit at any time it's obviously working at pretty well full capacity most of the time. The way the Litchi video feed footage is always slightly lagging and framey makes me think that also.

Taking this into account you can see why the most commonly suggested solutions are to make sure you force close all non used threads operating in the background (in fact I cold reboot mine when switching from Go4 to Litchi) and reducing the amount of processing it is doing in any way possible. This is why many people suggest not using more than 2Gb of video cache (or better still turn caching off altogether) and to cache it on the internal storage rather than the SD. That makes sense to me and the school of thought about using a smaller and faster sd card is simply to reduce the size of the file table the memory controller has to manage and to reduce the likely hood that the controller will need to cache video during the write process while doing everything else it needs to do. While I've not done any extensive technical tests to verify this it simply makes sense knowing what I now know about the S.C. hardware and in my case I've gone from an app crash every other flight to not one single crash since I implemented those changes.

Regards
Ari

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Is there any need to even add a SD card to the SC if you are caching to the internal memory ?

Also I’ve already installed litchi without a factory reset initially. What must I do now. Delete the app and factory reset and reinstall litchi?

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Is there any need to even add a SD card to the SC if you are caching to the internal memory ?

Also I’ve already installed litchi without a factory reset initially. What must I do now. Delete the app and factory reset and reinstall litchi?

Hi
You are quite correct that you don’t really have to run an sd card if you are not caching video. I choose to run a small (32Gb) fast card to store missions and cache maps to and keep as much of the system storage space free as possible.

If your S.C. is running well for you then there is no compelling reason to do a reset but it just eliminates that many possible variables if you are having issues. My first trade going back 40 years was as a telecommunications technician and although I hold no formal I/T quals there has been a lot of cross over into that field in my working life and it long ago became routine for me to do a factory reset on anything both before and after a firmware upgrade so it’s pretty natural to do so with the smart controller as well. It only takes me about 15 minutes including a reinstall of Litchi so I don’t really begrudge it. It took a bit longer when I was using play store litchi and had to install all the google services / maps etc but that’s no longer in play for me.

just FYI, I’ll be holding off on the new S.C. Update for a few weeks as I don’t fly a Mavic Air 2 and I heard reports of a few issues with it while on a live stream panel this morning although I stress that is second hand information. I have no personal experience of it but I can afford to play it safe as my S.C.is running as well as it ever has at the moment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15