DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi waypoints

kydroneman

Reactions
I read that a difference between the dji go app and litchi is you don't have to fly your waypoint mission beforehand and it could complete the mission if it loses signal. so if you lose signal, what happes to the mavic after completing the mission. does it still return home or just hover or if you turn your controller off, isn't that the same as losing signal. just askin' cause not clear on those features.

What many do is set the last waypoint at or near the Home Point. Then if connection is lost with the tablet or phone then the remote controller can be used to manually fly the bird down and land. Especially when it is right near or over you.

There are also other great features like using the Lichti online hub to use mapping and preconfigure the flight and way points, camera positions from an internet connected computer or device. There is also the Magic Leash. Oh and the best feature for some is FPV mode that splits the screen displayed and can be used with ones phone slotted into a pair of Google Cardboard style FPV goggles.

do you worry about the bugs on litchi that people have been reporting. I so want to pull triger on buying the software even though I do not even have my Mavic in hand. I always worry that they will jack up price in a few weeks on the app.

No. If you learn to fly in ATTI mode well and know how to orient the Mavic towards use when flying LOS then you should be proficient enough to fly it back manually. This is an important skill to master.
Where pilots get into trouble is when the fly beyond LOS and cannot determine which way the drone is pointing and "think" they are flying back towards the home point but in actuality are flying away from the home point even further.

Then battery runs out of juice and kaboom!

Reactions: marky153
I read that a difference between the dji go app and litchi is you don't have to fly your waypoint mission beforehand...<snip>... so if you lose signal, what happens to the mavic after completing the mission? does it still return home or just hover or if you turn your controller off, isn't that the same as losing signal....
You get a choice of "Finish Action" when you program the mission.
1) None = Hover
2) RTH (and land there)
3) Land (at final WPT)
4) Back to 1
5) Reverse.

So enroute signal loss occurs & for whatever reason it is never regained (maybe you dropped your RC into a lake) . Mavic completes mission and finishes with whatever action you have chosen as Finish Action. I use option 3) Land, as I am happy for it to do so unattended if need be.

The new DJI app GS PRO allows you to program the waypoints on the map, along with speed & altitude between waypoints and action at waypoints like photo or 360º movie, also to set the last waypoint action as Hover, land, or go home. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet as we are getting so much rain I am contemplating building an ARK. As this is just the first rendition of the app I only see it getting better.

Looks like this app does not use Google Maps and users are indicating that the maps are up to 3 years old. It is also mentioned that one cannot save previous waypoint missions and have to copy over a previous route to fly the same one again.

Seems like its useful to an extent and needs some updates.

Litchi is THE app to get once you master the basics of your drone..
The options and possibilities are limitless. For example you can pre-plan your mission from your computer at home for say 20 mins of fly time and 100s of waypoints way further than the connection between your remote and the drone .. so essentially you can loose conection to the drone and still go on its mission and then its can do all sort of things during the mission and it is 100% guaranteed that it will return home whatever happens.. like running out of battery or end of mission etc ..
Only thing to worry about is height of drone during mission (like a tall building or a tree in its flight path) or the return to home path which is a straight line might hit something tall if battery runs out during the mission. Otherwise you program the mission to have the last waypoints towards the home point.
The smoothness of the videos you can take using litchi can not be equaled by manual flying... it is cinema smooth perfect!
At any point if you have connection to the drone you can flip to sport mode and back to gain control of the mavic and end the mission.
for example this video is about 13km distance in total and lost connection to the drone allmost immediately due to the trees:
And then this video demonstrates how smooth the video action is:
Enjoy!

Looks like this app does not use Google Maps and users are indicating that the maps are up to 3 years old. It is also mentioned that one cannot save previous waypoint missions and have to copy over a previous route to fly the same one again.

Seems like its useful to an extent and needs some updates.

sounds like you might want to use both apps. litchi for waypoint missions and fpv and go 4 for activetrack, etc. win, win except litchi costs $25.00.

Litchi is THE app to get once you master the basics of your drone..
The options and possibilities are limitless. For example you can pre-plan your mission from your computer at home for say 20 mins of fly time and 100s of waypoints way further than the connection between your remote and the drone .. so essentially you can loose conection to the drone and still go on its mission and then its can do all sort of things during the mission and it is 100% guaranteed that it will return home whatever happens.. like running out of battery or end of mission etc ..
Only thing to worry about is height of drone during mission (like a tall building or a tree in its flight path) or the return to home path which is a straight line might hit something tall if battery runs out during the mission. Otherwise you program the mission to have the last waypoints towards the home point.
The smoothness of the videos you can take using litchi can not be equaled by manual flying... it is cinema smooth perfect!
At any point if you have connection to the drone you can flip to sport mode and back to gain control of the mavic and end the mission.
for example this video is about 13km distance in total and lost connection to the drone allmost immediately due to the trees:
And then this video demonstrates how smooth the video action is:
Enjoy!

just askin' cause I haven't ever used litchi in flight yet. if you say turned your radio off would litchi still complete the mission and then do whatever option you chose when it was thru? thks. for the info. it's good to know.

just askin' cause I haven't ever used litchi in flight yet. if you say turned your radio off would litchi still complete the mission and then do whatever option you chose when it was thru? thks. for the info. it's good to know.

As Logger noted above in the thread :

"You get a choice of "Finish Action" when you program the mission."
1) None = Hover
2) RTH (and land there)
3) Land (at final WPT)
4) Back to 1
5) Reverse.

Personally not a 100% guaranteed advocate. But highly likely yes.

Here is an example of an Android Litchi hiccup I had today. Phone is a S7 edge (which is not on the DJI approved list).
Mavic is at back side of mission and loses conx to controller. RC & Litchi advise me of this which is normal. But then Litchi app spontaneously quits, disappearing from screen leaving me with phones home screen. Press the recent apps button and see Litchi sitting there minimised. Tap it to open and it restarts on the FPV screen. RC regains conx and Litchi screen telemetry and video comes back with a recording started message. Truth be known recording never actually stops, as Mavic is still dutifully flying the route. The route map is no longer up on the screen though, as Android Litchi restarted itself & the flight route is in the aircraft memory. Would be nice to have the route back on screen but I am not game to flip back to WPT mode and reload the mission map while a mission is in progress.

No big deal as the mission runs its course & at the end Mavic lands as programmed. Just a nuisance and it will be good when they fix it. Litchi quitting mid mission leads to Healthy Drones receiving segmented flight records too as they are created in the app on the RC and not by the aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54