DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Live PD anyone see it last night? Guy looking for his drone was shot in Fla !

Status
Not open for further replies.

AClineman

Reactions
Two guys were in an alley peeking over fences looking for there downed drone and some whack job fired a “warning shot” (according to the shooter, who was arrested BTW) the round went thru the fence, struck concrete, the bullet fragmented and struck one of the guys and their vehicle.
A little sketchy peeking over fences instead of knocking on the door and asking, but never the less it didn’t warrant being fired upon.

Reactions: Odom1957
There are parts of Florida that knocking on doors alone could get you shot. Even more likely after dark.
Peeking over fence's isnt any smarter than flying a drone over them. Especially if it was dark, might as well put a bulls eye on your forehead.

I hear ya. No one said on the show that they intentionally flew over the property. Since it went down and they were searching for it, it could have been one those fly away’s you read so much about here, who knows.

FYI it was daylight.

They should have gone to the front door, knocked, and explained what they were looking for. Anytime someone's just peering over your fence is enough to make almost anyone at least curious, if not a little apprehensive.

Two guys were in an alley peeking over fences looking for there downed drone and some whack job fired a “warning shot” (according to the shooter, who was arrested BTW) the round went thru the fence, struck concrete, the bullet fragmented and struck one of the guys and their vehicle.
A little sketchy peeking over fences instead of knocking on the door and asking, but never the less it didn’t warrant being fired upon.

It didn’t? Look in my back window and I wont be happy. Fortunately I don’t have a gun but you don’t know that persons history. Wait till daylight. Tell someone what yer doing. Florida has some very liberal shoot and ask later laws....Be careful. You can replace the stupid drone.

I hear ya. No one said on the show that they intentionally flew over the property. Since it went down and they were searching for it, it could have been one those fly away’s you read so much about here, who knows.

FYI it was daylight.

I’m sorry I also said wait till daylight. I didn’t read close enuff. Take care my friend. Hope everyone is ok.. several years back I had some friends who were Victims of home invasion in Polk Co. A rural area. We are all on the front line these days.

I don't think people these days talk to one another face to face, especially the younger generation. They probably figured that could search for it first, and if it was really in their yard, they would then knock on the door. Flying your drone over someone's property, low enough to spot a drone, would look like an invasion of privacy. Some people can get overtly defensive about it. Shooting is definitely not the way to go to solve the problem. What happened to old fashion shouting and waving at the drone? Some people are so trigger happy. shoot first, ask questions later.

Where in Florida?

liberal shoot and ask later laws? Liberals don't like guns at all.... They don't like drones either. In fact, you'd better put your helmet on if you're going outside...

Florida has some very liberal shoot and ask later laws.....
This is a MYTH!
Nowhere is there a a “shoot and ask question later” law in this country. In every jurisdiction the standard for justifiable use of deadly force is high and no case does that include the protection of property. If you use deadly force when you are not being threatened with “severe bodily harm“, you will be charged with murder.
Please do some research before spreading such untruths.

This is a MYTH!
Nowhere is there a a “shoot and ask question later” law in this country. In every jurisdiction the standard for justifiable use of deadly force is high and no case does that include the protection of property. If you use deadly force when you are not being threatened with “severe bodily harm“, you will be charged with murder.
Please do some research before spreading such untruths.
I agree. People will sometimes confuse "No Back Down" laws with shoot first ask questions later mentality. No back down just means you are not obligated to "run away" from someone who is threatening, or you perceive is threatening, you with imminent bodily harm.

Reactions: W2EJ and DroningOn
liberal shoot and ask later laws? Liberals don't like guns at all.... They don't like drones either. In fact, you'd better put your helmet on if you're going outside...
Of course someone has to be ignorant and bring politics into this. And what you just said is completely false.

One thing to note that I rarely see come up in this forum is the search for lost drones. We see the flyaway posts regularly and the “Help me find my drone posts”. More experienced folks help them calculate where their bird is likely to be...but we all forget that aside from a park these are likely to land in someone’s yard or property. We can talk all day long about nobody owning the airspace overhead...but once it’s on the ground, it’s a different story...and searching someone’s property would be trespassing.

Additionally, a property owner doesn’t have to give you permission to enter their private property to search...

One area I’m not clear on is I’m sure the property owner does not become the owner of a lost drone...but how do you get someone to turn it over aside from taking them to court?

I agree. People will sometimes confuse "No Back Down" laws with shoot first ask questions later mentality. No back down just means you are not obligated to "run away" from someone who is threatening, or you perceive is threatening, you with imminent bodily harm.
So true.....
Just to be clear, the legal term is no “duty to retreat”.

Eta: I hope the person who fired this shot was charged with assault with a deadly weapon at least!

Last edited:
Of course someone has to be ignorant and bring politics into this. And what you just said is completely false.
Really? What's false about it? NOTHING is false about my statement. Liberalism isn't politics. It's a sad state of mind. Ignorant? Would you like to compare accomplishments or successes sometime? Lefties always come back with an insult when they are called out. You are no different. Now shoo gnat.

Really? What's false about it? NOTHING is false about my statement. Liberalism isn't politics. It's a sad state of mind. Ignorant? Would you like to compare accomplishments or successes sometime? Lefties always come back with an insult when they are called out. You are no different. Now shoo gnat.

I can point out one thing false about it. That isn’t the correct use of “liberal” in context of his post. Liberal as in a generous dose. A liberal amount of something. Not everything is political.

Reactions: W2EJ and DroningOn
Perhaps not a wise move to go peeking over someone’s fence. Equally unwise of homeowner to start shooting when no viable threat was presented. But, in my opinion, the homeowner may possibly be on the wrong end of the law versus the droner for looking over the fence. I did not see the video, so therefore I do not know if the droner trespassed or not, and were there any weapons displayed? Homeowner might be wise to retain legal as it’s possible droner may have a new collection in the future. I do not pretend to be knowledgeable of FL laws, but most likely since no real threat was made to homeowner by droner, the HO is in hot water now!
Lessons should be learned on both sides (of the fence)!

The gun issue is for the state to decide. I am pro gun, but I also do not know the full facts behind the reasoning for discharge of the weapon, so am not able to judge. Knocking on the front door and introducing with an explanation as to the perported problem may have yielded a much more amiable response. Perhaps even an offer to compensate ($5 or $10) the HO for the inconvenience, assuming the drone was in his back yard. Chances are the HO would have been much more receptive to a 1 or 2 minute intrusion. Possibly! Finally, flying over a home (all the while maintaining VLOS) should not be construed as invasion of privacy (unless you make an effort to make it that!). All homeowners still posses the ability to make their property a NFZ with the FAA. It then becomes the droner’s responsibility to avoid.

PERSONAL NOTE: I posses a National Concealed Carry (valid in all 50 and DC). When I travel I try make myself aware of the general right to carry rules for each state I may transverse. It just makes things easier for me.

Fly safe and keep a supply of fresh batteries

R
Jeffrey

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicJohn85
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads