DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long time lurker,pilot and have a question on photos.

Sof1062

Reactions
Hi guys, I am a long time lurker, about 6 months. I have had my MP for about a year. I am also a commercial pilot. I will never mention that again after this post because I see it used too often to certify drone police and to bully guys. That being said, I have never been worried I was going to strike a drone, nor are my coworkers or friends. The problem seems to be made a lot bigger than it really is, here and in the media and here I see it done by pilots often. For this reason I have never posted. I felt like people in my profession were always putting down sUAS pilots. The fact is just because I can pilot a plane, does not mean I am a good drone pilot.

Now onto my question. I have searched here and in the tubes but still can't figure out how to take a photo at night with the lights streaming. Does anyone have a great link on explaining this and how to do it like a 5 year old?

Thanks,
KC

Reactions: Simmo
Hi guys, I am a long time lurker, about 6 months. I have had my MP for about a year. I am also a commercial pilot. I will never mention that again after this post because I see it used too often to certify drone police and to bully guys. That being said, I have never been worried I was going to strike a drone, nor are my coworkers or friends. The problem seems to be made a lot bigger than it really is, here and in the media and here I see it done by pilots often. For this reason I have never posted. I felt like people in my profession were always putting down sUAS pilots. The fact is just because I can pilot a plane, does not mean I am a good drone pilot.

Now onto my question. I have searched here and in the tubes but still can't figure out how to take a photo at night with the lights streaming. Does anyone have a great link on explaining this and how to do it like a 5 year old?

Thanks,
KC

The problem is made bigger so it doesn't end in a fatality/multiple fatalities because some fool thought it was sweet to fly at 3000 feet AGL for no good reason. You don't have to be a pilot to tell people how stupid they are by disregarding the rules for their petulant, selfish reasons.

That aside, try this:

Reactions: genesimmons

Thanks,
KC

To achieve ‘light trails’ it’s just a case of setting your shutter speed very slow (1-10 seconds), opening the shutter that long will blur the movement of light (cars) and create the effect you’re looking for. Set the mp in manual & keep ISO at 100. The below was ISO 100 and a 3 1/2 second shutter

32823902-4642-49CA-94EF-9E9AD1A04DFC.jpeg

All of the above, plus you'll want to be flying when there is as little wind as possible. The Mavic is pretty good at staying where you put it, but having the air dead calm is a plus.

Reactions: Joely-Bird