DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for examples of the Mavic 2 Zoom - Super Resolution feature

The high res image is created by doubling the camera's focal length and taking nine exposures covering the exact area that was displayed on your phone or tablet when you squeezed the shutter button.

The process takes about 10 seconds. The exposures are then stitched together producing an 8000x6000 image.

How would you do that using 'any' camera? Why isn't the feature included in the M2 Pro?

Last edited:
The high res image is created by doubling the camera's focal length and taking nine exposures covering the exact area that was displayed on your phone or tablet when you squeezed the shutter button.

The process takes about 10 seconds. The exposures are then stitched together producing an 8000x6000 image.

How would you do that using 'any' camera? Why isn't the feature included in the M2 Pro?

With the Pro (or any camera) you would simply fly or move closer to the scene and take those same 9 exposures, or however many you wanted, for example. The Zoom doesn't have to move to do it, which could potentially be handy, but both drones are capable of the exact same basic result. The second paragraph of my previous reply explains it in regular camera terms.

Again if it were a normal camera and if you didn't want to move closer, you would just attach a longer focal length lens and shoot a panorama to cover the equivalent of the wider angle FOV - it's very commonly done actually. OR, you could choose not change lenses and simply move closer to the subject/scene to take the same set of photos, which is generally much easier to do in the air than it is on the ground. Both methods yield the exact same end result.

The feature isn't included in the Pro in the exact same way, but both drones are capable of exactly the same result, albeit with the Pro having quality thanks to the higher resolution 1" sensor. Creating "super resolution" images by DJI's own definition of "super resolution" is literally just using a panorama to end up with higher resolution, which is a totally legitimate but very simple form of increasing resolution on any given scene. The difference is the Zoom does so at a wider equivalent FOV without having to move the drone. To do the same with the Pro you would simply have to fly a little bit closer to the scene before starting the exact same process, and you could do it in fewer images thanks to the higher resolution sensor, or the same amount of images and get an even higher resolution result. The Pro has a normal "Panorama" mode that gives you a photo with greater than 20MP of resolution, which is just another way of giving you "super resolution" over a different FOV (180 degrees).

Reactions: saltwaterclown
It's literally just a panorama, if you're looking for a description of how it works. It has a fancy name but you can do the exact same thing with any camera or drone if you wish.

I'm imterested in how one would shoot a 360 pan (aka Tiny Planet) manually? How many images and how to stitch them?

I'm imterested in how one would shoot a 360 pan (aka Tiny Planet) manually? How many images and how to stitch them?

For an actual 360 degree pano, they are easy to make in something like Ptgui or Photoshop, they are popular in Real Estate photography for virtual tour type shoots. You just need enough overlapping photos to cover 360 degrees.

For a tiny planet effect, they are actually really easy to make out of a single photo in Photoshop, you don't even need to take multiple photos to cover 360 degrees if you just want the tiny planet look. If you want to make a tiny planet out of a full 360 degree panorama, it's also really easy. How many images you need depends on the lens used and the orientation of the camera. Very simply speaking, first you stitch them into a standard rectangular panorama, then you constrain it's proportions to squish it into a square, then you flip it 180 degrees, then you apply a Polar Coordinates Filter (rectangular to polar). You might need to clean up some edges after but that's pretty well it. There are lots of 2-minute tutorials on YouTube and other websites that walk through it :)

Reactions: ff22
As a pro photographer for decades, and a drone photo-guy for 4 years, here's my impression of the M2Z Super-Rez feature.

1) With this feature, I can compose the shot, then quickly get 9 subset shots immediately and at decent/workable resolution. I wish they could be RAW, but the jpegs aren't too bad.

2) With any of my DJI fleet, I have found that I simply cannot easily relocate the camera (Inspire) or the bird manually fast enough to compose the same 9 shots, especially given that this is most often used with things that are moving within the scene. Just very difficult to do manually, and normal pano software is often a bit of overkill for something this small (normal FOV).

That said, we do use pano mode for extra wide shots and VR, but that is a different application/use than the M2Z Super Rez feature.

3) If I shoot a panorama with my normal Nikon gear, I can select a mostly static scene and shoot 9 overlapping shots, especially using certain panorama aids. But that can't be easily and quickly done with a drone.

With our Osmo, we routinely shoot interior 360 panos, but again, that is a totally different application/use.

4) Since recently adding the M2Z to our fleet, we have demoed the High Rez feature on some cityscapes and find that by using PTGui we can create 10,926x6012 jpegs or TIFFs that are very appropriate for print publication, posters, large format, etc. While the M2Z is most certainly limited by the quality of it's glass, sensor, processors, etc., the bottom line is that this new feature provides a method to easily capture a large scene (normal FOV) with quality good enough for many professional purposes.

Bottom line is that it is easy to do and get excellent results appropriate for many, many purposes. I am personally impressed with the results. The DJI-stitched version is not all that bad and usable for many purposes, but using the 9 pics and an app like PTGui, the results are quite good!

here it is my M2Zoom photo using the superresolution 48MP feature. I think they get as good as my M2Pro.
Fully automatic. I get a big 48MP photo.

View attachment 64824
Hi Pfjaio
I'm considering to get the M2zoom or the M2pro
Is important to me the SuperResolution feature (not necessary 360 degrees), but can't you do that with the PRO ? Whether manually or automatic, or with Litchy app or else ?
Thanks in advance

Hi Pfjaio
I'm considering to get the M2zoom or the M2pro
Is important to me the SuperResolution feature (not necessary 360 degrees), but can't you do that with the PRO ? Whether manually or automatic, or with Litchy app or else ?
Thanks in advance

I am not sure if there's a technical reason but I believe only the Zoom includes the super-resolution option for AUTOMATIC results. My guess would be that you can do it manually with the Pro version by taking a whole series of overlapping images in a square arrangement and stitch them together.

I'm on day three flying the new zoom but still cannot find Panorama or Super resolution. Where is it located please?

There is no doubt this can be tricky to find but the results are well worth it.

This picture is cropped in half to display on a widescreen monitors , Just expand your Browser window for the full effect.
We also posted some full Size Super Rez Pictures on the Phantomrain.org website. We are addicted to this and cannot wait for the next Storm. lol

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear for flying in and out of the Storm.

Reactions: kayode
I am not sure if there's a technical reason but I believe only the Zoom includes the super-resolution option for AUTOMATIC results. My guess would be that you can do it manually with the Pro version by taking a whole series of overlapping images in a square arrangement and stitch them together.
Thank you

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000