DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for flying space

Hey there, did you do any good with Belair parks people ?

If you are in that area, I'd consider places like ovals with caution when sports aren't happening, and dog walkers, etc aren't about . . .
Like Hawthorndene oval . . . other similar sports grounds like Bridgewater oval, and check out local school ovals to see if ok to fly weekends.

I really only fly one local park at Morphett Vale to test things, most flying done on the coast or more remote inland, sights when travelling etc.

Reactions: marlene galler
Yes National Parks are out of bounds except with permits, and its not the easiest process to get them. I did notice that the gold course next door to Belair park has been closed for a while, so I might give it a go there when it is quiet through the week. The Ovals always seem to be busy but I know there is a fair amount of scrub further south. Just looking for anywhere safe to fly down that way.

Yes National Parks are out of bounds except with permits

Yes, near impossible here for hobbyist pilots, even commercial require permits with fees.

Many councils have no drone rules so taking off and landing is technically out, fly over ok, but that kind of makes it hard and pointless anyway.
If you do it quietly and while not disturbing other park users (ie ensure no one else around) then you won't get disturbed in general, I am yet to see any 'no drone' signs in any parks in such council areas.

I like the coast down Hallett Cove way, the track along the cliff tops is awesome to fly from for sunset, and it winds in and out of the Hallett Cove Conservation Park, so as long as you fly from outside that you're good there.
There are also boardwalks down to the rocks to fly from low down at sea level.

Marino Rocks boat ramp (no longer used) is also a nice spot.

Want to go a bit further ?
The coast south along the Fleurieu is packed with beaches to fly, Rapid Bay / Second Valley are 2 great spots.
Big wind farm down closer to Cape Jervis, south coast towards Victor Harbour, some great spots, flew out to the West Is 600m one way a while ago, a marine reserve so just fly off the landfall a little.
Further around to coast to Goolwa, loads of great coast along the way.
Always hard to find quiet places at some of those weekends, weekdays or really early is easier.

Reactions: marlene galler
Thanks for info. Took my magic Zoom for a test flight to a friends property down Lower Innman Valley this week. Looks like their whole property is Paramagnetic rock. It came up Magnetic interference on hand set. Wasn't sure what to do so I took it up and down just for a test. Still had fun though.

Thanks for info. Took my magic Zoom for a test flight to a friends property down Lower Innman Valley this week. Looks like their whole property is Paramagnetic rock. It came up Magnetic interference on hand set. Wasn't sure what to do so I took it up and down just for a test. Still had fun though.

Good on you . . . Inman Valley area is very nice, driven through many a time, and walked through following the Heysen Trail a few times as well.
There are loads of interesting rock formations through there, I think I recall many old glacial type of formations from 100s or millions of year ago.

Be super cautious flying with magnetic interference.
If the IMU and compass disagree, the drone could end up flying off with no control, happens quite often.

Here's a recent thread where it happened . . . explains it quite well . . .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scout Aerial