DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for help with issue.

Bunraku

Reactions
Hi guys

I'm having an issue where video when panning is blurry. I think it's a setting rather than a fault. I'm not a camera expert and mostly learning things online.

I am filming in 5.4k 30FPS with a shutter speed of 60. This shutter speed is because I thought I had to use the rule of thumb of double shutter speed of frame right. At that shutter speed the video is blown out so am using an ND16 filter. When panning it is very blurry which I don't like, but am sure it's caused by my shutter speed or something else. What's the best solution? Thanks

Reactions: Gagey52
Hi guys

I'm having an issue where video when panning is blurry. I think it's a setting rather than a fault. I'm not a camera expert and mostly learning things online.

I am filming in 5.4k 30FPS with a shutter speed of 60. This shutter speed is because I thought I had to use the rule of thumb of double shutter speed of frame right.
Movement + slow shutter speed = blurred images.
You could pan slower, or ignore that "rule" and allow a faster shutter speed.
Instead of accepting that "rule" do a little testing for yourself and see if you like or don't kike the results you get.

Have to agree with Meta4, I’m not much of a videographer myself, but often blur when panning cause I turn too fast.
Regards

Besides yawing too fast, moving the gimbal fast etc, flying closer to something also makes this worse than if further away / above.
Your video was distant, so probably more to do with yaw speed.

The other thing I noticed, your video when viewed in the window on the forum (even maximised) looks really fuzzy all the time, like out of focus, yet clicking on the YouTube view and enlarging, it looked quite ok in general.
There was better vision at the start of the yaw when going slower, than after you sped up the turn a bit.

Reactions: Gagey52
That is just plain blurry. It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen with my drones. Like M.S.O says above, it looks better when paused on You Tube

Depends on what you want. Higher shutter speeds will give sharper images. The cost for this is some strobing with fast pans or tilts. The slower shutter speeds to cause fast movement to blur, and reduces the strobing.

Fast pans and tilts are normally undesirable for other reasons, as they mostly feel too abrupt.

My simple guideline is setting the ISO to 100 and letting the drone choose the shutter speed. Without a polarizing filter or ND, the drone will normally something between 1/600 to 1/1600, depending on the lighting. If you examine the individual frames you will see that they are almost always perfectly sharp.

Depends on what you want. Higher shutter speeds will give sharper images. The cost for this is some strobing with fast pans or tilts. The slower shutter speeds to cause fast movement to blur, and reduces the strobing.

Fast pans and tilts are normally undesirable for other reasons, as they mostly feel too abrupt.

My simple guideline is setting the ISO to 100 and letting the drone choose the shutter speed. Without a polarizing filter or ND, the drone will normally something between 1/600 to 1/1600, depending on the lighting. If you examine the individual frames you will see that they are almost always perfectly sharp.
IMO your pans are way to fast.
Your slow shots so seem blurred and/or out of focus, so that means the blur is not "motion blur" but something else.. You recorded at 5.4K but your YouTube is 4K so there would be some loss due to the downgraded. What did you upload to YouTube, 5.4K or 4K? In any case your YouTube video may not accurately represent your recorded video.
I generally record 4K, edit and export to 4K, and upload 4K to YouTube uncompressed..

Exactly the reason that I record in 4K 60FPS, that way you don't get that stuttering with any shutter speed!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent