DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for part 107 work in Michigan. Any pointers?

Duck_Puppet

Reactions
Site
www.barosight.com
I'm currently burning out from my current job in retail and have been working on trying to get away from it with work as a pilot/photographer. I was initially looking for work involving inspections and information gathering but I'm beginning to consider other types of work. I guess I'm just looking for tips on how to get started. Been making calls to quite a few companies offering my services for little to no cost as I am still trying to build my portfolio but I'm not receiving any calls/emails back. Any help at all would be appreciated. Fly safe.

while others won't agree with this.... my motto is to NEVER give away your work. Offer bulk discount and other incentives but never do anything for free. If you don't put a value on your work and efforts then your clients won't either. Creative Arts (photography especially) is one of the few areas that offer "work to learn for FREE" scenarios.

If you can't get paying clients shoot your own home, your family, co-workers, friends etc. Get good before you put yourself out there as an Industry Professional.

Flying the Drone is but one aspect of being a good (paid) UAS photographer. Photography is more than just tossing the UAS into the air and hoping to get a good shot or two. You need to learn Composition, Editing, Image Delivery and so much more to have a quality finished product.

Operating a busines is a LOT of work behind the scenes. We spend a LOT of time editing our work after-the-fact and the better you are at editing the less time you spend fumbling around.

I could type days and days on this but you would be better off to head over to our sister forum and do some research over there. There is a TON if information already there just waiting on your searches to deliver it to you. www.CommercialPilots.com

while others won't agree with this.... my motto is to NEVER give away your work. Offer bulk discount and other incentives but never do anything for free. If you don't put a value on your work and efforts then your clients won't either. Creative Arts (photography especially) is one of the few areas that offer "work to learn for FREE" scenarios.

If you can't get paying clients shoot your own home, your family, co-workers, friends etc. Get good before you put yourself out there as an Industry Professional.

Flying the Drone is but one aspect of being a good (paid) UAS photographer. Photography is more than just tossing the UAS into the air and hoping to get a good shot or two. You need to learn Composition, Editing, Image Delivery and so much more to have a quality finished product.

Operating a busines is a LOT of work behind the scenes. We spend a LOT of time editing our work after-the-fact and the better you are at editing the less time you spend fumbling around.

I could type days and days on this but you would be better off to head over to our sister forum and do some research over there. There is a TON if information already there just waiting on your searches to deliver it to you. www.CommercialPilots.com
Thank you for the plethora of information here! I'm a bit limited to what I can shoot living out of an apartment but I'll ask my coworkers and the like. I'm already quite familiar with photography and editing its just the marketing aspect I'm probably going to struggle with, along with the whole running a business bit. But I will definitely check out commercialpilots.com thanks again :)

Reactions: BigAl07
while others won't agree with this.... my motto is to NEVER give away your work.
I 100% agree with this. Giving away your work for free devalues the work for everyone else too. Why would someone pay when they can get the work done for free? A plumber wouldn't do it for free. An electrician wouldn't do the work for free. Why should anyone else?

Always charge, never drastically undercut the competition (see point above), but know your worth, your skill level, and where you fit in whatever industry.

I work in a creative industry and we have people that give away their skills for free. Fortunately, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, and those who give away their skills for free are usually just dreadful at what they do. Where i'm at, I can charge above the basic industry rate per day, because I have decades of experience and training and a body of recognisable and verifiable work under my belt.

One idea: Watch for fresh construction site fences, pretend you already have the contract to shoot the progress.
While you're shooting, wear a reflective construction site vest and hard hat so you look like you belong and you will more likely be allowed or invited to actually enter the property - otherwise, shoot it from the outside.
Watch that property west of the river just south of E Mosel along N Pitcher and more stuff going on between Ravine and the 131- looks promising.
Start with a high 'map' image, shoot some high then low orbits of the entire site. Go out every few days or as it progresses. When they begin pouring slabs, get more shots and cut together a video with the Contractor's logo and name to pitch to the Contactor(s).
Notice that there are usually several different types of contractors on large projects - all of which may want your video(s) and photos. Even if you don't get hired by any of them, it's good practice and something to use to pitch to other contractors.
Pass some cards around and put the finished project video on your youtube page. Place your logo in the corner of the video so they will not steal it and use it for free - or even if they do, they're advertising for you. If you see that they are using the video, inform them that its not free, so let's decide on a price.
You're going to go out and practice anyway, so practice producing something of value.
When people see you skills at documenting progress, you will more likely get paying gigs from it.

One idea: Watch for fresh construction site fences, pretend you already have the contract to shoot the progress.
While you're shooting, wear a reflective construction site vest and hard hat so you look like you belong and you will more likely be allowed or invited to actually enter the property - otherwise, shoot it from the outside.
Watch that property west of the river just south of E Mosel along N Pitcher and more stuff going on between Ravine and the 131- looks promising.
Start with a high 'map' image, shoot some high then low orbits of the entire site. Go out every few days or as it progresses. When they begin pouring slabs, get more shots and cut together a video with the Contractor's logo and name to pitch to the Contactor(s).
Notice that there are usually several different types of contractors on large projects - all of which may want your video(s) and photos. Even if you don't get hired by any of them, it's good practice and something to use to pitch to other contractors.
Pass some cards around and put the finished project video on your youtube page. Place your logo in the corner of the video so they will not steal it and use it for free - or even if they do, they're advertising for you. If you see that they are using the video, inform them that its not free, so let's decide on a price.
You're going to go out and practice anyway, so practice producing something of value.
When people see you skills at documenting progress, you will more likely get paying gigs from it.
This seems like a great idea only I feel it would be wrong to do this without asking for permission. Especially if I'm going to be flying over people, definitely feel like I need to brief them in order for it all to be legal.

Y
This seems like a great idea only I feel it would be wrong to do this without asking for permission. Especially if I'm going to be flying over people, definitely feel like I need to brief them in order for it all to be legal.
If you are so inclined, go in ahead of time and ask for permission. The Contractor(s) should have signs on the gate/fence so you know who to reach out to.
You could just walk into the construction onsite office, hand them a card and inform them that you are an FAA Licensed Commercial sUAS Pilot and will be flying to record the project. If you have a safety vest, wear it in there.
vest.jpg
Ask if there any areas of interest and restrictions. If they ask who hired you, say 'no one - yet. Are you offering?' If they say 'no flying, no photos or video' then thank them and leave.
Be sure and proud. Expect acceptance but prepare for rejection.
However, you can get most or all of the necessary images without asking by flying over the perimeter (along the fence-line) or, as necessary, go out on Sunday (if the site totally or partially shuts down) to avoid flying over people.
Nobody owns the sky/space above their property, so as a rule, no permission is required - except directly over people.
I find that Contractors are usually proud that someone is getting aerials of the project and often curious as to which contractor or agency hired you.
Take solace in the fact that they can kill you but they can't eat you.

Reactions: Duck_Puppet
Y

If you are so inclined, go in ahead of time and ask for permission. The Contractor(s) should have signs on the gate/fence so you know who to reach out to.
You could just walk into the construction onsite office, hand them a card and inform them that you are an FAA Licensed Commercial sUAS Pilot and will be flying to record the project. If you have a safety vest, wear it in there.
View attachment 145572
Ask if there any areas of interest and restrictions. If they ask who hired you, say 'no one - yet. Are you offering?' If they say 'no flying, no photos or video' then thank them and leave.
Be sure and proud. Expect acceptance but prepare for rejection.
However, you can get most or all of the necessary images without asking by flying over the perimeter (along the fence-line) or, as necessary, go out on Sunday (if the site totally or partially shuts down) to avoid flying over people.
Nobody owns the sky/space above their property, so as a rule, no permission is required - except directly over people.
I find that Contractors are usually proud that someone is getting aerials of the project and often curious as to which contractor or agency hired you.
Take solace in the fact that they can kill you but they can't eat you.
Beautifully put ahaha, ill check out a few sites near me and give this a shot, already got a vest and cards just need that mojo I guess lmao, thanks for the info!

Take it from someone who has spent numerous years on construction sites. Almost all workers are sub contractors just doing their thing. If you look like you belong there nobody will question you. It seems the hardest person to find on a construction site is the job superintendent. You can always say your working for the local government as a volunteer to promote progress. After all, the local government is the people of the community, including yourself.

Take it from someone who has spent numerous years on construction sites. Almost all workers are sub contractors just doing their thing. If you look like you belong there nobody will question you. It seems the hardest person to find on a construction site is the job superintendent. You can always say your working for the local government as a volunteer to promote progress. After all, the local government is the people of the community, including yourself.
I guess my "act like you belong" game needs work lol

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
I recommend getting permission. Tell them you won't publicly share anything without them approving it first. Contractors are sensitive to documentation of safety violations.
Very good to know, I'd probably ask for permission alongside requesting people on site at least be made aware of it going on before beginning.

Very good to know, I'd probably ask for permission alongside requesting people on site at least be made aware of it going on before beginning.

If you can fly it during "off times" you'll have few to no people to worry about flying over. We try to shoot our active construction sites on Sunday afternoon for those reasons.

Wouldn't I still need permission?

You cant' get "permission" to fly over people. If you're flying a Cat-1 aircraft you can fly over people w/o waiver but not over Open Ai Assemblies which a Construction Site is . . . .

So you can only fly the construction site when no "Non-Participants" are on site.

Here is an exert from the full Ops Over People (OOP) thread:

Ops over People, Category 1:

The PIC must use an aircraft that:

•Weighs less than 250g (.55 lbs.), and
•Contains no “exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being”.
•There are no manufacturer requirements for Declaration of Compliance. It will be incumbent upon the PIC to make sure the UAS qualifies.
•No sustained flights over open air assemblies w/o RID (concerts, construction sites, etc.).

Here's a link to the FULL thread:

You cant' get "permission" to fly over people. If you're flying a Cat-1 aircraft you can fly over people w/o waiver but not over Open Ai Assemblies which a Construction Site is . . . .

So you can only fly the construction site when no "Non-Participants" are on site.

Here is an exert from the full Ops Over People (OOP) thread:

Ops over People, Category 1:

The PIC must use an aircraft that:

•Weighs less than 250g (.55 lbs.), and
•Contains no “exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being”.
•There are no manufacturer requirements for Declaration of Compliance. It will be incumbent upon the PIC to make sure the UAS qualifies.
•No sustained flights over open air assemblies w/o RID (concerts, construction sites, etc.).

Here's a link to the FULL thread:
I was referring to permission needed to be on site in general, I don't have any aircraft that qualify for any OOP.

I was referring to permission needed to be on site in general, I don't have any aircraft that qualify for any OOP.

I'm funny about "on site".... I don't go on ANY job site when no one is there even if I have permission. I fly from outside of the jobsite. I'm not about to open that can of worms if something goes missing, damaged etc.

As a General Contractor for many many years... I have some input about photographing my construction site.

My construction site is private property. Even if it is a government project, while under construction it is private property. As such, all rules of photographing someone on private property for commercial use apply. I don't know about other states, but in Oregon a person on private property has the right to expect privacy. The law allows you to photograph anything you want from public property as long as it is "without the use of extraordinary measures". Specifically, you cannot legally photograph me from public property with a telephoto lens. You cannot photograph someone through a window or open door from public property. There are also some rules about photographing children, addresses, and license plates on private property but I don't think those pertain to this discussion.

I've been through this multiple times with news crews that want to shoot video of the site and then show on the news. In Oregon, OSHA can fine you based upon video or pictures in the "public domain". They can do that at anytime as there is no statute of limitations.

The news crew does not need permission from everyone on site... but they do need it from me as I control the site. I have had a couple cases of photographers asking a couple of workers if they can photograph them and got their approval. Though it seems like this would be enough, it isn't. They must get my permission to use the photos because, as I said earlier... it's my site. The can't even get the owners permission and go around me. As far as I know there is nothing to stop them taking photos/video of the site from public property - but they can't legally use their zoom lenses. News people I've dealt with say it isn't worth trying to claim it wasn't an enhanced image so they don't use it. I've been told, and I've never challenged it that if there are no workers in the shot, they can use them.

If you enter my site and "pretend to belong", you are trespassing. Pure and simple.

The law states that you cannot use someones image to sell something without that persons permission. Doesn't matter if it is a cell phone, Canon EOS, or Mavic. If you take the photos for your portfolio, you are trying to sell yourself. If you don't publish them, no harm no foul. I haven't been through with drone photography but I have with photographers on the ground and from helicopters. They can't use them without my permission.

Bottom line is that if you come to one of my jobsites and take pictures/video and post somewhere like youtube...we are going to get to know each other better than either of us want to.

As a General Contractor for many many years... I have some input about photographing my construction site.

My construction site is private property. Even if it is a government project, while under construction it is private property. As such, all rules of photographing someone on private property for commercial use apply. I don't know about other states, but in Oregon a person on private property has the right to expect privacy. The law allows you to photograph anything you want from public property as long as it is "without the use of extraordinary measures". Specifically, you cannot legally photograph me from public property with a telephoto lens. You cannot photograph someone through a window or open door from public property. There are also some rules about photographing children, addresses, and license plates on private property but I don't think those pertain to this discussion.

I've been through this multiple times with news crews that want to shoot video of the site and then show on the news. In Oregon, OSHA can fine you based upon video or pictures in the "public domain". They can do that at anytime as there is no statute of limitations.

The news crew does not need permission from everyone on site... but they do need it from me as I control the site. I have had a couple cases of photographers asking a couple of workers if they can photograph them and got their approval. Though it seems like this would be enough, it isn't. They must get my permission to use the photos because, as I said earlier... it's my site. The can't even get the owners permission and go around me. As far as I know there is nothing to stop them taking photos/video of the site from public property - but they can't legally use their zoom lenses. News people I've dealt with say it isn't worth trying to claim it wasn't an enhanced image so they don't use it. I've been told, and I've never challenged it that if there are no workers in the shot, they can use them.

If you enter my site and "pretend to belong", you are trespassing. Pure and simple.

The law states that you cannot use someones image to sell something without that persons permission. Doesn't matter if it is a cell phone, Canon EOS, or Mavic. If you take the photos for your portfolio, you are trying to sell yourself. If you don't publish them, no harm no foul. I haven't been through with drone photography but I have with photographers on the ground and from helicopters. They can't use them without my permission.

Bottom line is that if you come to one of my jobsites and take pictures/video and post somewhere like youtube...we are going to get to know each other better than either of us want to.
This was exactly what I was looking for thank you, I have a site where theyre laying the beginnings of a storage unit area and I've been looking into getting in touch with who would be overseeing the whole thing to avoid any problems at all. This was all I needed to be 100 percent sure that it is possible to do this only with expressed permission from the site supervisor. Thanks again :)

Reactions: The Droning Company
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147