DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for some suggestions on how to improve this type of video

RGallant

Reactions
This was 1st attempt at a drone video, to capture my local land rover group in the process of settling into camp.

As per @Agustine :

Mavic air 1, with a CPL filter in flyying in non sport mode

Things I noted -
  • My panning turns are too fast and look choppy as a result
  • I think my forward speed was to high
  • I need the strobe that arrived the day after mounted, the drone vanishes against the trees and mountains fast
  • I did want to start further away and climb into the video start, but a bunch of Canadian geese would have taken exception
The object was to do a passover to capture the group settling in, cooking dinner etc against the backdrop of the scenery. The video lacks a unifying theme some suggestions there would be helpful. I very new to this so any comments would be welcome.

Last edited:
Beautiful place, wish I was there. You might want to mention which DJI drone you are using to help people help you better.
I purchased the Mavic Air 2S a few weeks ago and found default settings really to touchy for my type of flying. There are many youtube videos that will explain how to dial back the sticks to help you out.

Reactions: RGallant
I liked it. Could use a sound track or some sound effects. I agree with your notes - Good to catch things. A little longer would be good too.

I noticed your club has older and newer Rovers. I like the older square body ones. They have that "I can go ANYWHERE I want" look to them.

I liked it. Could use a sound track or some sound effects. I agree with your notes - Good to catch things. A little longer would be good too.

I noticed your club has older and newer Rovers. I like the older square body ones. They have that "I can go ANYWHERE I want" look to them.
LOL
I used to have that "I can go ANYWHERE I want" look but then I woke up and the dream was over.
Getting old sucks ?

@Prop Wash the little green pickup is a 1968 series, the newest one was 2008 LR3.. Lots of Defenders the square body one's. They are a great group.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Still not knowing what you are flying it was suggested I watch this video. It helped me dial in some of the basic settings. Other then that it is just practice, practice and more practice.
Stay safe out in BC. Hope the fires die down some out there. Lots of pretty country to video if it does not go up in smoke.

You can go into settings and adjust the reaction speeds of turns and movement...were you in Cine ( tripod ) mode?...which is a slower speed...the part towards the end where you drew back in reverse came out pretty decent... @Agustine ...thank you for that video Thumbswayup

@MARK (LI) that Cine mode is a good point. I setup for cine mode but I may have reset it while playing around. The funny part is the reverse was slow because I lost the drone against the background and had to go slow until I found it again.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Some good advice already. I'll try to cover something else...

First, having an idea of what you want is an important first step, even before you launch. Trying to figure out where you want your bird to go on the fly is harder and combined with technical elements of correct settings, knowing what you want specifically in advance will be a big help.

Second, if you're not happy with what you just shot, go back and do it again... and again.. and again. Not only will it improve the product recorded in the camera but will give you practice in improving your flying/filming technique.

@vindibona1 thanks for the reply the flight path was what I wanted, I was hoping to go again but there were other drones from another group up. They spooked the geese and I figured better safe than sorry.

But that is pretty solid advice on the multiple passes.

I have found playing music (nothing to fast or crazy) tends to make me fly smoother just take note the song as it is hard to edit to a different song as you can time your turns with the music and pair them

Watch for and then watch over and over - videos that you DO really like and challenge yourself to go out and duplicate the speed, moves and look.
Slow down - not only in each flight but between flights. Land and review the footage with an 'audience-eye'.
Some of it is a lot of practice and some of it may require some level of automation such as waypoints, orbit, POI, cine or tripod mode or others.
Focus less on 'flying the drone' and more on what your audience will experience in the finished video.
Sometimes, it takes several attempts to get a single shot that makes the statement that you're looking for.
If your goal is to be an Aerial Cinematographer then move in that direction with practice, practice and more practice.
Someone once told me that I made it look easy, and my reply was that you have to work really hard to make it look easy.

@Mancerrose interesting thought about music, I might give that a try. I tend to focus pretty well but I can see music giving me sort of a flow.

@LenSavage thanks for the thoughts, I tend to fly by screen and while keeping the drone in sight so I get sort of an in flight preview. My interest is in lower altitude flights with objects/places of interest often times so slower is going to be important.

The between flight review is a very good idea, and easy for me to implement.

Your point on practice is well taken, I have been looking for interesting places to fly close to home to work on the kinds of viewpoints I want to capture.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spshow