DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking to converse with someone that has a Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum with a gimbal that fully calibrates.

Beagle

Reactions
I've had my Pro Platinum now for a few years. It flys just great. Picture are sharp. Video is great looking in all formats. So I'm not too worried at all.

I went about a year without flying. So when I had the chance, I charged up all my batteries and controller and took it for a flight. Just like it was new! But I thought "It's been a while, maybe I should go through all the calibrations.". That all goes well except for the gimbal. It stalls out consitently at 68% and then fails, saying I should make sure it is on flat level surface that doesn't move. Still happy though with the way it flys a captures from the camera!

I'd like to see if someone who has the same drone, could take a video of their drone going through the process, preferably with the progress bar on your device also in frame. I want something to compare to what gimbal is doing.

Problem? Gimbal wont calibrate. Hangs and fails at 68%

Was unit in a crash? No

What have you tried so far? Several calibrations. I downgraded to every available firmware versino inside Assistant.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone 12 Pro Plus

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? The latest right now.

What Go app version are you using?

Any modification?
No

Did you change anything or install any apps? No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? No

Just read your post this morning. I have an MPP. I'll put a video together later this morning, put it on YouTube and send you a link.

Here ya go.

Reactions: Gagey52 and Beagle
PERFECT! Thank you so much. Now I can't wait to get home tonight an make a comparison to what mine is doing.

Message to the mods: I think it would be super cool if there were videos in a library of these kinds of things. A reference bank for people looking for solutions!

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
PERFECT! Thank you so much. Now I can't wait to get home tonight an make a comparison to what mine is doing.

Message to the mods: I think it would be super cool if there were videos in a library of these kinds of things. A reference bank for people looking for solutions!

Kudos to @RadioFlyerMan for his effort, nice job.

For interest, did you have a search of YouTube ?
I find that place is a mecca for many things like this, for example . . .

I didn't look through these, but more than likely there will be something there.
You need to skim through the M2P vids, but I see some there of the process, and even ones that don't go through the process properly.

I've watched tons of videos on Youtube on this subject and the video provided here, by far, looks to be the most helpful. There are lots of people who talk about their gimbal calibration failing. Or talk about shaky video. But nothing that I was able to find that provided such a clear concise short video of the a successful calibration with the device progress bar.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan

Both of my Mavic's do the same dance as RadioFlyerMan good luck

All right. My MPP doesn't do anything like when it hits 68%. My video isn't quite as clear as @RadioFlyerMan's video. But, I do have my daughter practicing her cello in the background. You can jump to 1:30 where it gets to 68% and watch the moves it tries to make... It looks like it is really trying to dance at times.

Mr Beagle out of curiosity have you flown the drone since this video was shot.
Regards

Well, if you have problems with dreadlocks like this, there are several things we can do as 'first aid', 1. By blowing compressed air on the sidelines of the gimbal motor to ensure any dirt that may be stuck there can be cleaned. 2. Perform remote calibration. 3. You can help with a soft touch of your finger on the movement of the gimbal calibration, and don't leave the gimbal stuck for too long because it is feared that it will make the gimbal motor hot and burn the flexible cable which makes it break. If all these methods do not work then submit it to a repair center.

Now I have a strange problem. Maybe I didn't pay attention to it, but the vision sensors are complaining that they need to be recalibrated. But some of the time the quad does act like this. I take off and then the quad starts flying all over the place and doesn't hold itself quite like it should being solid. But this is only part of the time. Other times it does just fine.

But after a few weeks ago of changing out a malfunctioning gimbal (again), another one seems to have bitten the dust. I didn't change the ptz silver cable as it seems to be ok. But now it's doing the same thing the gimbal I replaced was doing. Just points down after the gimbal dance. But this is was only half the time this weekend. One time it would point down and wouldn't calibrate past 5%. Then the next time I turn it on sometimes regardless of recalibration, it would act normally. And I would be able to complete gimbal calibration just fine. But it wouldn't stick from one power on to the next. One time 5%, the other time completion. This is rather odd. It seems to be getting worse though, noticing less times of proper operation and more of stale operation. I'm thinking that maybe, the gimbal/vision sensor board might be an intermittent culprit even though it seems to be fine. And I removed the silver cable and it doesn't change anything. I think there is a gyro in the lens but maybe not or can't tell when nothing is working.

Based on your description, I suspect the gimbal control board itself, or the connections to it. The front vision sensors pass through that board.
Sounds like your new gimbal did not come with a board (some do). If it were me, I’d get a new board and see what happens.

Based on your description, I suspect the gimbal control board itself, or the connections to it. The front vision sensors pass through that board.
Sounds like your new gimbal did not come with a board (some do). If it were me, I’d get a new board and see what happens.
I changed to a new gimbal. Didn't work. Changed the silver ptz cable. Also didn't work. Possibly worn out the connections on the vision sensors to the board with all the swapping out and testing and changing the gimbal as many times as I have already. Looks as if the left pull I keep getting is because the left front motor is not turning as easily as the other three. I tried doing imu and other calibrations on a thread earlier this year, and it hasn't quite worked right since then. If the board changeout doesn't work, I guess I've ruined this bird and the next flight out might just be into a 55 gallon drum.

I changed the gimbal board. Changed gimbal. Changed cables. Changed lens. No love. The gimbal doesn't even dance now. Video feed is all I get.

Somewhere I read that changing the gimbal control board needs DJI reprogramming.

I'm getting video feed and the camera does a focus movement, but no gimbal dance. Not sure if this reprogramming is entirely needed or necessary. So is it reprogramming the gimbal dance or does it just not work at all?

Changing the gimbal board seems to make the vision sensors work again, but still no gimbal action.

Hoping it's not the mainboard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000