DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looming trade war with China, home of DJI

daisy-girl

Reactions
The following is quoted from a newsletter that I subscribe to and that is published by Jim Rickards.

"Trump will soon receive a report under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974. That report has been almost a year in preparation and will reveal that China has stolen over $1 trillion in U.S. intellectual property. Section 301 gives the president broad authority to impose sanctions and penalties. These penalties are not limited to specific sectors but may apply across a wide range of goods and services from China that benefitted [sic] in any way from the theft of IP. Initial reports indicate that these penalties will be about $60 billion. But, that's just for starters. Trump will wait to see if China is willing to make concessions in other areas. If not, he can easily double or triple that $60 billion figure. Wall Street has its head in the sand. This trade war is not going away anytime soon. It will last for years, get much worse and be a major headwind for stock prices."

What this is going do is increase the price in anything you buy. This whole thing of imposing tariffs is going to end badly for all citizens of the United States.

Not really will have no effect on imports from DJI. The tariffs are on aluminum and still. China will do nothing that effects merchandise sales.

"Section 301 gives the president broad authority to impose sanctions and penalties. These penalties are not limited to specific sectors but may apply across a wide range of goods and services from China that benefitted [sic] in any way from the theft of IP."

I was also wondering if and how this may affect Dji prices here in the U.S. Do you think the U.S. is Dji's biggest buyer of their products? Just wondering.

I was also wondering if and how this may affect Dji prices here in the U.S. Do you think the U.S. is Dji's biggest buyer of their products? Just wondering.

I couldn't find the answer to your question but I did fine the following interesting information:

"Investment in product innovation has enabled growth. More than one-fourth of DJI's 8,000-plus employees are R&D or engineering staff. Operations are scattered across 17 strategic locations, including Shenzhen for manufacturing. "There's only one place in the world where you can [manufacture] efficiently and cheaply and create products with that level of sophisticated integration. That's Shenzhen," Anderson said.

"DJI also taps into global talent with worldwide offices: Hong Kong handles logistics, Tokyo develops cameras, and programmers write code in San Mateo, California. A creative team works out of Los Angeles while a New York office handles public affairs and government relations."

Source: The first major drone conflict is over, and China won it

In short, DJI depends for its survival on the free movement of capital and information, i.e., a globalized economy.

I'd like to believe that the fact that "programmers write code in San Mateo, California" means that there is no Chinese theft of intellectual property of US origin, as that is an important reason for President Trump's decision to levy fines on China.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddesens
I realize this is an older thread however the speculation has seemed to become a reality. I work for a company which is largest supplier of RF semiconductors in the world. I know that our stock has been hurt significantly due to Huawei lost business.

I'm curious as to what this will mean for drone customers in the US as far as DJI is concerned. Personally I'm back ordered on my Flymore package from DJI. Has this been typical in the past that DJI orders are back ordered? Does anyone think that there will be reduced supply from DJI and increased pricing either from DJI or on a secondary market. I'm happy to have received my M2P a week ago.

-Lee

Folks - I am not 100% sure if thesis related to the "trade war", but my Mavic Air which was shipped to me from Shenzhen, China, is being held by Fedex in Anchorage for :

Shipment subject to anti-dumping / countervailing review. Shipment held for agreement to pay duty. FEDEX will contact importer.
ENDQUOTE

This only happened yesterday (Saturday 22-Jun), so not clear what DJI's response will be. I am also a bit confused if I am the importer, or if DJI is....

See my post here for details:

(if there is a cleaner way to post a link to another message, please let me know....)

Folks - I am not 100% sure if thesis related to the "trade war", but my Mavic Air which was shipped to me from Shenzhen, China, is being held by Fedex in Anchorage for :

Shipment subject to anti-dumping / countervailing review. Shipment held for agreement to pay duty. FEDEX will contact importer.
ENDQUOTE

This only happened yesterday (Saturday 22-Jun), so not clear what DJI's response will be. I am also a bit confused if I am the importer, or if DJI is....

See my post here for details:

(if there is a cleaner way to post a link to another message, please let me know....)

Sorry to hear about the delay. Hard to imagine the DJI product being subject to anti dumping as they are the leader. I do agree that this could be a method of trying to leverage control in the trade war. Glad yours finally made it through.

Last edited:
this is pretty common with Federal express. I have had many items shipped from the UK, via Fed Express. If this works the same, then they will release the shipment, but you may get an invoice from Fed Express for the Duty. I have not seen this before with a DJI shipment from China, but I guess things have changed.

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure