DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedMember

Reactions
That was quick. I thought I got a great drone .i thought I was a decent operator that the area was safe and when lost connection all was good. How wrong I was. On Sunday I few around some foot hills in my area no issues at all 18 satalites. Yesterday I repeated the same action but I was closer to my point of interest. 200 yards closer. Flight path was and destination was less then a half mile line of site. Maybe I was to close to the mountain but I lost contact . tried to re establish link unsuccessful the drone just hovered until it decided to just land where it stopped. Why? It stopped and landed in a difficult to reach location . I tried to climb a mountain to find it feeling foolish and depressed. This is dangerous and frightening. I had great satalite link at least 15. Why not return home? Now I prepare to go back to possibly find it. I know the location roughly with the flight data. Drone is 2 weeks old and I pray its not broke or i dont die trying to get it. 763057630676307

Why not return home? Now I prepare to go back to possibly find it. I know the location roughly with the flight data. Drone is 2 weeks old and I pray its not broke or i dont die trying to get it.
When you want to find out what happened in a flight incident or you want to find a lost drone, the first thing to do is look at the recorded flight data.
If you want help with this incident, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and perhaps a likely GPS location to search.

That was quick. I thought I got a great drone .i thought I was a decent operator that the area was safe and when lost connection all was good. How wrong I was. On Sunday I few around some foot hills in my area no issues at all 18 satalites. Yesterday I repeated the same action but I was closer to my point of interest. 200 yards closer. Flight path was and destination was less then a half mile line of site. Maybe I was to close to the mountain but I lost contact . tried to re establish link unsuccessful the drone just hovered until it decided to just land where it stopped. Why? It stopped and landed in a difficult to reach location . I tried to climb a mountain to find it feeling foolish and depressed. This is dangerous and frightening. I had great satalite link at least 15. Why not return home? Now I prepare to go back to possibly find it. I know the location roughly with the flight data. Drone is 2 weeks old and I pray its not broke or i dont die trying to get it. ...(images not quoted)

Please see the post by @Meta4 and the link in it above:

What device were you using to control your drone?
What kind of DJI drone were you piloting (mavic 2 series, Mavic Pro, etc.

When a DJI drone loses contact with its controller for more than a couple of seconds it can only do 2 things; (1) return to home (RTH) or (2) hover.
Which one it does is set by the user.
This is not said to caste blame, but to help explain it and answer one of your questions.

Once you have recovered your drone, read the section in the full manual available on the DJI website.
Become familiar with the return to home button on your controller.... and I recommend that you select automatic RTH for signal loss.

Best of luck

When you want to find out what happened in a flight incident or you want to find a lost drone, the first thing to do is look at the recorded flight data.
If you want help with this incident, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and perhaps a likely GPS location to search.
I was able to find the drone using FIND MY DRONE. ..YIPPEE. now it looks like its headed to the shop for a new gimbal

When a DJI drone loses contact with its controller for more than a couple of seconds it can only do 2 things; (1) return to home (RTH) or (2) hover.
This is not said to caste blame, but to help explain it and answer one of your questions.

Once you have recovered your drone, read the section in the full manual available on the DJI website.
Become familiar with the return to home button on your controller.... and I recommend that you select automatic RTH for signal loss.

Best of luck
[/QUOTE
lost signal with the MP2. Controller tried several times to "reliable" but get this even though I had clear line of site at less then 1/2 mile RTH set for the landing pad I launched from the drone did not even hover it decided to land with 75% battery WTH? I just recoved the drone in a pretty difficult place to access. state land rocky uneven terrain dense woods. GPS led me right to my ladylove. Gimbal is broken needs repair. The craft did not do what it was design to do. dji has the infomation the data is synchronized . my best guess was I lost phone service momentarily? But why not come back? Why land? I rushed to a different closer location because I knew I had 20 min to re establish contact but it was already down hopefully dji won't hit me with a big repair bill. And I won't have a drone to fly for 2 weeks. That sucks I love to fly

That was quick. I thought I got a great drone .i thought I was a decent operator that the area was safe and when lost connection all was good. How wrong I was. On Sunday I few around some foot hills in my area no issues at all 18 satalites. Yesterday I repeated the same action but I was closer to my point of interest. 200 yards closer. Flight path was and destination was less then a half mile line of site. Maybe I was to close to the mountain but I lost contact . tried to re establish link unsuccessful the drone just hovered until it decided to just land where it stopped. Why? It stopped and landed in a difficult to reach location . I tried to climb a mountain to find it feeling foolish and depressed. This is dangerous and frightening. I had great satalite link at least 15. Why not return home? Now I prepare to go back to possibly find it. I know the location roughly with the flight data. Drone is 2 weeks old and I pray its not broke or i dont die trying to get it. View attachment 76305View attachment 76306View attachment 76307
What was your RTH behavior set to in the Go4 App?
You have posted in the Mavic Air Help section but your icon on your screenshot from your flight log suggests a different aircraft - which is it?

Reactions: Slim.slamma
but get this even though I had clear line of site at less then 1/2 mile RTH set for the landing pad I launched from the drone did not even hover it decided to land with 75% battery WTH? ...
The craft did not do what it was design to do. dji has the infomation the data is synchronized . my best guess was I lost phone service momentarily? But why not come back? Why land?
The big mystery is why you ask questions but don't do anything to help solve the mystery when it's been pointed out how to.

The big mystery is why you ask questions but don't do anything to help solve the mystery when it's been pointed out how to.
The word phantom threw me off. No mystery just stupidity on my part. Much appreciated

Best of luck
You guys asked and tried. Sometimes experience is the best teacher. Hope he checks and resets that RTH option before round 2... ;)

Last edited:
The word phantom threw me off. No mystery just stupidity on my part. Much appreciated
If I had a mystery downing of my drone I'd want to find out what caused it so I could prevent similar events in future.
Hope he checks and resets that RTH option before round 2... ;)
RTH is the default loss of signal optin and almost no-one ever changes it. His setting will be seen in the data if he posts it.
Chances are something else is the issue.

Reactions: Thomas B
If I had a mystery downing of my drone I'd want to find out what caused it so I could prevent similar events in future.

RTH is the default loss of signal optin and almost no-one ever changes it. His setting will be seen in the data if he posts it.
Chances are something else is the issue.
Still trying to figure out how to find then post the information. dJI HAS the information off my phone .all of it. When I go to look I don't see the options stated but I will keep trying. The video of the flight says " Home location recorded" then drone flys for 7 minutes , weak signal warning then started to descend. Obstical avoidance shutting down Warning ,then landing notification.

Very similar experience to mine today.....sudden disconnection despite the drone being fairly close. I think that it was the first time ever that I had had this.....perhaps something in the firmware update??????

Had the wifi on the phone turned off and was in airplane mode, so I do not think that was a cause, but reading your post there are so many similarities.

Technology is great WHEN it works......

Maybe I was to close to the mountain but I lost contact . tried to re establish link unsuccessful the drone just hovered until it decided to just land where it stopped. Why? It stopped and landed in a difficult to reach location . I tried to climb a mountain to find it feeling foolish and depressed. This is dangerous and frightening. I had great satalite link at least 15. Why not return home? Now I prepare to go back to possibly find it. I know the location I pray its not broke or i dont die trying to get it.
I'm having a hard time matching your description to what the data shows.
You launched, flew up over 1100 feet and 4000 ft out.
You lost signal at 3:53.4 and when signal returned at 4:26.3, the drone was in RTH and 370 ft closer to home.
At 4:56.4 you cancelled the RTH and resumed control and flew back until 5:45.7 when the autolanding commenced.
Altitude was 1150 ft and the battery was at 79%.
You made no effort to cancel the autolanding and the drone descended until you lost signal at 6:35, altitude = 703 ft and distance = 2882 ft.

It looks to me like you initiated the autolanding, possibly thinking you had pressed the screen RTH button?
And let the drone land without trying to bring it back.

You can drive quite close to where the drone landed, but it's down at the bottom of a cliff in thick forest so might be hard to find.
The GPS location to search for is: 42.651316 -74.000402

i-s2QMT5n-X3.jpg

i-wR4CgmC-X2.jpg

Very similar experience to mine today.....sudden disconnection despite the drone being fairly close. I think that it was the first time ever that I had had this.....perhaps something in the firmware update??????

Had the wifi on the phone turned off and was in airplane mode, so I do not think that was a cause, but reading your post there are so many similarities.

Technology is great WHEN it works...…

for me its pretty upsetting because I was screwing around with inferior drones for a few months and although I was learning I was getting sick and tired of the firmware issues, gimbal issues and a lack of customer support , researched dji brand and knew its what I needed, I've been treating this drone with kid gloves from day one, its 10 days old haven't even tried sport mode. flew Sunday no problems, MP2 returned home because of low battery, arrived with 35% left. ...
The flight this past Tuesday was over the exact same location but 1/2 mile closer to my target, a friend who was interested in seeing me fly came out to watch the ''latest Tec'' I boasted about the capabilities gave him a low slow look at this master of the sky's THEN we watched as the drone had signal issues, just 4 minutes into the flight so I pressed RTH , the controller kept beeping saying to relink relink , I kept pressing the relink and nothing, kept pressing RTH yet it just sat there hovering , my friend is looking at me saying ''oh man its going to crash'', I wasn't worried at all, I literally had enough time to jog and catch it if the terrain would let me, then I see its ''landing'' NOOO I did not press land. again the controller is sounding alarm saying to relink...nothing.
I jump in my car and drive 100 yards closer but as I look up its gone and I get a message (cant take off) branches in the picture...im like shocked, my friend says that's on state land and its posted no trespassing because its dangerous area difficult terrain . Did a early morning hike extraction before the rain but the gimbal is damaged and the drone has a noticeable wobble. customer support started a work order and where helpful but if I get a bill for anything over 100.00 I will be pissed, I think there drone made a mistake worst yet I cant fly for 2 or 3 weeks.and now I will be worried it will crash again and I like to fly over water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS