DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing patience with mavic

I'm definitely no pro, but this is a pano I made of 7 portrait photos that I really like. It was worked in Lightroom.

Attachments

• 9CCAD72B-65E1-42D3-BD02-AAC955CDB843.jpeg
    9CCAD72B-65E1-42D3-BD02-AAC955CDB843.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
You might try taking it out of auto. Getting familiar with what inputs allow for better darks, etc can really change post editing issues. Try keeping the exposure a little brighter to avoid that muddling in the trees.

I will admit the images look a little sketch on the right side, but first things first. I'm not sure anyone else caught this.

Never use an ND filter for still photos. An ND lowers the light level for video, providing motion blur by slowing the shutter speed. But that same slowing of the shutter is a killer of sharp photos on a moving platform. Make no mistake the Mavic IS moving even if it seems completely stationary.

Considering the Mavic sensor is small, it needs all the light it can get. The ND adds no value to still photography on the Mavic. As already stated it lowers shutter speed, raises ISO, and raises noise levels, contributing to mush and watercolor.

Video is another story completely.
Well spotted.

I don't usually take photos with a filter on. The previous photo was a flight where I only took photos and no filter.

The second photo was a flight where I took video but must have pushed the photo button. Don't have many photos so used that to try and show the focus issue I'm having.

Been watching some mavic YouTube footage and a lot of it has the same issue as me, soft on one side. I've watched those videos before and the footage looked good and I didn't notice it.

Think it's a case of because I know it's there I'm looking for it and it's spoiling my perception of the video.

I think I'm just going to have to live with it and try to forget it's there.

It fly's so well and that's most of the fun for me, don't want to risk getting one that doesn't.

nice job :) And yes, you can take pics in auto and often get good results. but knowing why, and then being able to tweak it to your style and prep it for post are both things that can sometimes separate the epic shots from the typical.

knowing the camera, why, how etc is often some of the rewarding part of photography for me. After years, i just started learning how to use EV as a tool instead of letting go on auto. Always ways to understand the art better... but auto works too for some things!

Reactions: AnttiCato
nice job :) And yes, you can take pics in auto and often get good results. but knowing why, and then being able to tweak it to your style and prep it for post are both things that can sometimes separate the epic shots from the typical.

knowing the camera, why, how etc is often some of the rewarding part of photography for me. After years, i just started learning how to use EV as a tool instead of letting go on auto. Always ways to understand the art better... but auto works too for some things!

If you take a close look at the picture I took of the bridge, you'll notice theres a naked person who just jumped off the bridge :D GO FINLAND!! :D We swim anywhere :D Great timing.. too bad I didn't shoot it in video :D

If you take a close look at the picture I took of the bridge, you'll notice theres a naked person who just jumped off the bridge :D GO FINLAND!! :D We swim anywhere :D Great timing.. too bad I didn't shoot it in video :D

When I zoom in extremely it looks like the person on the bridge is sitting on a swing?

When I zoom in extremely it looks like the person on the bridge is sitting on a swing?
HAWHAW!! :D Just checking, are people paying any attention here :) Yeah, actually it's a swing thats suspended under the bridge. And it's a mannequin, not an actual person :)
...but quite a few people actually have dived off this bridge for a swim.. mostly due to some stupid-*** bet, and always DRUNK AF! :D

Well spotted.

I don't usually take photos with a filter on. The previous photo was a flight where I only took photos and no filter.

The second photo was a flight where I took video but must have pushed the photo button. Don't have many photos so used that to try and show the focus issue I'm having.

Been watching some mavic YouTube footage and a lot of it has the same issue as me, soft on one side. I've watched those videos before and the footage looked good and I didn't notice it.

Think it's a case of because I know it's there I'm looking for it and it's spoiling my perception of the video.

I think I'm just going to have to live with it and try to forget it's there.

It fly's so well and that's most of the fun for me, don't want to risk getting one that doesn't.
Ok then, just making sure all bases were covered.

You def seem to have the classic soft focus corner. I’m not sure I would just live with it, especially knowing what the Mavic is capable of.

I know it’s easy for me to say since I don’t have the issue but if it is still under warranty I’d send it back while you still can.

Do it while the weather’s nasty and you won’t miss it that much.

Hate, that you got an issue. I’ve been fortunate not to.

Ok then, just making sure all bases were covered.

You def seem to have the classic soft focus corner. I’m not sure I would just live with it, especially knowing what the Mavic is capable of.

I know it’s easy for me to say since I don’t have the issue but if it is still under warranty I’d send it back while you still can.

Do it while the weather’s nasty and you won’t miss it that much.

Hate, that you got an issue. I’ve been fortunate not to.
Yeah your probably right. I might try to get a few more flights then send it in over xmas.

This is not a Mavic bashing post, I love it for what it is but I'm starting to lose patience with the image quality.

I don't use it commercially, I just like going out filming great locations and adding a shine with minimal post editing.

Im not new to video or editing but this is my first quad. It's an absolute joy to fly but unfortunately it stops there for me.

I bought the Mavic after watching YouTube videos which obviously had a massive amount of post work done.

Every time I go out I run through 3 batteries and 90% of the footage or images is absolute junk.

I've tried every tip I can find, have polar pro shutter and vivid series filters but I'm left looking for something I feel it will never achieve.

Maybe it's me, maybe I will be able to find a setting that works with minimal post editing but I'm seriously tempted to get a P4P and keep the Mavic for fun.

Anyone else in the same position?

You can't beat mavic for portability, it will get a shot where you wouldn't have carried a phantom, it's great fun to fly but I feel if your after great video you need something else as well.

Thoughts?
I thought the camera would be better on mpp but I understand.

This is not a Mavic bashing post, I love it for what it is but I'm starting to lose patience with the image quality.

I don't use it commercially, I just like going out filming great locations and adding a shine with minimal post editing.

Im not new to video or editing but this is my first quad. It's an absolute joy to fly but unfortunately it stops there for me.

I bought the Mavic after watching YouTube videos which obviously had a massive amount of post work done.

Every time I go out I run through 3 batteries and 90% of the footage or images is absolute junk.

I've tried every tip I can find, have polar pro shutter and vivid series filters but I'm left looking for something I feel it will never achieve.

Maybe it's me, maybe I will be able to find a setting that works with minimal post editing but I'm seriously tempted to get a P4P and keep the Mavic for fun.

Anyone else in the same position?

You can't beat mavic for portability, it will get a shot where you wouldn't have carried a phantom, it's great fun to fly but I feel if your after great video you need something else as well.

Thoughts?

I find the Mavic great for real estate videos, mapping, and nothing more. The front end (glass) of the camera is just too cheap to be taken seriously. That said, it DOES produce great real estate videos and good stills for mapping. I use all manual settings and am pretty pleased. I would never use it for any creative endeavor.

Have a look and see what you think.

Its really obvious in this one, others not so much but every image just looks off.

Id love nothing more than it to be something I'm doing wrong that I can fix.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Are you taking the pictures and videos from your tablet?? Or the sd card? I know someone who didn’t realize that the tablet will cache the low quality version of your videos and photos but the good stuff is on the sd card. Also, do you have your Mavic set on “continuous focus”?

Reactions: gerrardfamilysyd
Mt tip...never fly into sun with gymal allowed to face sun. If you do the camera gets really messed up and only a reset can fix it

...I look it at like this:

$ MAVIC = CAMERA PHONE

$$ PHANTOM = POINT AND SHOOT

$$$$$ INSPIRE AND ABOVE W/ X7, ETC. = DSLR

...filters are actually pretty important for getting quality video in bright sunlight, otherwise you will be facing a shutter speed upwards of 1/1250th to get a proper exposure - this will give you a super staccato looking video and any props or prop shadows that sneak into the shot will be VERY obvious as opposed to being blurred out and almost invisible at the proper 1/50th of a second shutter speed...I just shot some beautiful mountain footage recently and after seeing the video was SO kicking myself for not taking the time to filter up! - it was unusable garbage...

I had the mushy looking videos also with my first Mavic. I noticed the sensors didn't handle foliage well at all. It helped to set the settings at +1-0-0, but it still looked like crap. When I got my replacement, I immediately noticed a huge improvement. There is no doubt many of the early Mavics had a misaligned lens.
This is one of my first photos with the replacement. Settings all manual and no post adjustments. I am very satisfied with the Mavic now.
DJI_0060.JPG

Might be a stupid remark, but I noticed that pictures (and video) are crystal clear and not fuzzy when there is no wind at all.
In windy conditions, and sometime you don't know how strong are the wind conditions upstairs, the gimbal is doing his best, but there is no magic, if the MP is shaking, you'll get some fuzzy areas in the picture.

The best test you can do: put the MP on a high fixed area, take pictures/video, then take off and hover 30 feets above, take pictures/video and compare.

HTH

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh