DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing RC signal

A.O.

Reactions
So since my latest "upgrades" Firmware and the Fly App 1.2.5 I keep losing RC signal , and I'm losing it in places where I have frequented flying to before with no problems. So its not that I'm flying to marginal areas, I am flying into known areas where I never had these problems before. One is about 2200 feet from home point, the other only about 1000 feet. Very annoying, and I'm losing confidence in flying this thing!!!

Also, I get a warning to "adjust my antennas" is there any adjustment there?

Any Ideas??

Are you using a new mount that's blocking the antennas at all ??
Or try uninstalling app....reinstalling it and start over...the old on/off trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: A.O.
So since my latest "upgrades" Firmware and the Fly App 1.2.5 I keep losing RC signal , and I'm losing it in places where I have frequented flying to before with no problems. So its not that I'm flying to marginal areas, I am flying into known areas where I never had these problems before. One is about 2200 feet from home point, the other only about 1000 feet. Very annoying, and I'm losing confidence in flying this thing!!!

Any Ideas??
You can rule out the App, for obvious reasons...first being it is reporting that your radio signal is the problem, second is it has nothing to do with flight distance anyway. Shooting problems like this are just to much to find the error, and you have to start removing things from the equation. If it was indeed a firmware problem then everyone would be reporting the issue, or a LARGE number of people. Adjust antenna warning could mean a few things, but most normally your not pointing them at aircraft or close approximately in general direction.

Given that you are flying in a once known "good" location..you are going to have to deduce that it is something now in that location that has changed...or that your having a hardware issue (Defective).

Rule out location, go to a different (hopefully radio LOS) and climb to say 300AGL shoot it out in distance and don't vary direction. See if it reports same issue. If it goes substantially farther than previous than most likely your system is good.

So now you have to figure out if some other source is influencing your known good area now...what that is could be hard to determine as it might not be there all the time or may be atmospheric in nature. Your just going to have to use some basic troubleshooting as I outlined and narrow it down I guess. I fly a primary path here to go out scouting....different days have different outcomes, as long as you rule out hardware failure, that is the first step :)

Reactions: Meta4 and A.O.
Are you using a new mount that's blocking the antennas at all ??
Or try uninstalling app....reinstalling it and start over...the old on/off trick.
Same mount I've been using since I got the iPad at Christmas, I may try that delete app and reinstall thing, hadn't thought about that, cant hurt right?

You can rule out the App, for obvious reasons...first being it is reporting that your radio signal is the problem, second is it has nothing to do with flight distance anyway. Shooting problems like this are just to much to find the error, and you have to start removing things from the equation. If it was indeed a firmware problem then everyone would be reporting the issue, or a LARGE number of people. Adjust antenna warning could mean a few things, but most normally your not pointing them at aircraft or close approximately in general direction.

Given that you are flying in a once known "good" location..you are going to have to deduce that it is something now in that location that has changed...or that your having a hardware issue (Defective).

Rule out location, go to a different (hopefully radio LOS) and climb to say 300AGL shoot it out in distance and don't vary direction. See if it reports same issue. If it goes substantially farther than previous than most likely your system is good.

So now you have to figure out if some other source is influencing your known good area now...what that is could be hard to determine as it might not be there all the time or may be atmospheric in nature. Your just going to have to use some basic troubleshooting as I outlined and narrow it down I guess. I fly a primary path here to go out scouting....different days have different outcomes, as long as you rule out hardware failure, that is the first step :)
Raining today, but I'll try some of that tomorrow.. And none of it started till I "upgraded" .

Both my latest "upgrades" seem to have been "downgrades" in performance and useability...

For Apple stuff is there anyway to back up an old app before doing an update? If needs be could you possibly make a clone-copy of the entire OS. (there is something in the back of my mind about that but it might relate to only Macbooks)
I am aware that 'cloning' an OS is BY NO MEANS simply copying every file that exists within the original OS, all the internal links etc. ( I have forgotten the appropriate lingo) must be maintained etc. and probably much more than that.

For Apple stuff is there anyway to back up an old app before doing an update? If needs be could you possibly make a clone-copy of the entire OS. (there is something in the back of my mind about that but it might relate to only Macbooks)
I am aware that 'cloning' an OS is BY NO MEANS simply copying every file that exists within the original OS, all the internal links etc. ( I have forgotten the appropriate lingo) must be maintained etc. and probably much more than that.
I am not a big Apple Guy, but I fly my DJI with Apple. I used to have a P3P (well still do) that I flew with a iPad Mini 2. As things progressed I got a P4, back then The Go 3 App still worked on it. I then got a MP1 and again the Go 3 worked as well. My Go 3 App was old software, I hadn't updated it in about 2 years. Subsequently is when DJI went and from the Toggle switch of old Geo Fence to new system beta, they updated the App, pulled the choice and went to the GEO that we all know today (Close enough).

I hadn't updated as I said. But what they did do was pull the P4 and MP1 over to their new system the GO 4 App. Now this didn't effect me at first as I left all my Firmware (Aircraft) alone and flew with my Old Go 3 App. But this became that and improvements were made and then the Mini 2 couldn't run the newer Go 4 without glitching. So I planned on getting a Mini 4 in preperation for the future, which was just out... I then opted for a iPad Pro as it was even more powerful and larger screen. I contacted one of my friends and he outlined the procedure of the "Clone" which was pretty straight forward to do via a laptop. So long story short my new iPad Pro got loaded with my Mini 2 and thus my Old Go 3 with ability to turn of the GEO. SO I know it can be done or at least could. I may be wrong but I believe the only way to do is to "Clone" to a computer, not to a iCloud, as then Apple will just update the software marker of installed programs...I can't verify that today, but I believe that was the situation.

A little break in the weather so I'm messing with it. I have a protective cover for my iPad mini that turns it off when I close it.. I believe magnetic so I thought that might be part of the problem although it didn't effect it before. Took the cover off and flew it again... same results losing signal still. So I just deleted the App and am reinstalling it... we'll see what comes.

So according to the DJI guy over on the DJI forum its due to using the iPad mini 5. It is not on the "reccomended" list for some reason. I thought for sure when I got it it was on the list , but it is not.
So I'm going to try it on my iPhone 7 which is on that list, and has the old Fly app 1.2.1 or what ever it was, so maybe I'll get the good indicator back!
I did delete the fly app off my mini and reinstall it yesterday to no avail.

The wife s going to beat me if I asked for, and received a mini 5 for Christmas and it doesn't work right!!

So according to the DJI guy over on the DJI forum its due to using the iPad mini 5. It is not on the "reccomended" list for some reason. I thought for sure when I got it it was on the list , but it is not.
So I'm going to try it on my iPhone 7 which is on that list, and has the old Fly app 1.2.1 or what ever it was, so maybe I'll get the good indicator back!
I did delete the fly app off my mini and reinstall it yesterday to no avail.

The wife s going to beat me if I asked for, and received a mini 5 for Christmas and it doesn't work right!!
As I, and others have said numerous times, any new Apple is going to work bar none. The Mini 5 has been used by easily 1000's of people with no issues flying DJI products. I mean no disrespect, but one needs to understand the basics of what these devices do. Apple is a closed system unlike Android. Other than a Operating System release which will go Apple wide (not just mini 5) there will NEVER be any reason one new Apple product will not work better than the last. IApple programmers and those that use their system to program Apps will solve any OS system problem within days...week at the most.

It just is a fact, this isn't our first rodeo. I understood the simplicity of the Apple system over Android products some 5 years ago and I am a diehard Android user. I bought my first Apple and it worked flawlessly with DJI, I am on my 2nd and still have zero issues with any DJI. Again, other than the device going out the backdoor and being under powered to advancements to a App, there will not be a problem going forward. Users of Apple and DJI will wait a week or so when a new iOS is released and watch the forums for any issues before updating, other than that it is indeed clear sailing using a Apple product...and most notably using something as tried and proven as the Mini 5 tablet. There just is no need to troubleshoot down that path...a complete waste of time...but it is your time ;)

The reason it isn't on DJI's list is they fail to update their list, they now have listed antiquated Apple products on their list saying they work when the community knows better. Their list of known good Android tablets/phones is even more ridiculous as there are easily 100's of products known to work and they don't list them. The list you linked is as the best link out there and has been for years, and it does have the Mini 5 listed as known good not sure why your not seeing that.

Attachments

• appleMini5.jpg
    appleMini5.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Any Ideas??
I have the same problem with this version of the app at both Drones (Air2 and the Mini) the last version of the app which was very Good was version 1.1.10. I hope DJI will update the app very soon!!!

Reactions: A.O.
Just to reiterate the basics, the positioning & orientation of the antenna is important. I rarely have connection issues but last summer, I flow the M2P straight up above my head to 250’ with no lateral movement and was surprised to see a warning that my SC was not getting data from the drone. I had been lazy and not rotated the antenna horizontal, (drone was above me) to be perpendicular to the LOS. It seems you don’t need much distance for a disconnect if you mismanage the antenna position.

Reactions: A.O. and Rich QR
As I, and others have said numerous times, any new Apple is going to work bar none. The Mini 5 has been used by easily 1000's of people with no issues flying DJI products. I mean no disrespect, but one needs to understand the basics of what these devices do. Apple is a closed system unlike Android. Other than a Operating System release which will go Apple wide (not just mini 5) there will NEVER be any reason one new Apple product will not work better than the last. IApple programmers and those that use their system to program Apps will solve any OS system problem within days...week at the most.

It just is a fact, this isn't our first rodeo. I understood the simplicity of the Apple system over Android products some 5 years ago and I am a diehard Android user. I bought my first Apple and it worked flawlessly with DJI, I am on my 2nd and still have zero issues with any DJI. Again, other than the device going out the backdoor and being under powered to advancements to a App, there will not be a problem going forward. Users of Apple and DJI will wait a week or so when a new iOS is released and watch the forums for any issues before updating, other than that it is indeed clear sailing using a Apple product...and most notably using something as tried and proven as the Mini 5 tablet. There just is no need to troubleshoot down that path...a complete waste of time...but it is your time ;)

The reason it isn't on DJI's list is they fail to update their list, they now have listed antiquated Apple products on their list saying they work when the community knows better. Their list of known good Android tablets/phones is even more ridiculous as there are easily 100's of products known to work and they don't list them. The list you linked is as the best link out there and has been for years, and it does have the Mini 5 listed as known good not sure why your not seeing that.
YES it is my time and I will try my iPhone 7 and see if there is a difference, thank you very much.

And devices supported by DJI have a blue dot in front of them showing that they do, the mini5 has NO dots in front of it showing that DJI supports it, not sure why you are not seeing that!

Just to reiterate the basics, the positioning & orientation of the antenna is important. I rarely have connection issues but last summer, I flow the M2P straight up above my head to 250’ with no lateral movement and was surprised to see a warning that my SC was not getting data from the drone. I had been lazy and not rotated the antenna horizontal, (drone was above me) to be perpendicular to the LOS. It seems you don’t need much distance for a disconnect if you mismanage the antenna position.
Agreed, and while working on all this I have been very mindful of the antenna and which way it is pointing, it didn't help.

Will fly with my iPhone 7 today and see if there is any difference... exploring ALL avenues. I would love to have a MA2 that works correctly like it did when I got it!

YES it is my time and I will try my iPhone 7 and see if there is a difference, thank you very much.

And devices supported by DJI have a blue dot in front of them showing that they do, the mini5 has NO dots in front of it showing that DJI supports it, not sure why you are not seeing that!
Calm your jets man, just trying to explain. It is irreverent what that page shows as what DJI "thinks" and what their app has been tested with as I explained they just don't update, if their engineers don't have that tablet, they just don't add it. The opposite side shows what actual users also color coded by App shows. You will notice had you understood my point, that the Mini 5 has more than any other Apple product over time released using the Go Fly App reporting it as used and "works great". Granted the list is a roll over between those that have a Mini 4 and are happy and didn't wish or need to update to those newer pilots that indeed bought a Mini 5 and are now using it cross platform between Go 4 and the Fly App. The info is right there and hard fact..

The mini 5 is being used by more DJI owners that are reporting to that list and are using The Fly App. What DJI says again is unimportant, it's real world info that keeps pilots informed of what actually is and isn't. I am merely just trying to point you that threads like these and sites like that, and those of that have been flying and dealing with DJI for many years know what is and what isn't..You can listen to DJI if you wish, or you could listen to those who actually know what is REALLY the case given data available. As I said it's your time, if you wish to dismiss advice from others who have already been there...done that. It's your choice, but do it a bit more respectful, I have done nothing since the start to be helpful to you and your journey.. I will move on and let you do your own efforts and mistakes if that is what you wish, doesn't bother me one bit. I have helped 100(0)'s of people over the years, I have a pretty good record...it's not perfect..but better than most that offer their 2 cents using speculation and internet google...have a good one and fly safe. :)

Last edited:
Calm your jets man, just trying to explain. It is irreverent what that page shows as what DJI "thinks" and what their app has been tested with as I explained they just don't update, if their engineers don't have that tablet, they just don't add it. The opposite side shows what actual users also color coded by App shows. You will notice had you understood my point, that the Mini 5 has more than any other Apple product over time released using the Go Fly App reporting it as used and "works great". Granted the list is a roll over between those that have a Mini 4 and are happy and didn't wish or need to update to those newer pilots that indeed bought a Mini 5 and are now using it cross platform between Go 4 and the Fly App. The info is right there and hard fact..

The mini 5 is being used by more DJI owners that are reporting to that list and are using The Fly App. What DJI says again is unimportant, it's real world info that keeps pilots informed of what actually is and isn't. I am merely just trying to point you that threads like these and sites like that, and those of that have been flying and dealing with DJI for many years know what is and what isn't..You can listen to DJI if you wish, or you could listen to those who actually know what is REALLY the case given data available. As I said it's your time, if you wish to dismiss advice from others who have already been there...done that. It's your choice, but do it a bit more respectful, I have done nothing since the start to be helpful to you and your journey.. I will move on and let you do your own efforts and mistakes if that is what you wish, doesn't bother me one bit. I have helped 100(0)'s of people over the years, I have a pretty good record...it's not perfect..but better than most that offer their 2 cents using speculation and internet google...have a good one and fly safe. :)
I listen to EVERYONE, DJI and you included, amongst others as well, I interpret ALL the information I am getting and make decisions based on EVERYTHING I have heard.
Nothing yet has worked including your advice on things, I did this yesterday: "Rule out location, go to a different (hopefully radio LOS) and climb to say 300AGL shoot it out in distance and don't vary direction. See if it reports same issue. If it goes substantially farther than previous than most likely your system is good."
That you suggested, flew to my set limit of 396ft altitude and straight out, had the same results sporadically starting at about 2500 ft distance.. went to about 3300ft then returned. This is in boonyville! no buildings, wires or anything else to disturb things. So I AM trying a bit of everything, your suggestions as well.
And my jets are just fine! ;)

So I flew with my iPhone 7 today... EXACT same outcome and to make matters worse my phone auto updated to version 1.2.5 as soon as I got it hooked up Grrrr!!
So still trying to figure out what to do.
Found another update , the fly safe or whatever its called, so I did that. Went back to using the mini 5 and no better, got a message a couple times, "vision sensors blocked fly with caution"... hmm, it was at 140 feet high in clear air, no idea what that was about.
So when I get weak RC signal it is very spotty so I was playing ith it.. turning the drone on its axis, going a little forward and back, things like that... I'd go from strong signal to almost no signal back and forth, no real rhyme or reason to it!!

Repaid1, I am listening to what you are saying but most of it is Chinese to me... cloning?? not a clue what you are talking about there...

GETTING FRUSTRATED!! What to do, what to do...

Bout ready to park it!

Don't know if it's related. I had the same problem with my M2P w/Smart Controller. Had excellent signal and connection, then when I updated the SC to work with the MA2, then the M2P started having the above problem. The MA2 works great, just had the degraded signal/distance on the M2P.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman