DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New RC for Mavic Air 2"

jclarkw

Reactions
Several years ago I bought the Mavic Air 2 "Fly More" package, which then included the rudamentary but functional RC231 (maybe now called the RC-N1?). I'm unable to update the obsolete firmware on this RC (discussed at length with DJI officials on their forum) and apparently have to return it for repair. Before I do that (and lose access to my aircraft), however, I want to know if there are other controllers fully compatible with the Air 2. DJI Support has suggested the "Smart Controller" (with built-in screen), but that appears to be available only refurbished for $600 -- way too expensive!

If there's still anybody here familiar with this older drone, can they offer suggestions?

Best Regards to All -- jclarkw

Update: Amazon offers a couple of RC231/RC-N1 look-alikes from off-brand manufacturers (RotorLogic and INSYOO, whoever they are). No idea if these are any good or even compatible... -- jclarkw

Last edited:
Those smart controllers pop up in the Classified from time to time at very competitive prices. They're hanging on because Mavic 2 and Mini 2 still depend on them.

Reactions: jclarkw
Totally agree, while the updates are available i do update them, till no mre 😎
GEO originally was optional, and had a toggle to disable it. Later updates removed the toggle. RID was originally optional. Once you update to enable RID, you cannot go back and disable it. DJI created anti-rollback FW to prevent users from using mods on earlier FW versions that were not as locked down. They don't want us customizing their code, or modifying their chosen parameters!

GEO originally was optional, and had a toggle to disable it. Later updates removed the toggle. RID was originally optional. Once you update to enable RID, you cannot go back and disable it. DJI created anti-rollback FW to prevent users from using mods on earlier FW versions that were not as locked down. They don't want us customizing their code, or modifying their chosen parameters!
Yes the Anti-rollback has been a huge mess I recently talked in a post to a member that had accidentally flashed the wrong model on his drone with DroneHacks I am not sure how the configurator let it go, but it did it. Now unfortunately for him, He has a mini 2 that has SE firmware, the controller will not bind now and because the Anti rollback is lower than the firmware he should have flashed he is stuck. NOW he could download the DJI configurator that is floating around the internet BUT DJI actively pursues and takes action on anyone that offers this software to download, so once again -Stuck. I can see a lot of people messing up their drones if they offered a configurator for download or released the code for BETAFLIGHT but I can also see a lot of bricked drones that could fly again.
I think the biggest reason has to do with the FCC not wanting DJI to let users play with the VTX settings.

Last edited:
Several years ago I bought the Mavic Air 2 "Fly More" package, which then included the rudamentary but functional RC231 (maybe now called the RC-N1?). I'm unable to update the obsolete firmware on this RC (discussed at length with DJI officials on their forum) and apparently have to return it for repair. Before I do that (and lose access to my aircraft), however, I want to know if there are other controllers fully compatible with the Air 2. DJI Support has suggested the "Smart Controller" (with built-in screen), but that appears to be available only refurbished for $600 -- way too expensive!

If there's still anybody here familiar with this older drone, can they offer suggestions?

Best Regards to All -- jclarkw
I have the same problem with my Air 2. Can't pair/connect. I used to be able to pair with my Mini 3 Pro but not anymore. Did they quote a price to repair?

I rolled back my Mavic Pro when they enabled geofencing. I haven't updated that drone since early 2017. On the other hand I haven't flown it since I seem to have a collection of DJI drones now including the new Air 3.

Has anyone changed there parameters in drone hacks program,in the advance menu I mean.i have seen all the parameters from the retro.com website I'm trying to increase the speed for ascent and descent.
Basically up speed and down speed hopefully someone will have the correct value to adjust on my Mavic air 2.
Thanks in advance

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas