DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC 2 and RC Pro controller external antennae

Filmarik

Reactions
I have seen many YT Mavic 3 videos.
It buggs me that in majority of them the fliers had antennae on their DJI RC 2 or DJI RC Pro controllers more or less parrallel with the ground pointing towards the area where they were flying.
I thought I address this and explain why this is not ideal or very smart!
The signal is emitted from the antennae long flat sides, not from the tip!! In fact the funnel shaped space starting with the tip and extending and widening into distance is the space with the weakest signal!
If you want the best signal range your controller is capable of, and have most solid video link, the flat sides of the antennae should be facing the area where you are flying, not the tips!! Both antennae should be under normal circumstance pointed about 45 to 90 deg up towards the sky depending on how you hold your controller in your hands, unless you fly directly above your head in which case the antennae should be parrallel with the ground pointed forward with the flat sides of the antennae facing up towards the sky and the drone overhead.

Just my 2c worth.

Last edited:
I have just bought a dji rc controller for my air2s. Do these antennas improve the system by much? Would they be worth my while?
Thanks for any input!

I have just bought a dji rc controller for my air2s. Do these antennas improve the system by much? Would they be worth my while?
Thanks for any input!
Not easy to quantify by "how much" and give a definitive answer but external antennas in general are more effective at dispersing/emitting signal and also receiving signal. If you fly in VLOS only you probably won't notice much of a difference but provided the antennas on your controller are positioned correctly (read my post above) the max range and stability of the video link at longer distances should be improved. Since you've already bought it why not using it 🙂

Last edited:
I have seen many YT Mavic 3 videos.
It buggs me that in majority of them the fliers had antenas on their DJI RC or DJI RC Pro controllers more or less parrallel with the ground pointing towards the area where they were flying.
I thought I address this and explain why this is not ideal or very smart!
The signal is emitted from the antena's long flat sides, not from the tip!! In fact the funnel shaped space starting with the tip and extending and widening into distance is the space with the weakest signal!
If you want the best signal range your controller is capable of, and have most solid video link, the flat sides of the antenas should be facing the area where you are flying, not the tips!! Both antenas should be under normal circumstance pointed about 45 to 90 deg up depending on how you hold your controller in your hands, unless you fly directly above your head in which case the antenas should be parrallel with the ground pointed forward with the flat sides of the antenas facing up towards the drone above.

Just my 2c worth.
Good observation my Droner friend, this the way the controller should be pointed at a ten as 0-30-45-60 or 90 degrees depending on the angle of your flight. Also how close you are in relation to your drone. If you doing a roof inspection 60 degrees if close 45 degrees if farther away.
Same in solar, as far as a Realtor shoots
0-30-45-60-90 degrees. The antennas need to be pointed in the direction where the drone is, as you move around the antennas have to be adjusted for better reception. Also looking at the signal strength on the controller should give you an accurate reading on the different angles. We should all check that dial and c how the signal strength changes as we move the antennas.

Good observation my Droner friend, this the way the controller should be pointed at a ten as 0-30-45-60 or 90 degrees depending on the angle of your flight. Also how close you are in relation to your drone. If you doing a roof inspection 60 degrees if close 45 degrees if farther away.
Same in solar, as far as a Realtor shoots
0-30-45-60-90 degrees. The antennas need to be pointed in the direction where the drone is, as you move around the antennas have to be adjusted for better reception. Also looking at the signal strength on the controller should give you an accurate reading on the different angles. We should all check that dial and c how the signal strength changes as we move the antennas.
The signal emitted from the antennas bounces off buildings etc and the drone will pick some signal no matter what the antenna angle.
The angle of the antennas does not need to be religiously exact. The reason of my post was mostly to make people aware of their "wrong doing" and explain why the antennas should be at certain angle in relation to the drone.
Without overcomplicating this, pointing the tips of the antennas directly at the drone is the worst angle the antennas can be at 🙂

The signal emitted from the antennas bounces off buildings etc and the drone will pick some signal no matter what the antenna angle.
The angle of the antennas does not need to be religiously exact. The reason of my post was mostly to make people aware of their "wrong doing" and explain why the antennas should be at certain angle in relation to the drone.
Without overcomplicating this, pointing the tips of the antennas directly at the drone is the worst angle the antennas can be at 🙂
🤔🤔🖖🏻🆗

Reactions: Filmarik
Not easy to quantify by "how much" and give a definitive answer but external antennas in general are more effective at dispersing/emitting signal and also receiving signal. If you fly in VLOS only you probably won't notice much of a difference but provided the antennas on your controller are positioned correctly (read my post above) the max range and stability of the video link at longer distances should be improved. Since you've already bought it why not using it 🙂
Thank you Filmarik. I will take that info on board along with your previous post! 😁👍

Reactions: Filmarik
The manual show the proper relationship. The RC does not have external antennae and is VERY sensitive to direction.

The manual show the proper relationship. The RC does not have external antennae and is VERY sensitive to direction.
My apology, I meant to say RC 2 and RC Pro from the onset. The original RC, as you say does not have external antennae.
Hopefully everyone reading my post got the gist of what I was trying to say in regards to to correct external antennae orientation even with the mistake I made. (Corrected now in the title of my original post)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas