DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loss of video transmission

AClineman

Reactions
Went to West Virginia this weekend for our nephews graduation. Took the MPP and wanted to get some outdoor video of the party which was at a campground with a huge field, streams ,,, etc
Not too long after take off and about a couple hundred yards out I got a black screen on my I phone and message saying loss of video transmission. Still had eyes on the bird and brought it back in and landed. Which is good because I'm still getting used to flying and if it were behind a tree or something I might had struggeld or panicked :D

Turned the drone off and back on and everything was good. Went back out and got same message. Repeated, went back out a third time and got the same message so I packed it up.

Did manage to get about 5 minutes of video in between though.

Never got this message in all my flights at home in NJ. Any idea as what was up?

Also when I try to share or download the video to and from my phone it says it's too large. I've downloaded to phone & shared videos of the same size from my phone to people's e mail or texts before while connected to the MPP before.

Took the micro sd card out, put it in an adapter and uploaded it to my laptop but it won't play in current format ( but I think that may be a PC setting or something as it's trying to play in windows movie)

...Never got this message in all my flights at home in NJ. Any idea as what was up?

Also when I try to share or download the video to and from my phone it says it's too large. I've downloaded to phone & shared videos of the same size from my phone to people's e mail or texts before while connected to the MPP before...)
If you are caching to your phone, perhaps the phone has no more RAM available. This would explain why it is too large now when was not before.
...Took the micro sd card out, put it in an adapter and uploaded it to my laptop but it won't play in current format ( but I think that may be a PC setting or something as it's trying to play in windows movie)
You may need to change the recording format in Go 4. The native playback format for a PC is mp4. The default setting in Go 4 is mov (for Mac).

If you are caching to your phone, perhaps the phone has no more RAM available. This would explain why it is too large now when was not before.

You may need to change the recording format in Go 4. The native playback format for a PC is mp4. The default setting in Go 4 is mov (for Mac).

To your first point not sure what you mean by “caching to my phone”. Not sure what that means, but I thought video recordings and photos were stored and sent to the SD card not the device used to fly.

When we got back in NJ I flew again and recorded without issue.
Also when the issue occurred where we were in Wva there were no power lines, antennas or any interference around what so ever.

To your second point I will check into that. First time I made a video it was roughly 10 minutes long but when I reviewed it for some reason it wasn’t a 10 minute video but 2 five minute videos. I thought maybe that it would only record 5 minutes at a time.

Thanks and thanks for this site. Still trying to figure this all out.

To your first point not sure what you mean by “caching to my phone”. Not sure what that means, but I thought video recordings and photos were stored and sent to the SD card not the device used to fly...
Caching to your phone (or whatever device you are using Go 4 on) means that when recording a copy (may be lower quality) is sent to your phone or "cached" on your phone. Doing this can fill up your available RAM and make your CPU work harder (possibly causing screen pixilation or app crashes),
...When we got back in NJ I flew again and recorded without issue.
Also when the issue occurred where we were in Wva there were no power lines, antennas or any interference around what so ever...
I don't know what to say about this. Normally, if it works in the first area, not in the second, then works again in the first area, the problem is with the second area.
...To your second point I will check into that. First time I made a video it was roughly 10 minutes long but when I reviewed it for some reason it wasn’t a 10 minute video but 2 five minute videos. I thought maybe that it would only record 5 minutes at a time...
I have read reports of video recordings stopping and restarting automatically, but have not investigated further because I never record a long video. The reasons I do not record long videos are:
• Unless your flight and recording are perfect, you will be cutting and splicing your video. Shorter videos make smaller files which are easier to edit.
• If the long file gets corrupted you have lost all of the video instead of a small segment. This could happen if your SD card gets full while recording.
• Long, continuous videos are boring. Breaking up the video will better maintain the attention and interest of your audience.

How do you set it to cache to your phone? I phone 7 to be exact? This way until I get better at recording it will be there without having to upload after flight. I have a bunch of cloud storage if that helps

I do not use an iProduct, so I do not know how it works. The cache setting is in Go 4.

Can I suggest the OP read read the manual, watch some utube instructions and repeat until they understand the entire system.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+