Get the most from your Mavic
Join thousands of Mavic owners helping each other
Join Us Now

Loss of VLOS, "north" and the white triangle on the compass rose

RealAirCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
With the M2Pro facing north as displayed on the G4 App compass rose, there is a small, white triangle on the west side of the rose. It never moves. Anyone know its function?

brett8883

Reaction score
It would be helpful if the PIC could align the "n" (north) direction in the " G4 APP compass with actual north in the field thus eliminating the mental gymnastics required to note direction of flight in the event of a loss VLOS.
The triangle is the direction your device is facing. It’s does exactly what you are asking for,

Reactions: Thomas B

RealAirCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The triangle is the direction your device is facing. It’s does exactly what you are asking for,
I do not think so. The picture I posted shows the drone (displayed by the larger red triangle in the center of the compass) facing north. The white triangle is clearly west of the drone.

Evnbehr

Reaction score
I have a Mavic 2 pro as well....
I could be mistaken, but I believe the little white arrow in the compass is showing the direction to the home point or the remote controller.

Reactions: FoxhallGH

RealAirCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I do not think so. The picture I posted shows the drone (displayed by the larger red triangle in the center of the compass) facing north. The white triangle is clearly west of the drone.
I have a Mavic 2 pro as well....
I could be mistaken, but I believe the little white arrow in the compass is showing the direction to the home point or the remote controller.
In this picture the controller and PIC is south of the drone. (You cannot determine this based on the picture but I intentionally faced the drone north for this exercise.) If the PIC rotates the drone (large red triangle) left to face west, then the drone will be flying west and the right side of the drone is facing north.

brett8883

Reaction score
You misunderstood. It’s facing the direction of the mobile device, ie your controller ie you.

You don’t need your drone connected to test this. Open the DJI go 4 app, turn the device as if you are fly and then turn around and watch the triangle move

RealAirCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
In this picture the controller and PIC is south of the drone. (You cannot determine this based on the picture but I intentionally faced the drone north for this exercise.) If the PIC rotates the drone (large red triangle) left to face west, then the drone will be flying west and the right side of the drone is facing north.
Remember, the white triangle never moves in relation to north on the compass rose. The two are always in the same positions. Only the red (drone) triangle moves.

Meta4

Reaction score
The white triangle is in the direction you have the controller facing.
Try rotating to face in different directions and observe the display.

Meta4

Reaction score
Remember, the white triangle never moves in relation to north on the compass rose.
That's not true.
The white mark is not a compass point, it's your sight line.
If you move to point a different direction, where North is should too.

Reactions: Gindra

RealAirCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Testing. Standby
You are correct. I have not seen this happen in the field. Most certainly because I always stand in one place in relation to the take off/landing zone and face the same direction (towards the AUVSI TOP course) while I fly the drone through its maneuvers. Very Interesting. Many thanks.

Dave Maine

Reaction score
This can be very helpful, as it shows you how to align the rc antenas with the drone’s location. In the example shown, the remote controller is 90 degrees to the drone, making for reduced signal strength for both control and video signals.

Reactions: Johnsrog and Gindra

FoxhallGH

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The display you are seeing has two functions ... Firstly it is a compass that displays the direction that the drone is heading in, but secondly, it is an 'Attitude Indicator' ... A bit like the globe-like indicator you see in the middle of an aircraft cockpit dashboard. The blue line and shaded area below it is the horizon ... The small white triangle is your vertical reference point. If you see the blue area at 90 degrees to the white triangle, you know that your wings are level!.
The picture in post #3 is effectively showing you that the attitude of the drone is currently slightly nose-up, with a little bit of left-wing/arms down ... Have a look at this video to see how this works ...

JORGE SM

Reaction score
My interpretation of that white point is as follows:

If at some point, because of the sun, because of a cloud, because of an oversight, we lose sight of the drone and it doesn't have to be because I have moved it too far away, if not you just don't locate it visually and you get nervous :) What I do is to turn the station until the RED tip is in line with the WHITE POINT, in that direction is the drone.

When I checked how it worked, they explained it to me and then I tried it and from that moment I always know in which direction the drone is.

Reactions: Thomas B

FoxhallGH

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
My interpretation of that white point is as follows:

If at some point, because of the sun, because of a cloud, because of an oversight, we lose sight of the drone and it doesn't have to be because I have moved it too far away, if not you just don't locate it visually and you get nervous :) What I do is to turn the station until the RED tip is in line with the WHITE POINT, in that direction is the drone.

When I checked how it worked, they explained it to me and then I tried it and from that moment I always know in which direction the drone is.
The small white triangle is showing you the way that you are facing. If you have the drone's 'kite' symbol pointing 'up' at the small white triangle, then you are going to be facing in the direction of the drone, and the drone is also going to be pointing away from you. So to get it back to you, you'd actually need the red kite to be pointing directly 180 degrees away from the triangle and then give forward stick. That would bring the drone back to you.

JORGE SM

Reaction score
The small white triangle is showing you the way that you are facing. If you have the drone's 'kite' symbol pointing 'up' at the small white triangle, then you are going to be facing in the direction of the drone, and the drone is also going to be pointing away from you. So to get it back to you, you'd actually need the red kite to be pointing directly 180 degrees away from the triangle and then give forward stick. That would bring the drone back to you.

That is what I was referring to. First it locates it and then it is correct that by turning it 180 degrees we will have it in direct line with the nose towards us.

regards

RealAirCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
That is what I was referring to. First it locates it and then it is correct that by turning it 180 degrees we will have it in direct line with the nose towards us.

regards
Tested equipment today. Compass function only works on iPhone and not of my iPad. Any information on this issue? Thanks

All E RC Mavic Drones

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmetcH13