DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Aircraft

RAC DJI

Reactions
Hi, today I lost my Mavic 3 Pro in a steep ravine (unrecoverable location). Aircraft firmware and DJI Fly App updated a couple of days ago. Have a new DJI battery with about 2 cycles on it. Flight started as usual, preflight inspection of the aircraft, checked the RTH setting. Used the auto takeoff feature, brought the aircraft up to seven meters and hovered for a few seconds and began my flight. Raised up to 60 meters or so and flew to the river I wanted to photograph and turned up River and flew about 300 meters. Stopped to take a photo. While I was setting up to take a photo all hell broke loose. Drone started spinning out of control and crashed to the ground or most likely a tree on the way down. Before I open a DJI care refresh claim I would like an opinion of what the cause was. Attached are the flight log and the dat file from the flight. Thanks in advance for you expert analysis.

Can’t upload the dat file. Is it necessary or is there another way to upload it.

Follow the instructions from this site and post a link back here for the knowledgeable pilots to determine what happened on that flight.

Good luck. 👍

Reactions: RodPad
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Mavic 3. I hope you get it all sorted out soon so you can be up and flying again and creating more awesome light paintings.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Kinda looks like a prop exploded or came off. Not sure though.
There are a few members on here who are experts at reading the flight log. Likely one of them will be along to figure this out.

I have Care Refresh too on my Mavic 3 Pro and Mini 3 Pro. Just renewed both for another year.

Chris

Drone started spinning out of control and crashed to the ground or most likely a tree on the way down
That's consistent with the messages in your flight log.

"Motor idle. Check whether propellers are installed (Code: 30166).; Propeller fell off."

Hi, today I lost my Mavic 3 Pro in a steep ravine (unrecoverable location). Aircraft firmware and DJI Fly App updated a couple of days ago. Have a new DJI battery with about 2 cycles on it. Flight started as usual, preflight inspection of the aircraft, checked the RTH setting. Used the auto takeoff feature, brought the aircraft up to seven meters and hovered for a few seconds and began my flight. Raised up to 60 meters or so and flew to the river I wanted to photograph and turned up River and flew about 300 meters. Stopped to take a photo. While I was setting up to take a photo all hell broke loose. Drone started spinning out of control and crashed to the ground or most likely a tree on the way down. Before I open a DJI care refresh claim I would like an opinion of what the cause was. Attached are the flight log and the dat file from the flight. Thanks in advance for you expert analysis.

Can’t upload the dat file. Is it necessary or is there another way to upload it.
Your data shows a normal flight, 280 feet above the ground below and well above any trees or terrain with nothing abnormal until 3:19.9.
At that time, the drone kicked its nose up, rolled hard to the left and started rapidly spinning clockwise and losing height.
This indicates a loss of thrust from the rear left which would have been caused by losing a propeller.

If you've ever had a prop contact a solid obstacle, that can fracture prop lugs that might still be OK for flying, until one day they can let go suddenly.
i-tBFsJBB-S.jpg

A manufacturing defect could be another cause for a prop coming adrift.

Reactions: MS Coast and RodPad
Your data shows a normal flight, 280 feet above the ground below and well above any trees or terrain with nothing abnormal until 3:19.9.
At that time, the drone kicked its nose up, rolled hard to the left and started rapidly spinning clockwise and losing height.
This indicates a loss of thrust from the rear left which would have been caused by losing a propeller.

If you've ever had a prop contact a solid obstacle, that can fracture prop lugs that might still be OK for flying, until one day they can let go suddenly.
i-tBFsJBB-S.jpg

A manufacturing defect could be another cause for a prop coming adrift.
@Meta4

If this is the case, would the DAT of the corresponding flight reflect something? E.g. sudden increase or decrease in one of the motor speed?

Reactions: KB9Radio
If this is the case, would the DAT of the corresponding flight reflect something?
The DAT fight log would show the individual motor speeds. However, I'm not sure that will be needed in this case since your flight log clearly states a prop was lost and the aircraft reacted as if it had lost a prop.

The only question is why the prop was lost. In most cases, it occurs when using damaged props or non-DJI props.

The DAT fight log would show the individual motor speeds. However, I'm not sure that will be needed in this case since your flight log clearly states a prop was lost and the aircraft reacted as if it had lost a prop.

The only question is why the prop was lost. In most cases, it occurs when using damaged props or non-DJI props.
Thank you.

I was not the OP but just interested in the ESC and motor reaction of DJI drone in this situation.

...just interested in the ESC and motor reaction of DJI drone in this situation.
When the reason for loss of thrust in one corner is due to a prop failure the motor data in the DAT log usually shows that the FC suddenly command that corner to 100% RPM + the motor RPM goes to max + the motors amp draw decreases drastically (due to that there isn't any prop that can create drag anymore)... when this FC action doesn't correct the uncommanded attitude change, the other corners very soon gets FC commands to lower the motor RPM instead.

If the loss of thrust instead is due to a stuck motor... the FC suddenly command that corner to 100% RPM + the motor RPM doesn't change + the motors amp draw increases drastically.

Thanks everyone for the analysis. As with every flight I always check the propellers for damage and spread them out before staring the motors. The propellers were OEM that came with the drone. It’s very obvious that a prop separated from the drone I just wanted confirmation from the expert's that there was not other factors involved. I’ll start a Care Refresh claim today.
Thanks again
Russ

As with every flight I always check the propellers for damage and spread them out before staring the motors
What's most important is checking the integrity of the prop hub (as shown in @Meta4's photo above). Once that has been compromised, no amount of carefully spreading the props or checking for nicks in the blades is going to help.

What's most important is checking the integrity of the prop hub (as shown in @Meta4's photo above). Once that has been compromised, no amount of carefully spreading the props or checking for nicks in the blades is going to help.
I am quite positive that there was no visible damage to the props or the joints shown in the photo. The drone has never been crashed or had a rough landing. It’s stored in a Pelican style fitted hard case. I’ll start the CR file as see what DJI says.

Thanks for your input

I am quite positive that there was no visible damage to the props or the joints shown in the photo
Yep, that one is common too. It's sometimes quite tough to see any visible damage (like small cracks) in the prop hub area.

One thing is certain. Either the prop itself or the area of the motor where the prop attaches was damaged pre-flight or somehow became damaged after taking off.

And then I suppose one other possibility is that you didn't attach the prop properly. But, I'm thinking that one can be ruled out since the issue did not occur at/near the time of takeoff.

Make sure you understand your Care Refresh contract details. I suspect that this would be treated as a flyaway since you don't have drone to return.

Your message is very well articulated.
Keen to follow this thread.
Good luck..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wforakerjr