DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

lost control of drone for around a minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatguy13

Reactions
i was flying back towards takeoff point,when lost control of drone for around a minute...at first i thought i had hit a bird.or lost a prop or something...then when the front leg came into view,i thought one of the front legs had come loose... it gave 'gimbal roll reached movement limit' followed by 'gimbal motor overloaded,check if the gimbal clamp is mounted off' around 30 seconds later..the drone was fine once i got it back on the ground.it starts around 10 seconds in..

Scary stuff,,that's something the phantom 4s were good at,,and myself has experienced in the past.unsure what would cause that in the mavic series though,some I've seen go limp and float around only to land and be ok for next flight

Reactions: Thatguy13
i was flying back towards takeoff point,when lost control of drone for around a minute...
How sure are you that you lost control of the drone or that it nearly crashed?
Did something happen to make you think that?
then when the front leg came into view,i thought one of the front legs had come loose... it gave 'gimbal roll reached movement limit' followed by 'gimbal motor overloaded,check if the gimbal clamp is mounted off'
It could just be a gimbal glitch rather than a bigger problem.
If you post the recorded flight data, that will show if there was any loss of control or stability.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or just post the .txt file here

Last edited:
How sure are you that you lost control of the drone or that it nearly crashed?
Did something happen to make you think that?

It could just be a gimbal glitch rather than a bigger problem.
If you post the recorded flight data, that will show if there was any loss of control or stability.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
'How sure are you that you lost control of the drone or that it nearly crashed?
Did something happen to make you think that?'...what a stupid question...i was flying it...i would have a pretty good idea if i have lost control of it.i had to lower it slowly so if it flipped,it wouldn't fall so far.at one point,i even had to reverse towards the river.my main priority was to get it back on my side of the river,in case it crashed.

Scary stuff,,that's something the phantom 4s were good at,,and myself has experienced in the past.unsure what would cause that in the mavic series though,some I've seen go limp and float around only to land and be ok for next flight
yea i'm going to recalibrate everything before i put it up again..

yea i'm going to recalibrate everything before i put it up again..
There's probably nothing at all that needs recalibration, and it's unlikely that recalibrating things would make any difference.
The first thing to do is to find out what actually happened and so that it can be addressed appropriately.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Did something happen to make you think that?'...what a stupid question...i was flying it...i would have a pretty good idea if i have lost control of it.i had to lower it slowly so if it flipped,it wouldn't fall so far.at one point,i even had to reverse towards the river.my main priority was to get it back on my side of the river,in case it crashed.
Could you see the Mavic struggling in the air? Or were you just seeing the events unfold on the screen?

The video makes it look like you had pretty good control of the flight throughout but that the gimbal was going crazy.

Please post the logs for us..... Its always a great help in finding out what went wrong.

Did something happen to make you think that?'...what a stupid question...i was flying it...i would have a pretty good idea if i have lost control of it
No .. it's not a stupid question at all.
You came here asking for help and only supplied the video with no details of what you observed.
To help, I'd need as much information as possible.

.i had to lower it slowly so if it flipped,it wouldn't fall so far.at one point,i even had to reverse towards the river.my main priority was to get it back on my side of the river,in case it crashed.
Did you see the drone in flight to know what it was doing?
Are you able to give and details?
And the flight data, which is the most important thing.

No .. it's not a stupid question at all.
You came here asking for help and only supplied the video with no details of what you observed.
To help, I'd need as much information as possible.

Did you see the drone in flight to know what it was doing?
Are you able to give and details?
And the flight data, which is the most important thing.
im unsure of how to upload the flight record,so i tweeted it,and heres the link

Your tweet is not the flight record. See Metas post on how to do it.
Phantom 4's had a habit of flipping the camera to vertical when flying sideways into strong winds. This looks kinda like that. The drone is flying fine, the gimbal is overloaded, as it told you in the warnings you posted. Any idea what the wind speed was at your flight altitude?
Post your flight record.
And if there is one person you should not insult on this board with your "what a stupid question", its Meta4, kinda the guru around here. I am surprised at what a calm response he had, still trying to help you. Many people would have told you to kick rocks.

@thatguy13 you were also asked for the flight logs over in your thread on the DJI forum mavic 2 near crash . There seems to have been some fairly violent tilting of the drone early on, the front legs come into view and are fairly tilted. Were you issuing commands that could have caused that, or was there something in the air near your drone.
The trees look to be too still for it to have been an rogue gust.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
@thatguy13 you were also asked for the flight logs over in your thread on the DJI forum mavic 2 near crash . There seems to have been some fairly violent tilting of the drone early on, the front legs come into view and are fairly tilted. Were you issuing commands that could have caused that, or was there something in the air near your drone.
The trees look to be too still for it to have been an rogue gust.
it wasn't windy at all.the instructions on how to upload my flight record make no sense,as for some reason,you can only get itunes on windows,and i am using an ipad.the instructions are telling me to use itunes to access the flight record.if you look at around 50 seconds in,the dronew is anything but stable.i was only inputting downward movements in an effort to get it as close to the ground as quick as i could.as for your friend 'meta',he disagreed with me in an earlier post regarding the mavic 2 pros stability in high winds as opposed to the air2s.he insisted that the air2s is more stable,despite being wrong...as shown in this graph..theres nothing worse than somebody in a group who thinks their opinion is more valid than everyone elses...

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot 2022.03.09 - 12.14.10.35.jxr.jpg
    Desktop Screenshot 2022.03.09 - 12.14.10.35.jxr.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 15
the instructions on how to upload my flight record make no sense,as for some reason,you can only get itunes on windows,and i am using an ipad.the instructions are telling me to use itunes to access the flight record.
I don't use Apple devices so I can't help, but somehow all the other ipad users manage to supply flight data when they need to.
Perhaps another Apple user could help.
if you look at around 50 seconds in,the drone is anything but stable.
At around 50 sec, what I see is a camera that's unstable.
But I don't see anything about what the drone was doing and the flight data is needed for that.
I suspect that there was nothing at all wrong with the drone's flight and that there was never a loss of control or near crash.
But I'd need to see the flight data to confirm that was the case.

as for your friend 'meta',he disagreed with me in an earlier post regarding the mavic 2 pros stability in high winds as opposed to the air2s.he insisted that the air2s is more stable,despite being wrong...
As for Meta4 ... he didn't say what you think he did.
He's been flying for 8 years and analysing flight data from incidents since 2015.
He actually understands a lot more than you do about DJI drone flying.
as shown in this graph..theres nothing worse than somebody in a group who thinks their opinion is more valid than everyone elses...
From some of your previous posts, it seems that you are the one that thinks your opinion is more valid than some others.
I prefer to stick to facts, preferably things that can be verified by actual data, rather than opinions.

I asked some important questions about your incident back in post #8, but still haven't seen any answers.
If you post your flight data, I suspect we can get to what actually happened in your incident, rather than an unfounded opinion and some guessing.

Last edited:
With regards to retrieving the logs then perhaps you could read Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

I am no IOS fan but following the instructions given on either or perhaps both the Phantomhelp page and or the above link I have retrieved logs from an iPhone, copying them to both a Windows laptop and a Macbook.
I have also copied logs from an Android phone to a Macbook but some sort of program is required.
If the device you are attempting to download the log to is the iPad you mention then, sorry cant help but I would guess it is feasible. I do not remember seeing posts saying it can not be done.

People find and upload their flight logs every day, no problems normally, even totally new pilots.
Section 3 of the Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide couldn't make it any easier.
I've never had to do this, but using your normal file type structure it should be possible to connect the ipad to any desktop and it should show up as an external drive, with sub files etc.
You might even be able to extract it from a file browser in the iPad.

I don't use Apple devices so I can't help, but somehow all the other ipad users manage to supply flight data when they need to.
Perhaps another Apple user could help.

At around 50 sec, what I see is a camera that's unstable.
But I don't see anything about what the drone was doing and the flight data is needed for that.
I suspect that there was nothing at all wrong with the drone's flight and that there was never a loss of control or near crash.
But I'd need to see the flight data to confirm that was the case.

As for Meta4 ... he didn't say what you think he did.
He's been flying for 8 years and analysing flight data from incidents since 2015.
He actually understands a lot more than you do about DJI drone flying.

From some of your previous posts, it seems that you are the one that thinks your opinion is more valid than some others.
I prefer to stick to facts, preferably things that can be verified by actual data, rather than opinions.

I asked some important questions about your incident back in post #8, but still haven't seen any answers.
If you post your flight data, I suspect we can get to what actually happened in your incident, rather than an unfounded opinion and some guessing.
'
I prefer to stick to facts, preferably things that can be verified by actual data, rather than opinions.'..like the graph of 'facts' that i posted backing up my arguement?if i have no luck with uploading this flight record,i might just play it back on my ipad,and screen capture it?

People find and upload their flight logs every day, no problems normally, even totally new pilots.
Section 3 of the Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide couldn't make it any easier.
I've never had to do this, but using your normal file type structure it should be possible to connect the ipad to any desktop and it should show up as an external drive, with sub files etc.
You might even be able to extract it from a file browser in the iPad.
i'm so used to using windows,and ios is backward asf...i plugged the ipad into my windows desktop,and got as far as selecting the 'flight logs' folder,but couldn't get any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin