DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost control with switch to sport mode

AZNewbie

Reactions
I was flying today off Point Loma in San Diego (yes, my flight was legal), and decided to switch to sport mode to get it back more quickly. At that point, I got the dreaded “Aircraft is disconnected” notice. I tried switching back to regular mode, and no luck. Funny thing, the controller (not the DJI app) still showed my elevation and distance, but not all the info. The MP was out over the water, no more than 1000 feet away. Thankfully, it returned to home on auto without incident. Just wondering what I did, how it happened, and how I can prevent it.

It sounds as if the aircraft was likely still connected to the remote controller but your smart device lost connection to the rc.

I would try using a different usb cable. Also, if this happens in the future, unplugging and reinserting the usb plug mid-flight will often fix the issue.

I train firefighters to fly Dji drones and one thing I do to every new pilot is unplug their iPad when mavic is 1,000 feet away and make them fly home without looking at the sky. Obviously we utilize visual observers for safety.

It’s something everyone should practice.

It sounds as if the aircraft was likely still connected to the remote controller but your smart device lost connection to the rc.

I would try using a different usb cable. Also, if this happens in the future, unplugging and reinserting the usb plug mid-flight will often fix the issue.

I train firefighters to fly Dji drones and one thing I do to every new pilot is unplug their iPad when mavic is 1,000 feet away and make them fly home without looking at the sky. Obviously we utilize visual observers for safety.

It’s something everyone should practice.
Thanks. I did unplug and re-plug the iPhone cable, the original one, with no effect. I was able to control the aircraft with my joysticks when it got within range, so I think you are correct in your assessment. It was pretty disconcerting, though.

I was flying today off Point Loma in San Diego (yes, my flight was legal), and decided to switch to sport mode to get it back more quickly. At that point, I got the dreaded “Aircraft is disconnected” notice. I tried switching back to regular mode, and no luck. Funny thing, the controller (not the DJI app) still showed my elevation and distance, but not all the info. The MP was out over the water, no more than 1000 feet away. Thankfully, it returned to home on auto without incident. Just wondering what I did, how it happened, and how I can prevent it.
Point Loma seems like a dream place to video the surf. I love it there. How were the winds?

I was able to catch a surfer for a short time using active track. See “Droning in Arizona with Steve Burns” on YouTube for my vids if you want. I’m on a slow WiFi so that particular video may not be up yet. Winds were stiff but very manageable. I got one warning about high winds that immediately dropped off the screen. It was fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143