DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost controls momentarily twice; anybody else?

ThatCiceroGuy

Reactions
Hello everybody!

I took my Mavic Air out for its first flight today in a forest preserve. I’m an experienced P4P Part 107 flier but recently sold it to scale down to something smaller. I jumped on the Air when it was announced.

I’m using the controller with an iPhone 6s with the latest iOS and DJI Go 4 App.

Anyway, when I took it up, it just stopped ascending and responding to my controls for about 10 seconds (just hovered). It also lost the video feed. It was only 10 feet or so away from me. I couldn’t get video back but did get control back. Video came back after I landed, which was odd. I then changed to 5.8 GHz and after taking off, it seemed ok, lost control for a few seconds again (stopped and hovered, no response to controls) and then was fine. I flew it around for 5 minutes or so and it was fine.

It’s definitely not a P4P. I didn’t realize the video feed isn’t the Lightbridge that the P4P uses. I saw the post here about updating the firmware with DJI Assist so I’m going to try that tomorrow.

I calibrated the compass, controller, etc. All the normal stuff.

I really wanted to see what it could do today and film some of our 1 foot of snow which dumped on us in the Chicago area the past couple of days, but after this, I didn’t feel comfortable flying it.

Anybody else have this happen?

Last edited:
I have not had anything like this happen with mine so far. I did have a bit of initial fun getting everything to speak to each other but I think that might have been down to being a newbie more than anything else. Rock solid connection every time I've flown it so far though.

Reactions: ThatCiceroGuy
I have not had anything like this happen with mine so far. I did have a bit of initial fun getting everything to speak to each other but I think that might have been down to being a newbie more than anything else. Rock solid connection every time I've flown it so far though.

Thank you. Do you notice it breaks a little hard? When I ease up on the controls, as soon as I get back to the stop position, it seems like t abruptly stops like it sees something in front of it. The Phantom stops very smooth and kinda glides to a stop. This one seems to immediately pitch to a 45 degree angle or so very abruptly even after adjusting the brake threshold to low.

Thank you. Do you notice it breaks a little hard? When I ease up on the controls, as soon as I get back to the stop position, it seems like t abruptly stops like it sees something in front of it. The Phantom stops very smooth and kinda glides to a stop. This one seems to immediately pitch to a 45 degree angle or so very abruptly even after adjusting the brake threshold to low.

Yes, when you stop inputting commands it immediately tries to hold position. Haven't tried adjusting any of the controls too much yet to smooth it out since I'm kind of grateful for the urgency in it's stopping while I'm still learning to fly!

You have to provide much more info if you want help. Beginner mode? max altitude and range settings? What versions of firmware are you on? Just saying "latest" doesn't tell us anything.

Why did you re-calibrate everything? Did it ask you to?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d