DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Drone - Help Needed

Sparky_MTC

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to this and yesterday my Mavic Pro flew away

The drone was 7k ft away and while flying back to me just lost connection at around 3.5k ft.

I spent ages looking for it in the fields it was over but without any luck. The drone had full GPS but for some reason I have no flight log for this flight.

I'm currently on holiday in the U.K. And will only be around the area for a couple of days, once we head home I will have lost all chance of recovering it.

The only clue I have is a screen shot of the point it lost connection and I'm guessing now that the battery will be dead.

I was hoping someone could give me some pointers of somehow recovering the flight log to give me more of a chance to recover it before we go home.

Many thanks
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
New to this and/but flying 7000 feet away? I don't get it.
Sorry, I feel for your loss and frustration but I am truly amazed that people simply expect that everything will just work. People put way to much trust in these things. They are very far from fool proof.

The flight log on your app will only have data until it lost connection. For the full log you need to retrieve the bird itself. I would search down that line and start around the place it lost connection. What RTH altitude had you put in? What warnings did you get prior to losing connection (check the App, General settings-All warnings. Maybe it crashed into something tall like a tree or building during RTH?

Obviously well out of vlos and a relatively low altitude and trying that distance. It's hardly surprising something went wrong. I feel some what reluctant to help as I try really hard to stay within the law and guidance of the CAA as well as general common courtesy. With the hope that our hobby can be preserved and not get so tied up with red tape due to careless drone users.

That aside, if I am local to where you are I will help you look for it. Where about in the UK are you?

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to this and yesterday my Mavic Pro flew away

The drone was 7k ft away and while flying back to me just lost connection at around 3.5k ft.

I spent ages looking for it in the fields it was over but without any luck. The drone had full GPS but for some reason I have no flight log for this flight.

I'm currently on holiday in the U.K. And will only be around the area for a couple of days, once we head home I will have lost all chance of recovering it.

The only clue I have is a screen shot of the point it lost connection and I'm guessing now that the battery will be dead.

I was hoping someone could give me some pointers of somehow recovering the flight log to give me more of a chance to recover it before we go home.

Many thanks
Mark
Please upload your flight log by following the instructions found below..

DJI Flight Log Viewer

If you can let us know whereabouts in the UK this happened you might well find out some of us are happy to help out with the search...

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses, I take on board your comments but in my defence I hadn't intended to fly at such a distance.

Just to explain a little more, I was on a beach shooting footage of my daughter and her friends riding horses in the sea. When they left I sent the drone up high to around 390' and about 1000' in front of me (over the sea) to take some arial shots of the coast line. When the battery hit 30% I hit the RTH button to bring it back. This is where things went a bit wonky, even though I had updated the Home as 'me' several times prior, it seems the drone tried to fly back to where we were staying, a mile or so inland (this is where the drone had made its first flight of the day that morning) at this point I was distracted for a moment by someone on the beach before I realised how far away the drone was. When I realised, I hit pause, turned it around and started bringing it back to me on the beach, bit of panic but so far so good! All was going well but as the drone hit about 3500' away the controller complained of bad connection, shortly after that it said it wanted to land and I then completely lost connection. I previously bought the drone down to around 145' to try and improve the signal, obviously this didn't help. Even at this point I still had 11% battery so I can understand why it lost connection? There is nothing but farm land and some trees between the beach and our base, the trees are only 60-80' in height tops.

Just some more background, the drone had good GPS and I had calibrated the compass before leaving. The app settings were all pretty much standard so the return to home altitude would have been whatever it's set to out of the box. I kept the controller switched on all the way back home and if I went into the find my drone menu it just showed the drone was back at home (obviously it wasn't there when we arrived back)

This all took place at Holkham in North Norfolk, I am now back home in Hertfordshire but have the urge to go back and find the Mavic if I could get some more info from the flight logs. I had only owned it for less than a week prior to loosing it so had only had less than two hours flight time before loosing the drone. I also have the DJI care pack but not sure if this would be covered. I'll check the video in the link above and post what ever I can find but on looking at my logs in the app this flight just doesn't show up?

Cheers,
Mark

Reactions: Star Lord
Thank for your detailed response.

It's a little for for me to come and help the search. Leicester and on a bike. Good luck with the search tho.

From what I have read DJI refresh only covers you if you still have the drone. Some people have made claims under the warranty with fly aways based on the flight data. So hopefully you can get this and get some of the talented people on this forum to have a gander and they could shed some light on weather it was a fault or not.

All the best Mark

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honzax