DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Drone Not Sure Why

The flight data shows the left stick held hard down for the last 24 seconds of the flight.
If you didn't do that, the controller malfunctioned.

It's been "around the corner" for a long time and there's no indication that it's going to be released any time soon.
Yes which is why I'm definitely buying one or the other...Probably leaning M2P - thanks

So today I was flying on the Delaware River as I've done thousands of times. I lost signal as I've done a ton of times and when it finally came back the drone was landing over the water. There was no indication as to why it was landing. I had plenty of battery. There were no NFZ nearby etc etc. When I regained control after loss of signal I could not do anything, the drone was at 25 feet and landing and SPLASHDOWN.

I fly Litchi and here is my log file. Obviously with Litchi the details are not thorough like DJI Go App.

One thing Air Data shows is a compass thing before the loss. Not sure what that means. See image.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

View attachment 114010
Well I just figured out what happened. I knew there was NO WAY I was holding the stick down because I recall letting go of sticks and drone still descending so I just hooked my controller up to DJI GO ap and it's beeping like mad and the left stick is pinned in the down position. So this was equipment malfunction. I assume I have no recourse with DJI since I was using Litchi??? Attached is image and here is a link to a short video clip https://youtu.be/lNptd0KomTI

IMG_4504.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Thomas B and boblui
So this was equipment malfunction. I assume I have no recourse with DJI since I was using Litchi???
The incident had nothing to do with Litchi.
It's simply a matter of the hardware, not the app you were running.
That you were using Litchi would only be relevant if it could be shown that Litchi caused the problem (and it didn't).

The incident had nothing to do with Litchi.
It's simply a matter of the hardware, not the app you were running.
That you were using Litchi would only be relevant if it could be shown that Litchi caused the problem (and it didn't).
I’m talking about trying to get DJI to replace drone. Normally when you tell DJI you were using litchi game over.

I’m talking about trying to get DJI to replace drone. Normally when you tell DJI you were using litchi game over.
That's something that is mentioned in forums but it's not what the DJI warranty says.

Well I just figured out what happened. I knew there was NO WAY I was holding the stick down because I recall letting go of sticks and drone still descending so I just hooked my controller up to DJI GO ap and it's beeping like mad and the left stick is pinned in the down position. So this was equipment malfunction. I assume I have no recourse with DJI since I was using Litchi??? Attached is image and here is a link to a short video clip https://youtu.be/lNptd0KomTI

View attachment 114124
Worst case... they say “no” . Give it a try!

Reactions: bkushner
Well I heard back from DJI. After providing them with proof of the bad controller (it's stuck on down no matter what I do), my Litchi Log, my proof of purchase, my DJI Care Warranty number they have DECLINED to replace because I was not flying with DJIGO4 App....as suspected...

Sounds like DJI is using a third-party app as an excuse. DJI offers up the API so third-parties can build apps like Litchi and Dronelink. Does it say the warranty is void if a third-party application is used? Yes, and here is the exclusion with the important part highlighted.

5) Damage caused by using your DJI product together with a non-DJI product or third-party accessory/software that is not authorized by DJI.

Are they saying the damage was caused by the Litchi software? Can they show that in the logs? Or are they just saying you're out-of-luck since you used a third-party app.

It looks like you connected the drone to the normal DJI calibration tool? If so, it shows the hardware is messed up right? The controller hardware is messed up, and that resulted in the un-commanded - by you - descent.

Even if you hooked that controller up to a new drone, the controller - even using DJIGO4 app - would result in a drone crash.

I'd push a bit harder with DJI to see what happens. Can't hurt. I realize you no longer have the drone and normally that is a stipulation of the warranty, but I've seen them honor the warranty even when the drone can not be recovered; especially when the controller/signal to the drone is the cause.

Note: I'm a novice here and do not have a M2Pro, but was interested in this topic since I'm thinking at some point I would upgrade.

Are they saying the damage was caused by the Litchi software? Can they show that in the logs? Or are they just saying you're out-of-luck since you used a third-party app.
No .. they won't be suggesting that Litchi caused the incident.
But they only accept flight data from DJI sources and won't look at a Litchi data file.
If the wreckage was available, they could look at the internal data recorder.
If you are flying where a crash is likely to result in an unrecoverable drone, it's worth considering which app you use.

But they only accept flight data from DJI sources and won't look at a Litchi data file.

So by opening up the API so users can use other applications. DJI then has a built-in excuse for hardware failures - of drones that can not be recovered - using third-party apps.

I understand, but I'm not thrilled about that policy.

I certainly hope DJI replaces the controller, since that seems to be the source of the hardware failure and the OP still has it. It's useless to him now correct? Or does it just have to be recalibrated? If just recalibrated, I would not be comfortable using that controller in the future.

What I can’t understand is that even if the stick was faulty the RTH would have still brought the drone home

No .. they won't be suggesting that Litchi caused the incident.
If the wreckage was available, they could look at the internal data recorder.
If you are flying where a crash is likely to result in an unrecoverable drone, it's worth considering which app you use.
Correct. This is the issue...they won't look at my Litchi flight data..even though I sent video of stick issue.. First thing they ask for is synched flight data

So by opening up the API so users can use other applications. DJI then has a built-in excuse for hardware failures - of drones that can not be recovered - using third-party apps.

I understand, but I'm not thrilled about that policy.

I certainly hope DJI replaces the controller, since that seems to be the source of the hardware failure and the OP still has it. It's useless to him now correct? Or does it just have to be recalibrated? If just recalibrated, I would not be comfortable using that controller in the future.
It will not work. It is stuck in down even though stick is centered. I suspect they will fix controller

What I can’t understand is that even if the stick was faulty the RTH would have still brought the drone home
I initiated RTH when the drone was at 25 feet...it didn't come back.. Someone would have to see if holding down the stick and descending you can hit RTH?

If they fix the controller under warranty that's good. By fixing that under warranty, they are sort of admitting it can cause an issue ... just like the crash you had.

Sorry you had the crash and difficulties.

This may be for a different thread, but I'm curious if Litchi and Dronelink have all of the same log data stored/logged for access OFF the drone and in the controller or mobile device like the DJI software.

That's just the way it is.
And knowing this, it's the risk you take if you fly where recovery won't be possible.
If the flight was done with DJI Go4, DJI would have accepted the data from the app and the situation avoided.
This may be for a different thread, but I'm curious if Litchi and Dronelink have all of the same log data stored/logged for access OFF the drone and in the controller or mobile device like the DJI software.
Litchi records similar data, but not the same and it's horrible to read when you are analysing an incident.
Perhaps Dronelink does too but I have no experience with it to know.

I initiated RTH when the drone was at 25 feet...it didn't come back.. Someone would have to see if holding down the stick and descending you can hit RTH?
Joystick input In RTH will vary altitude, speed and yaw orientation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom