DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Drone Tip

GSteve

Reactions
Perhaps this is well-known among veteran drone pilots, but I just learned how helpful the video cache can be in locating a downed drone. I recently crashed my Mavic Pro and, after much searching, found it by sheer luck. All the while I was frustrated that there seemed to be no way to pinpoint where the drone may have landed (though I'm aware of 3rd party tracking add-ons). Returning home I discovered that the video cache that exists on your phone (or crystal sky monitor) allows the pilot to view the entire video of the flight WITHOUT the SD card in the drone. When I reviewed the footage, I could clearly see where the drone went down and, if I'd known that while in the field, I would have saved myself the better part of an hour and a lot of agita. Wanted to post this in the hope that it will help fellow pilots going forward...

Reactions: mereflyer
Perhaps this is well-known among veteran drone pilots, but I just learned how helpful the video cache can be in locating a downed drone.
The recorded flight data is even more useful and can pinpoint the drone to within a couple of metres if connection was not lost before the landing.
Video isn't always useful but a GPS location is.

In this case -- a farmers field - the video cache allowed me to see the last scenes before the crash which, if I had seen it before my search, would have greatly shrunk the search area. The map would not be helpful -- no landmarks - but GPS sounds like the ticket. Can you refer a website or resources on how one accesses GPS data from the cached flight logs? thanks.

Found the GPS coordinates in the upper left of the playback window of the flight. Punched the coordinates into Google Earth and - you were right! - almost the exact location of the drone in the context of the satellite image. Only difference is that the fields, and crops, appeared slightly different due to ongoing farm operations.

THANK YOU - GPS coordinates (and Google Earth) are an invaluable recovery tool!

There is also the find my drone feature of Go 4. It's worth a shot, especially if your quad is still powered up.

I haven't tried 'Find my Drone', but from memory (of reading the manuals and watching tutorials - many times to understand how the M2Z works) I seem to recall you can get the drone to make a sound if it still have power. The map in the app shows location of you and the drone also..
So glad you found it GSteve!!

I haven't tried 'Find my Drone', but from memory (of reading the manuals and watching tutorials - many times to understand how the M2Z works) I seem to recall you can get the drone to make a sound if it still have power. The map in the app shows location of you and the drone also..
So glad you found it GSteve!!

better practice using it. if you lose your drone and start to panic, then would not be the best time for a first visit.

A good addition to "Find my drone" and the GPS indeed

Does anyone know how to make Litchi store the flight video on the phone? Ever since I switched from DJI Go to Litchi, I have no video saved apart from on drone SD card.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143