DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Pro

why the avoidance system failed
Although OA is a blessing for many new pilots to keep them out of trouble it not wise to depend on it. It often fails due to bright sunlight for instance, or low light for that matter. Better is to plan and check the tallest objects on your flight area and set the RTH height accordingly. Be aware that the drone will take the shortest route to the home point in RTH, so any obstacle you would normally have flown around might become a problem in RTH.

Besides, there's a huge bonus when you switch OA sensors off altogether. You get your full power envelope and a few minutes extra battery time.

Wouldn't that be only the case if he flew it with GO4? He was in a Litchi mission. Not sure really. But the litchi flights aren't even recorded in GO4 logs, even if you keep GO in the background. But again, you might be right.
He could have gotten close with Litchi then he could make the lights flash and make it beep using Go 4 find my drone. You can also get camera feed and other information that might help. It is just another tool in your belt to find it.

He could have gotten close with Litchi then he could make the lights flash and make it beep using Go 4 find my drone. You can also get camera feed and other information that might help. It is just another tool in your belt to find it.
True. Didn't think of that. Very helpful as long as the battery still has power left and there's no loss of signal. But surely something to remember.

Just a quick update.

After reviewing the video footage it hit a tree 30mm above ground so the question now is why the avoidance system failed. I have it on and tested it many times and where it gets annoying when landing in my back garden so i know it was on and working.

Is there away of checking the logs to see if it was functioning

The tracker

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0761T7Z58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I suggest pluging a external battery into the barrel connector to add extra life
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you were in Sports mode, wouldn’t that have disabled the collision avoidance!

Yes exactly. Sports is high risk for more reasons than just speed - it also won’t stop you!

Same thing happens when flying at night, I heard... :(

Theres a reason the UK only allows line of sight and outside of that is illegal. It helps prevents out of control drones flying around randomly....

Reactions: Syco
Ok Guys i found it, at the GPS point last transmitted so that is where it dropped and hit the ground with no damage only one leg was broken slightly , it also endured last nights rain.
Blew it out with a air can and she is up flying again.

The puzzle is why did it just drop out the sky 320m from takeoff flying at max speed 30m up, there are some 10-15m trees where it landed with two wings folded in a bit so it must of hit something which i doubt or they got folded on the ground impact.

So i confirm in the Litchi app the last position posted on signal loss was within 1m of where it was lying and i used the app to follow and locate it, so all good. I am now going to fit a secondary gsm tracker to it with a 7 day battery its the size of a box of matches and weights 86g and you test it for its position.

Portugal here we come with a purpose now.

Wow ! glad you found it and it was OK ! Enjoy Portugal !!

Hi Guys

Well lets say i lost my mavic about two hours ago in Knaphill Woking Surrey UK i set a mission in Litchi to fly a local circuit with two way points and about 2 miles and 55% battery. It took off ok and after about 400m i got signal lost and a spot en route of that point, i have been to that point and found nothing after walking around in the bush for awhile , i did get a signal connected for about 30 seconds and battery was at 16% and i pushed the return to home button but got no beeps to say it was on its way but there was no video so i presume it had landed somewhere. I checked my settings and it says at 15% go home and at 10% land.

So my big question is how do i find it, i can walk the route i planned to see if it landed/crashed but if en route when i pushed the RTH button the first time it lost signal it could be anywhere heading home can someone advise something i can do and would the drone serial number be registered at DJI if someone found it and tried to find the owner or to try fly it themselves.

Gavin
So you were flying your Mavic on a 2 mile circuit which implies you could not see it from where you were controlling it, is that right?

So you were flying your Mavic on a 2 mile circuit which implies you could not see it from where you were controlling it, is that right?

Him and a gazillion other drone owners, yes.

The error of course was flying off on a two mile course with 55% battery, good for what, ten minutes? You'd need to be flying at around 15-18mph just to get round and arrive back with even the smallest bit of safety margin.

Last edited:
Knaphill itself lies just outside the Fairoaks ATZ which is 2NM radius centred on the airfield runway and the extended centre line of that runway 06/24 passes straight over Knaphill, it's a busy GA Airfield and because of it's proximity to Heathrow inbound and outbound VFR traffic must remain below 1500 feet so to fly a Drone without being able to see it for a distance of 2 miles near the approach path of that airfield is totally irresponsible. The UK CAA have a DRONE code which him and the others clearly ignore and now as a result of all the incidents here in the UK it's resulted in a load of regulations which could have been avoided if people followed the code . There is no way to be fully aware of what is going on around a Mavic unless it's in visual range and to fly it out of VLOS near an airfield is just unbelievably stupid..

I happen to agree with you but frankly it changes nothing. If you don't think that two thirds of all drones sold are being bought by chancers, duckers and divers who are happily driving a coach and horses through your noble aspirations then you're kidding yourself. That isn't to say we all need to behave the same way but we sure as hell aren't going to change the minds of those who seek to regulate the 'sport' or whatever you want to call it. Just a fact of life and bawling someone out for a thing like that frankly achieves nothing except to make you feel better. I'm just being realistic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143