DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost My 3 Pro in the River today...Log Provided

Assuming you have DJI Care, as you stated you do, this will be handled as a Fly Away, assuming you were also flying with the bound controller, which is absolutely required for Fly Away coverage.

This fits DJI's definition of a "Fly Away" under DJI Care. Basically, pilot error with no drone recovery from which to retrieve the .DAT black box files. The pilot error was your not personally and continuously monitoring the drone during the return flight, while the Cruise Control settings flew it into the river. Cruise Control locks all the current stick inputs, including any descent. Cruise Control was never intended to be used in an unmonitored state, unlike RTH.

If you have DJI Care and were flying with the bound remote, just go online and open a Fly Away claim under your DJI Care policy. After you pay the Mavic 3 Pro Fly Away deductible, you will be sent a new drone.

In the off chance you can recover the drone from the river, you won't have to have been flying with the bound RC, and you'll save $500 over a Fly Away claim. Just send in the drowned drone and pay the first of two possible normal crash replacement deductibles.

Otherwise, you are SOL, and have learned not to use Cruise Control for any unmonitored flight.

Hopefully, others may also have learned from your unfortunate mistake.
Yeah $739 for flyaway...I might just cut my losses at the lost drone. Sell the controller etc and buy the new Air 3 Almost $800 plus new battery I'm at $1000. Also believe I can get a refund on the warranty as it's only 2 months old.

One question, if this was a complete drone malfunction they'd still treat it as a flyaway because I don't have the drone?

Reactions: PeterPatrick
In the off chance you can recover the drone from the river, you won't have to have been flying with the bound RC, and you'll save $500 over a Fly Away claim. Just send in the drowned drone and pay the first of two possible normal crash replacement deductibles.

I assume they sink right? This is dead in the middle of the shipping channel which is around 40 feet or more deep.

Sorry about your loss.
A quick follow-up for Meta4. The manual is clear that CC follows the last control stick inputs and bkushner was flying in Sport mode. Had he been flying in Normal mode, is there a chance the OA sensors would have overridden the CC and kept the AC from flying into the water?

Short flight to photograph a ship, was on my way back. Set cruise control and was over 100 feet..then it descends, you can see the controller sticks not being touched. Standing there waiting for the return and hear the controller say ATTI MODE and I look at screen and the drone is dropping down fast right into the water. I reported this here a few months ago I had the bird start to drop altitude without touching the sticks but this drone hasn't done it until today. I've had tons of care warranties, never have used one for replacement or flyaway. How do I go about getting DJI to deal with this since I don't have the drone to send them? Here is my flight log. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

So sorry to hear these things.

I believe DJI has a flyaway program where they will give you a discount on a replacement. See "flyaway" below.

Dale
Miami
Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 10.17.29 AM.png

Sorry for your loss.

I don't know how DJi would act, I just read the data.
If you'd monitored the drone, you would have been able to cancel the descent.
But I've seen quite a few recent incidents where DJI gave warranty replacements for cases of obvious operator error.

I've not used CC so I'm not sure, but the data shows the descent you initiated was continued by CC after you took your hands off the sticks.
That was my thought, if he was in a decent and CC was in effect, it will continue that action and continue the decent.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yeah $739 for flyaway...I might just cut my losses at the lost drone. Sell the controller etc and buy the new Air 3 Almost $800 plus new battery I'm at $1000. Also believe I can get a refund on the warranty as it's only 2 months old.

One question, if this was a complete drone malfunction they'd still treat it as a flyaway because I don't have the drone?
Was the drone actually bound to (not just paired with) the controller with which you were flying, so that Fly Away coverage is even available?

It's hard to prove a complete drone malfunction without the .DAT files on the aircraft, although you might find a sympathetic decision maker. However, you can certainly try, using the same file you provided to us from the RC. I definitely wouldn’t tell them what you told us, about putting it into Cruise Control, and just walking away!

I assume they sink right? This is dead in the middle of the shipping channel which is around 40 feet or more deep
Yes, they do, and they also drift with the current as they descend, but, depending upon the visibility and access to scuba gear and a diver, sometimes it is worthwhile. You should be able to pinpoint the entry point into the water. I drowned one of my Mavic 2 Pros in the dark into the surf trying to film bioluminescence, and after verifying the location with some surfers who tried to grab it, realized there was nothing worthwhile to be gained, as it was unfortunately uninsured, and a certain total loss. Only the props and microSD card would have any value, so not worth returning at dawn with a mask and snorkel to search for it.

I've used CC a ton of times on the Mavic 3 and the Mavic 3 Pro. Never has ascent or descent continued when letting go of the sticks before. Just saying.
If you are ascending or descending while activating CC, it will be continued. CC takes all the stick input values, including ascent or descent, and locks them. If you have never had this issue before, you have been lucky, or you were actively monitoring and had room for the programmed change in elevation. Sport mode keeps the OA sensors from detecting the water. Use RTH if you want a truly autonomous return with OA. It my be slower, but it won't drown your drone!

Are you suggesting that the ascend and descend can not be implemented into the CC?
I'm saying that up until this event when I'm flying in CC and I hit the stick to go up or down the up or down action stops when I let go of the stick. Logically let's say CC is on and you want to rise 10 feet or lower 10 feet. How would you stop the ascent or descent if the CC just starting going one way or the other without touching sticks?

Was the drone actually bound to (not just paired with) the controller with which you were flying, so that Fly Away coverage is even available?

It's hard to prove a complete drone malfunction without the .DAT files on the aircraft, although you might find a sympathetic decision maker. However, you can certainly try, using the same file you provided to us from the RC. I definitely wouldn’t tell them what you told us, about putting it into Cruise Control, and just walking away!
Yes it's bound and I didn't WALK AWAY!!! I had controller in one hand and was packing up. Maybe the drone should warn that it's descending or getting close to the ground, PULL UP PULL UP..etc.

Last edited:
If you are ascending or descending while activating CC, it will be continued. CC takes all the stick input values, including ascent or descent, and locks them. If you have never had this issue before, you have been lucky, or you were actively monitoring and had room for the programmed change in elevation. Sport mode keeps the OA sensors from detecting the water. Use RTH if you want a truly autonomous return with OA. It my be slower, but it won't drown your drone!
OK so based on this tell me how you stop descent or ascent once you are in CC and you hit the stick to go up or down? Wat your saying is if I'm flying at 100 feet in CC and I want to drop 10 feet to 90 I can't as it will just keep descending until I do what turn off CC? So then in that situation I'm flying 100 feet CC I have to turn off CC, descent or ascent then turn CC back on?

DJI has responded to my inital fly away case I filed. Now they want a fly away report from my remote. Don't they have all my flight records already that are synced with their servers?

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
I'm not so sure that CC was started before the uncommanded descent began. Before 261.24 sec full negative throttle had caused the M3 to descend at 5.9 m/sec. At 261.24 secs the negative throttle was changed to neutral and the descent slowed slightly to 5 m/sec. But, it didn't slow any further, indicating the descent was uncommanded. It wasn't until 0.96 secs later that the M3 reported it was in CC.
1690296600198.png

Last edited:
Just paid for the flyaway...$739. At that price DJI Still makes money. Cost of a M3Pro to them is about $90 Thanks everyone for the feedback. You live and learn.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and AlanL
I'm not so sure that CC was started before the uncommanded descent began. Before 261.24 sec full negative throttle had caused the M3 to descend at 5.9 m/sec. At 261.24 secs the negative throttle was changed to neutral and the descent slowed slightly to 5 m/sec. But, it didn't slow any further, indicating the descent was uncommanded. It wasn't until 0.96 secs later that the M3 reported it was in CC.
View attachment 166370
Great diagram thanks!

See this video for visual proof that ascension or descension is included in Cruise Control

DJI Mavic 3 / CRUISE CONTROL Tutorial!
At 4:02

Reactions: PAW and BudWalker
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_