DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my Mavic pro 2. Should I get an used pro 2 vs upgrade to Mavic 3

z1zou

Reactions
Hi. I lost my Mavic pro 2 on a recent trip. I loved my drone but replacing it its almost more expensive that new. The few new ones I can see are 2k and above, the used ones go for more than 1k. I have the controller, 2 batteries. Do you recommend upgrading to Mavic 3 (~2800 usd with fly more combo) or spend another 1-1.5k on an used Mavic pro 2? It seems too expensive for an used drone. Thank you

Reactions: RemoteFlyte
Welcome aboard and sorry for your loss.

Unless you used adjustable aperture Air 2S would give pretty equal features to old Mavic 2 in more portable package.

And definitely wouldn't pay anything approaching Mavic 3 level prices from Mavic 2.
As far as drone itself is concerned Mavic 3 is overall pretty major upgrade.
Though DJI (dung)Fly and standard dumbmote are disappointments.

Reactions: RJCRNA
Exactly my thought! I usually take it during trips for getting pics and videos and I think the adjustable aperture is important to keep pictures with good and in low light. I will take a look at the air2s. I haven't felt the new control but I liked the old control vs the new one. Thanks for your advice! I am still in awe that used Mavic pro 2 are above 1.2-1.5k

If you want to use waypoints I'd stick with the M2P because all newer DJI drones are virtual sticks and it will be jerky and not be as smooth (pretty well unusable) and if you lose signal it will not continue/finish the mission.

Reactions: jimlips and zeusfl
If you want to use waypoints I'd stick with the M2P because all newer DJI drones are virtual sticks and it will be jerky and not be as smooth (pretty well unusable) and if you lose signal it will not continue/finish the mission.
DansTube found the fix for jerky waypoints.

• Wow
Reactions: Tufargon
Hi. I lost my Mavic pro 2 on a recent trip. I loved my drone but replacing it its almost more expensive that new. The few new ones I can see are 2k and above, the used ones go for more than 1k. I have the controller, 2 batteries. Do you recommend upgrading to Mavic 3 (~2800 usd with fly more combo) or spend another 1-1.5k on an used Mavic pro 2? It seems too expensive for an used drone. Thank you
It all depends on what you really prefer. You can find a used M2P on eBay or buy a new Air2S Fly More with smart controller for $300 off ($1,499).

I bought my M2P in 2019 and still think it's a great drone. I choose it because of the adjustable aperture. Depending on what you use it for, you might also try the Mini 3 Pro.

It all depends on what you really prefer. You can find a used M2P on eBay or buy a new Air2S Fly More with smart controller for $300 off ($1,499).

I bought my M2P in 2019 and still think it's a great drone. I choose it because of the adjustable aperture. Depending on what you use it for, you might also try the Mini 3 Pro.
I wanted a new m2p but used ones are between 1100-1500 usd! Its insane! Or at least for me that an used drone costs almost the same as when it was new. My point is, a used m2p costs almost 60-75% of what a new m3 costs and don’t know if its worth it.

I guess you would have to determine the actual value to you. I know that my M2P is getting old, and the batteries are just starting to swell. Its picture quality, in my opinion, is unsurpassed in its price range. I easily passed on the M3P, because I'm satisfied with what I have. The M2P is still very valuable to me. Others might argue that the Air2S is better. I disagree, simply because of the ability to adjust the aperture. I like choices. Those kinds of things can make a big difference in the types of shots you can get. I wish you luck with whatever you decide.

I guess you would have to determine the actual value to you. I know that my M2P is getting old, and the batteries are just starting to swell. Its picture quality, in my opinion, is unsurpassed in its price range. I easily passed on the M3P, because I'm satisfied with what I have. The M2P is still very valuable to me. Others might argue that the Air2S is better. I disagree, simply because of the ability to adjust the aperture. I like choices. Those kinds of things can make a big difference in the types of shots you can get. I wish you luck with whatever you decide.
what controller is better just for me to know, the basic rc-n1 or the one that comes with the Mavic 2 pro? thank you

what controller is better just for me to know, the basic rc-n1 or the one that comes with the Mavic 2 pro? thank you
The controller that comes with the M2P is for it alone. The RC-n1 is for the Mini2, Mini3, and Air2S, so it depends on which drone you want to use. I'm considering buying the Mini 3 Pro, so I wouldn't need to purchase a kit with another controller since I already own a Mini2 and already have an RC-ni.

The controller that comes with the M2P is for it alone. The RC-n1 is for the Mini2, Mini3, and Air2S, so it depends on which drone you want to use. I'm considering buying the Mini 3 Pro, so I wouldn't need to purchase a kit with another controller since I already own a Mini2 and already have an RC-ni.
I came across this while looking around tonight. I cannot vouch for the seller, but the price is good.

The Mavic 2 controller is a big advance on the entry-level controller they provide with the Mavic 3.
The same goes for the app that the M2 uses vs the entry-level app they lumped the M3 with.

If you already have batteries and a charger for the M2, that's a saving over buying more for a different drone and having two chargers is always handy.

Exactly my thought! I usually take it during trips for getting pics and videos and I think the adjustable aperture is important to keep pictures with good and in low light. I will take a look at the air2s. I haven't felt the new control but I liked the old control vs the new one. Thanks for your advice! I am still in awe that used Mavic pro 2 are above 1.2-1.5k
For still photography adjustable aperture doesn't do much with M2P's max aperture being same for same low light shooting capability.
In good light shutter speed is just increased.
Only time that would be problem is if you wanted still photo of say flowing water to look motion smoothed.
(usually you want fast enough shutter speed to freeze motion in still photos)

And normal drone landscape photography isn't type where you want to stop lens down to increase depth of field. (area in focus range)

But in video shooting adjustable aperture is often important, because it allows avoiding need to increase shutter to keep correct exposure.
And keeping shutter speed slow enough per framerate allows avoiding jerky look of movement by motion blur.
(blur which I myself consider usually as BS for covering inadequate stone age frame rates)
Though if you take only landscape videos from significant distance/height that shouldn't be issue.

As for dumbmote of Air 2S/Mavic 3 it has two good things:
  • Far superior battery life to old stock remote.
  • And far more easy to use and more flexible phone holder, which can hold moderate size phone even with slimmer side protecting case. (have Galaxy S8)
As downsides
  • That new phone position makes remote unbalanced toward front once you add phone. (vs perfect balance of old)
  • You don't have even basic telemetry display, which can be gotten in RCs of some cheap couple hundred costing DJI clones!
  • Many buttons and one dial less.
  • All while increasing carrying bulk significantly.
Especially Mavic 3's standard remote should have come with mid size screen like in Autel Evo RC.

Welcome aboard and sorry for your loss.

Unless you used adjustable aperture Air 2S would give pretty equal features to old Mavic 2 in more portable package.

And definitely wouldn't pay anything approaching Mavic 3 level prices from Mavic 2.
As far as drone itself is concerned Mavic 3 is overall pretty major upgrade.
Though DJI (dung)Fly and standard dumbmote are disappointments.
I wouldn’t be without my Mavic 2 zoom, the ability to zoom in without having to fly there is priceless

If usable waypoint flight is important, then yes.

The Mavic 2P/Z were the last consumer DJI drones to support on-board waypoints.

The M3 and all models launched since the M2 have no waypoint support.

In 2022, I would not buy a new Occusync3 drone with the Smart Controller. If you are going that route, get the RC Pro, even if it costs more.
I bought the Tripltek 8 Pro to use with all of my drones. Love it. 1200 nits steady.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N