DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost My Mavic Zoom

I have flown directly to within 5 feet several times to a cell tower antenna without issue.
There are commercial phone tower inspectors that do that every day of the week without issue.
A mobile phone antenna array doesn't have a strong magnetic field to upset your compass.

If you want to see magnetic interference, fly close to a large steel object.
The simplest way is to descend towards a steel roof.
At perhaps 6 feet your drone will start wandering but by climbing away from the magnetic field, things go back to normal.

Block me. Simple as that. :)
No I will block you. Simple as that.
Guys no need in quoting this member in this thread now so
Don’t. Continue as you were.
Thank you.

Where were we? Oh compass errors & back on track trying figure out where Surens drone went??

Reactions: Suren
So i had a terrible end to my Birthday week. Went for a holiday to the Wild Coast Sun in KZN and had done some good flights for 2 days, yesterday afternoon I wanted to film my son fishing and sent the Zoom off, all was going well- I decided to video the river and the water park, noticed something in the river and went down for a closer look and the drone lost signal for a few seconds then i got it back and then it lost the connection again but this time it never reconnected, No Problem i decided to wait a few minutes as I have lost signal many times before and the drone always came back home. I must have waited for what felt like hours and no drone so i ran to the river and the drone was no where to be found. I searched around that area for hours and could not locate the drone walking around with the RC in hand hoping it would reconnect but nothing. In a fit of rage i threw my RC and phone on the rocks near the river mouth causing the RC to fall into the river and breaking my cellphone on the rocks. I checked the logs out and cannot for the life of me find anything that could have went wrong, no funny errors nothing, can someone look at this log - maybe i missed something here, not sure if DJI will even look at this loss given that I am in South Africa

Read thu all the posts, I really only have 1 question and that is the movement of the camera seemed to disconnect , was that you moving the camera around up and down like that, We see that behavior when the Camera goes under water , so I am thinking that the camera might have disconnected and the drone simply fell into the Radio active skeleton frame you were hovering over below. Might want to put a suit on and look again.

I also noticed the signal breaking a few times in the video which is why I am thinking camera disconnect only.

Unless some errors showed up in the data file < i think the drone was good to fly , which could explain why RTH never happened.

The more I read n watch the video, the more I think I may have problems with my Zoom also. On long distance runs, when i lose video and keep pushing, it finally disconnects and just sits in the air for about a minute or so, sometimes longer, then it will finally start the RTH. When I send those type of flights to Airdata, it has just the take off & part of to flight, then a 2nd flight generated for some of the return home to land, but a large section of flight when way out there doesnt show up. Its done the really long pause before RTH thing very often, and watching sd card video, its not doing a 60 second rewind Ive heard of(but never seen).
I never had this behavior in any of the 4 Mavic 1's I have. Im afraid Its going to one day just dissapear like His did. Anyone else see this in their Mavic 2's ???

The more I read n watch the video, the more I think I may have problems with my Zoom also. On long distance runs, when i lose video and keep pushing, it finally disconnects and just sits in the air for about a minute or so, sometimes longer, then it will finally start the RTH. When I send those type of flights to Airdata, it has just the take off & part of to flight, then a 2nd flight generated for some of the return home to land, but a large section of flight when way out there doesnt show up. Its done the really long pause before RTH thing very often, and watching sd card video, its not doing a 60 second rewind Ive heard of(but never seen).
I never had this behavior in any of the 4 Mavic 1's I have. Im afraid Its going to one day just dissapear like His did. Anyone else see this in their Mavic 2's ???
What you're describing doesn't sound abnormal.
You can sometimes get to a point where you lose the downlink before losing uplink.
In that situation, you still have control and RTH won't initiate until/unless you lose uplink.
Airdata doesn't properly show you what's going on.
Uploading your flight data to Phantomhelp would confirm what's actually happening.

Reactions: ff22 and Thomas B
Tommorow I will run it through Phantom viewer and see if it shows 1 long flight, or breaks it up to 2 like airdata did, Thanks.

Tommorow I will run it through Phantom viewer and see if it shows 1 long flight, or breaks it up to 2 like airdata did, Thanks.
If signal was lost and later recovered, it will show 2 records ... the same as Airdata did.

I wonder why this does that?? Mavic pro 1 would act similar at full range, then go to mode RTh pretty quickly, 10 or 20 seconds. But Airdata always showed the entire flight, as one flight, and show signal data for entire flight, as one flight

I wonder why this does that?? Mavic pro 1 would act similar at full range, then go to mode RTh pretty quickly, 10 or 20 seconds. But Airdata always showed the entire flight, as one flight.
If control signal is lost, it's going to show two flight records.
Looking at the flight data should show how much time is missing between the flight records.

Over 500 flights between 4 mavic 1's, half of them at as far is they woud go, longest 14900ft , kept pushing right stick forward until it reconnected while auto heading home, probably 200 flights just trying to go farther. Never once did it split the flight into 2, every single (over 500) flight showed full trace and signal all as 1 flight. Why is Mavic 2 zoom not

Over 500 flights between 4 mavic 1's, half of them at as far is they woud go, longest 14900ft , kept pushing right stick forward until it reconnected while auto heading home, probably 200 flights just trying to go farther. Never once did it split the flight into 2, every single (over 500) flight showed full trace and signal all as 1 flight. Why is Mavic 2 zoom not
To comment further, you'd have to look at flight data from both machines and compare to see what might be different.
But it's not at all unusual to see flight records broken due to lost signal - for older and newer Mavics.

Really?? I have never had a single one do that with Mav 1. Have others seen this too????

And ive only bested my Mav1 by about 300 feet with Mav 2. Very saturated with large trees, some as tall as 90 ish feet.

Sorry to clog up your post Suren, I will start a new thread pertaining to my broken flight logs.

No Issues, carry on, I am learning from reading these posts
I think @RayOZ may have jiggled my brain enough to remember I did have a few flights where DJI Go 4 crashed, and those are probably the answer to my broken flight logs, any chance your app crashed when your bird vanished??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredFulf