DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Signal Return to Home Initiated (Failure)

mrgolf30

Reactions
Hello everyone. I am just getting started. I was flying today over a tract of land with high power transmission lines approximately 800 feet away. I got a warning in the app mentioning something about possible interference, etc. I don't remember the exact wording. Long story short, I could sometimes get 3,000 feet away at 390 feet high with no problems, but at other times it would lose signal and try to return to home at 50 feet straight up. Every time I lost signal it would return to home except the last 2 times. Those times it said it was returning to home, but it immediately started trying to land.

The first time I was 900 feet away at a height of 350 feet. I noticed on my remote that it was rapidly going down and not moving toward home. I could press up and get it to gain altitude, but it was like at the same time someone was pressing down.

I got it back safely both times, but this has me worried. Do you think it was the electrical lines in the area causing the problem or is something else going on? I did update my home point each launch.

Reactions: Bill combs
Yes, it was the power lines. Don’t fly near them.

Yes, it was the power lines. Don’t fly near them.
Thank you. This is disappointing. There seem to be a lot of power lines here. I did another flight this afternoon in a different area that also had power lines. Same problem.

So I can attribute the signal loss AND the RTH trying to immediately land as power line interference? At the flight this afternoon it did not loss signal, but when I pressed RTH to test the system it also tried to land where it was.

This has me worried!

The power lines almost certainly had nothing to do the landing. They might have interfered with the signal connection (doubtful) or interfered with the compass if you were flying close to them.

The landing within 50 feet is expected and normal behaviour.

Landing further away also suggests you may have the RTH action set to “land” rather than “hover” or RTH.

So I can attribute the signal loss AND the RTH trying to immediately land as power line interference? At the flight this afternoon it did not loss signal, but when I pressed RTH to test the system it also tried to land where it was.

This has me worried!
It had nothing to do with the power lines. Power lines won't make your drone land and the suggestion that they could is misguided.
There are some possible explanations and rather than guessing without any information, the recorded flight data will show exactly what the issue was.

If you want to learn what the issue was go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

Hello everyone. I am just getting started. I was flying today over a tract of land with high power transmission lines approximately 800 feet away. I got a warning in the app mentioning something about possible interference, etc. I don't remember the exact wording. Long story short, I could sometimes get 3,000 feet away at 390 feet high with no problems, but at other times it would lose signal and try to return to home at 50 feet straight up. Every time I lost signal it would return to home except the last 2 times. Those times it said it was returning to home, but it immediately started trying to land.

The first time I was 900 feet away at a height of 350 feet. I noticed on my remote that it was rapidly going down and not moving toward home. I could press up and get it to gain altitude, but it was like at the same time someone was pressing down.

I got it back safely both times, but this has me worried. Do you think it was the electrical lines in the area causing the problem or is something else going on? I did update my home point each launch.
i’ve had many issues with all of my drones around power lines mpp,m2p,ph4p2.0, from loss of signal to return to home on their own.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crumple