DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Yaw control on MA2 with Smart Controller

I read somewhere that after a firmware upgrade the stick mode changed by itself from original settings. Perhaps check your stick mode in settings.

I read somewhere that after a firmware upgrade the stick mode changed by itself from original settings. Perhaps check your stick mode in settings.
The joystick mode doesn't change with updating and there is no joystick mode that prevents movement to either sode.

I can no longer control yaw with the right stick of my Smart Controller on my MA2. I have calibrated the Smart Controller, upgraded the firmware and compass and IMU. Any suggestions?
Here's your answer:

Reactions: Thomas B
I can no longer control yaw with the right stick of my Smart Controller on my MA2. I have calibrated the Smart Controller, upgraded the firmware and compass and IMU. Any suggestions?
With this reply I am presuming you the movement you want is either a "roll" to the left or right and NOT rotation of the aircraft (using Mode 2). [Sometimes "Yaw" is misunderstood so I'm using the definition from page 10 of the Smart Controller User Manual]

By chance... check these settings whilst the aircraft and RC are connected (both on).
Open the Fly App
Tap Go Fly
Tap the three dots " ... "
Under Safety, browse to the Flight Assistance section
If you have selected "ByPass" under the Obstacle Avoidance Action, look to the next choice...
"Disable Sideways Flight". If the toggle is on, the right stick (Mode 2) will not allow the aircraft to move left/right.

Just a possibility. Since there's no side sensors, this option helps if you're using obstacle avoidance, wanting to 'go around a barrier, and you know that you could hit something on either side.

BTW.. you won't see the Disable Sideways Flight topic if the "ByPass" isn't selected.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Well, I solved the problem. No thanks to DJI, who recommended sending in the Smart Controller. I had to update the software on my Mavic Air 2 via the DJI Assistant 2 app on my computer. Apparently the wifi update via the controller was insufficient to the task.

Well, I solved the problem. No thanks to DJI, who recommended sending in the Smart Controller. I had to update the software on my Mavic Air 2 via the DJI Assistant 2 app on my computer. Apparently the wifi update via the controller was insufficient to the task.
Great. And thanks for sharing that it has been resolved. Others -here- will benefit from the conversation.

Thank you to S2SEYECLE I experienced this problem and found the sideways flight toggle was disabled. This is a good lesson to me that it is a good idea to check the flight controls after takeoff before you proceed. I'm a novice and really appreciate the help.

I had this happen about 3 flights into my 'learning' experience and discovered that the disable side ways flight was toggled on. Thanks to s2eyecle for the help. I learned a good lesson to check the flight controls after you take off and before you proceed to more complex flight maneuvers

I had this happen about 3 flights into my 'learning' experience and discovered that the disable side ways flight was toggled on. Thanks to s2eyecle for the help. I learned a good lesson to check the flight controls after you take off and before you proceed to more complex flight maneuvers
You're quite welcome! Sometimes things just 'click' ! And good advice re-checking flight controls before takeoff.

Reactions: Tufargon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3