DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lots of signal interference

BiteSizeThumb

Reactions
Hey guys. I'm new to the drone world and just picked up my Mavic Air fly more combo. Everything has been updated and flying works great. I believe all my settings are in auto including the wireless signals.

I'm finding that when I fly around the 500-800m distance, the drone completely cuts signal around my area. I live in a suburb so I don't know if that plays a role. The MA seems to always set it's wireless signal at 2.4ghz. I'm not sure if that's the ideal for my location or not. I'm located in Canada.

Would it be more ideal for me to switch to the 5ghz frequency in a more congested city over the 2.4ghz?

Hey guys. I'm new to the drone world and just picked up my Mavic Air fly more combo. Everything has been updated and flying works great. I believe all my settings are in auto including the wireless signals.

I'm finding that when I fly around the 500-800m distance, the drone completely cuts signal around my area. I live in a suburb so I don't know if that plays a role. The MA seems to always set it's wireless signal at 2.4ghz. I'm not sure if that's the ideal for my location or not. I'm located in Canada.

Would it be more ideal for me to switch to the 5ghz frequency in a more congested city over the 2.4ghz?
Hey, I would say yes..set the 5.8 is a more suitable band for those locations. Just select a stable 5.8ghz channel.

I dont own a MA but I own a MP, and a Spark. My spark always select the 5.8 band automatically. 5.8 is a more stable band...but you will get shorter flight distance. The settings @ 5.8 will be better. Hope this helps.

Hey, I would say yes..set the 5.8 is a more suitable band for those locations. Just select a stable 5.8ghz channel.

I dont own a MA but I own a MP, and a Spark. My spark always select the 5.8 band automatically. 5.8 is a more stable band...but you will get shorter flight distance. The settings @ 5.8 will be better. Hope this helps.
I'm trying to understand the channel choices a bit better. Essentially I can't just switch from 2.4 to 5.8, but I have to actually select a channel that's listed on the graph. How would I know which one is which? Also, there are some that are red (indicating unstable) and some green which are stable. There are also channels that don't have any color/bar graph indication. What does that mean?

I'm trying to understand the channel choices a bit better. Essentially I can't just switch from 2.4 to 5.8, but I have to actually select a channel that's listed on the graph. How would I know which one is which? Also, there are some that are red (indicating unstable) and some green which are stable. There are also channels that don't have any color/bar graph indication. What does that mean?
I use an Android app called, "WiFi Analyzer", to diagnose my home network. One of its features is that it shows all WiFi networks in range -AND- the channels they are currently using. Just pick a channel either furthest from the local traffic, or just the least used.
ed949673f7d338a0c6172d6cddaa900a.jpg

Yes, you should just experiment with different settings. Try AUTO on both 2.4 and 5.8, but also try picking a channel manually. My guess is that you are probably just in an area with a lot of interference, so be prepared to either accept shorter distances or get a drone that doesn't use Wifi (though there's still no saying for sure you'll get a lot more distance). Radios are wildly sporadic at times... you may get better distance depending on a lot of factors, so experimentation is key. Just make sure to experiment in the safest way, ensuring you have battery life to get back, that there are no obstacles when losing connection, and that your RTH settings are appropriate.

Thanks guys. Just switched to the a different channel at 5.8ghz and was able to fly it a bit further (at least past 500m) without signal cutting. I didn't push to too far because there was really high winds today but will definitely have to test the limits come summer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet