DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Love the new drone but my neighbor doesn’t...

While I try not to label people with words like hysterical, that is precisely why when I talked to the lady stealing my packages i recorded myself from the second I left my house until the second I stepped back in. JUST IN CASE.

She had already called someone thinking they were my landlord saying things that had not happened, because an engineer I work with parked a little on the sidewalk in front of her house.

Try not to assume the worst about people, but definitely prepare for it.

Last edited:
Light does travel further at night and she sounds like the hysterical type anyway.

I would just avoid speaking with her because she sounds a little crazy anyway and could accuse you of anything and then retaliate for what's in her head since she might be insane.

Ummmm, do you follow the news at all, why do you think it was a "SHE"? AND, She is one of the hysterical types?You might die a lonely old man if you keep that crap up. Sounds like her husband posted on Faceboog to me.

Best practice is not to Socialize with crazy neighbors. I fly my MPP around my neighborhood all the time and there is absolutely no way they know it's up there unless I tell them. Why go looking for crazy, when it will come looking for you.
But.... you DO tell them sometimes... thats good. I told several of my neighbors I got a drone and described it to them. There is also some "Old Folks" and some assisted living condos all down one side of my road. I bring them vegetables and have walked into the grounds with my drone 12 feet in the air and ask if they wants some pictures from it. They do... THAT was A LOT of work...ha. A couple of them had passed on before I could give them a nice 8X12. I will keep those. Most of them were fascinated and I filled a couple of their days... made me feel good.

Ummmm, do you follow the news at all, why do you think it was a "SHE"? AND, She is one of the hysterical types?You might die a lonely old man if you keep that crap up. Sounds like her husband posted on Faceboog to me.
Thanks for your concern, but I'm comfortably retired in central Florida and married a beautiful eastern European lady last month after being together for 2 years.

We are, most recently, quite active in outdoor activities like kayaking, rappelling, shooting, flying our drone and taking out newly acquired underwater sea scooters out in addition to traveling with family and friends.

With that, I'm willing to guess my background as a Force-Protection and Counter-Terrorism Officer, certified by USCENTCOM in Qatar, and my many years of being embedded in other countries to identify and seek out hostile individuals MIGHT just make me a tad better qualified to form a theory on this than you.

I've been retired now for almost 6 years and am not even near 50 years old yet and don't even have a mortgage on my lake house, so I think I'm doing fine on that too...

Just what are your qualifications?

Got anything else you want to say about me?

Last edited:
Facebook is full of Nanny Police. Its a hotbed for anger and resentment. I dont partake. Just fly where you would like as long as you are not breaking any stated rules or recommendations. From what you relate you were not. Stand your ground politely. Dont give an inch though as to do so only reinforces that if anyone wants to just make a fuss for the sake of making a fuss then they can influence the behavior of all drone flyers. We all loose just a sliver of liberty when this happens.
Income taxes were started as a "temporary" measure to pay for reparations after the war. Everyone complied and guess what now we all pay income taxes on a regular basis.

Got anything else you want to say about me?[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your concern, but I'm comfortably retired in central Florida and married a beautiful eastern European lady last month after being together for 2 years.

We are, most recently, quite active in outdoor activities like kayaking, rappelling, shooting, flying our drone and taking out newly acquired underwater sea scooters out in addition to traveling with family and friends.

With that, I'm willing to guess my background as a Force-Protection and Counter-Terrorism Officer, certified by USCENTCOM in Qatar, and my many years of being embedded in other countries to identify and seek out hostile individuals MIGHT just make me a tad better qualified to form a theory on this than you.

I've been retired now for almost 6 years and am not even near 50 years old yet and don't even have a mortgage on my lake house, so I think I'm doing fine on that too...

Just what are your qualifications?

"Just what are your qualifications"?... I'm a human being?

So, with all that greatness you possess, you are a sexist? Did you read the OP's first post? The complaint clearly makes it known it's a man.

It's too bad that you didn't even get the joke, I was commenting on the times we are living in today, it was NEVER a personal attack.

Thanks for the autobiography though. Very interesting. Are you sure you aren't compromising yourself by exposing your sensitive background?

My neighbors have not minded my flying around the neighborhood. At least 24 hours before the flight, I post a notice to my neighborhood's Facebook page that basically lets them know I would like to fly in the neighborhood at a certain time. I then invite any questions or "requests" (e.g. bird's eye view of a public road). After the flight, I post a few pics and video.

So far, the neighbors comment with, "Thanks for letting us know!" or "Have fun!"

Excellent idea! We have a "neighborhood" website too! I have to check in with the little airport 4.75 miles away & I will tell my neighbors what I have done & when I will be flying. That way I'll have the airport's "blessing" & have notified my neighbors too. Why didn't I think of that... LOL!...

Reactions: Cheech Wizard

So, with all that greatness you possess, you are a sexist? Did you read the OP's first post? The complaint clearly makes it known it's a man.

It's too bad that you didn't even get the joke, I was commenting on the times we are living in today, it was NEVER a personal attack.

Thanks for the autobiography though. Very interesting. Are you sure you aren't compromising yourself by exposing your sensitive background?[/QUOTE]

I think this thing got dragged a bit too much. You are right, the original post did mention a man posting a Facebook post. But he is right too. It was the man's wife telling him about the drone flying.
Not taking anyone's side, just trying to clear out the tension ✌

Thanks for the autobiography though. Very interesting. Are you sure you aren't compromising yourself by exposing your sensitive background?

I think this thing got dragged a bit too much. You are right, the original post did mention a man posting a Facebook post. But he is right too. It was the man's wife telling him about the drone flying.
Not taking anyone's side, just trying to clear out the tension ✌[/QUOTE]

No worries, I don't play that game anymore. I just either PM them or hit the report button.

Reactions: katarian
So the mean neighbor will get his way - I don't think so - tell him "Welcome to the 21st century."

Yeah we are all adults presumably, go talk to the guy, bring your drone over and show his wife and she should corroborate the story(If it wasn't really his drone) with her husband. There may be another drone in the area.

How I solved the Bad Neighborhood people, I know this sounds corny, but I went and knocked on most of my neighbors doors and talk to them in front of their homes and was right up front. Told them I had the drone, I did not care about their homes, yards but did not want to sit just enjoy flying. Told them I cant get to the areas I want during the week do to work but i want to fly. They all said go for it. I shared my flights with them and they saw no threat. Hope you can use some of this. Props up guys..

How I solved the Bad Neighborhood people, I know this sounds corny, but I went and knocked on most of my neighbors doors and talk to them in front of their homes and was right up front. Told them I had the drone, I did not care about their homes, yards but did not want to sit just enjoy flying. Told them I cant get to the areas I want during the week do to work but i want to fly. They all said go for it. I shared my flights with them and they saw no threat. Hope you can use some of this. Props up guys..

Not corny at all, it's just being an adult making adult decisions talking to other adults.
Believe me... I'm no angel but this was my tactic also that I posted a few post ago. I now have probably 100 people that will back me up if I need them.

I told several of my neighbors I got a drone and described it to them. There is also some "Old Folks" and some assisted living condos all down one side of my road. I bring them vegetables and have walked into the grounds with my drone 12 feet in the air and ask if they wants some pictures from it. They do... THAT was A LOT of work...ha. A couple of them had passed on before I could give them a nice 8X12. I will keep those. Most of them were fascinated and I filled a couple of their days... made me feel good.

I gave my neighbors free roof and gutter inspections. They saw how close I had to fly in to get fine detail. It made them happy and educated them at the same time.

I gave my neighbors free roof and gutter inspections. They saw how close I had to fly in to get fine detail. It made them happy and educated them at the same time.

Yeah... make sure you don't get 2 propellers pushing off the roof, it will flip and fall... I broke a few props doing that once.

Show them some footage - more than likely they will think it's neat. Maybe even offer them to come out and fly it with you one day or offer them an aerial photo of their home (lots of people think that is cool). Offer them a roof inspection if applicable (one of the first things asked of me when I got a drone).

They will also see that for you to actually film anything going on in their bedroom with the lens on a M2P, you would have to pretty much have to be pressed up against their window (point this out to them along with an apology if they ever felt uncomfortable). They probably just associate drones with surveillance rather than hobbies - just go talk to them and that will likely change.

I find most people are much more reasonable in person than online or on Facebook.

If you learn they are not nice people, or just the type who get off on complaining and being a busybody, make sure you you follow the letter of the law going forward in case they escalate to make sure you're covered - I don't know what area you're in but that probably includes some stipulation for minimum distance from buildings/people.

If your unfortunate enough to experience an issue with the AC and end up causing injury or property damage you won’t be ok... there is a high level of assumed risk.

I know this is an older post but you raise a good point. I've wondered what would be the outcome should the drone fail and fall into a property and cause damage (or even worse seriously injure someone)? In Australia our civil aviation rules don't allow an unmanned aircraft to fly over people. Is that the case in other countries?

I know this is an older post but you raise a good point. I've wondered what would be the outcome should the drone fail and fall into a property and cause damage (or even worse seriously injure someone)? In Australia our civil aviation rules don't allow an unmanned aircraft to fly over people. Is that the case in other countries?
Some simple principals have almost universal application. Someone has to be responsible for any injury or loss. The drone operator may have some recourse against the manufacturer or perhaps even be indemnified by an employer if applicable but in the first instance they will be responsible (and left holding the bag in most cases). People need to be aware of what level of risk they might be prepared to accept knowing the potential consequences.

Reactions: noosaguy
Some simple principals have almost universal application. Someone has to be responsible for any injury or loss. The drone operator may have some recourse against the manufacturer or perhaps even be indemnified by an employer if applicable but in the first instance they will be responsible (and left holding the bag in most cases). People need to be aware of what level of risk they might be prepared to accept knowing the potential consequences.

I can't imagine what insurance might cost? o_O

Thanks for the autobiography though. Very interesting. Are you sure you aren't compromising yourself by exposing your sensitive background?[/QUOTE]

Just because the FB post says it's a dude, doesn't mean it was.

But, lots of dudes have become quite feminine, so... :)

Nope. I never divulge the operational stuff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom