DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low light settings

45er

Reactions
Tonight I flew over a field hoping to catch some pictures of deer and hogs coming out. There was plenty of light to see 300+ yards. I was about 100 feet up and the camera could barely see the sunset and when I panned down the the ground, it was totally blacked out. Should I set on manual and set the iso to 100? Would that lighten up the field of view? I just want to see - don't really care if I can take a picture or not! LOL

Tonight I flew over a field hoping to catch some pictures of deer and hogs coming out. There was plenty of light to see 300+ yards. I was about 100 feet up and the camera could barely see the sunset and when I panned down the the ground, it was totally blacked out. Should I set on manual and set the iso to 100? Would that lighten up the field of view? I just want to see - don't really care if I can take a picture or not! LOL

I know what you mean about the light. This photo I took near dusk was also a bit compromised. I'm in Texas south of I10 between Houston and San Antonio. Where are you? The hogs are horrible, very destructive. I thought a thermal camera might help at night to locate where they are prowling but only to direct my sons if they are hunting on foot or alert them if they're nearing a stand. I keep my camera on AUTO as I'm not that adept on settings for particular purposes. Hope someone else will chime in with suggestions on how to see better near dusk.

Attachments

• hogs.jpg
    hogs.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 39
There was plenty of light to see 300+ yards. I was about 100 feet up and the camera could barely see the sunset and when I panned down the the ground, it was totally blacked out. Should I set on manual and set the iso to 100? Would that lighten up the field of view? I just want to see - don't really care if I can take a picture or not! LOL
Are you talking about a situation where part of the screen is a very bright setting sun and the lower part is a dark foreground?
If so, the problem is the camera can't expose for both a very dark foreground and a very bright sun/sky.
Changing the ISO setting or using manual won't make any difference.
You would have to choose which you want to expose for or tilt the camera up or down to compose with all or most of the scene either bright or dark but not 50/50.
Or turn the drone around and shoot with the sun lighting the whole scene rather than fighting it.

Also, when pointed down to the darker area, touch the screen to focus in that area and often it will lighten up, if you have the brighter horizon out of the photo.

You do not state what you are flying but with my MP I simply roll the RC right wheel to change the ISO until I can see what I want.
1539360837287.png

Gents (or ladies if that's the case!). I have rolled the right dial and touched the screen to focus. No luck. The camera is pointing straight down. I can see it 300 yards off and see the landscape farther than that so it is not "dark" per se. When I'm in the situation I just described, I have an almost black screen.

...Should I set on manual and set the iso to 100? Would that lighten up the field of view? I just want to see - don't really care if I can take a picture or not! LOL
Normally, bright daylight is needed for an ISO setting of 100. The darker the situation, the higher ISO is needed to compensate but the picture quality will suffer. Make sure you are in Auto mode if not concerned about picture quality. In manual mode the right wheel can only adjust a few stops past what your ISO is set at. On my MP, if the scene is too dark I roll the right wheel and it will lighten (or darken) as needed to see.

Gents (or ladies if that's the case!). I have rolled the right dial and touched the screen to focus. No luck. The camera is pointing straight down. I can see it 300 yards off and see the landscape farther than that so it is not "dark" per se. When I'm in the situation I just described, I have an almost black screen.
It would help a lot if you could post an example to show what you are talking about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111