DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low Noise Props DIY, your opinion ?

Noticed that indoor the “Anafi-ised” version drifted a bit more, but that pitch difference is incredible!

Reactions: Styker
That is impressive. Now why the h*ll can’t DJI make them professionally so we can buy then. Love the Air as I do it is bloody noisy and we all want it to be quieter.
J

Last edited:
It’s a fairly costly conversion assuming you get genuine parts as the Anafi props are £20 for a complete set and the spark ones are £8.95 for a pair, plus the effort of butchering them together. Don’t get me wrong, I know that if these were offered at £40 a set, as manufactured, MA owners wouldn’t hesitate to make life a bit quieter, but for something that may or may not work (especially as you have to make holes to pretty precise measurements) it’s a bit of an expensive risk

I've done this myself after seeing it done in a Anafi review video. The sound seems a bit better but I didn't like the way the drone handled. The finished propellers are small, roughly the same length as a spark prop. I feel that a bigger blade of the same configuration might work better, but of course there aren't any. I've also played with some shorter tri-blades bolted to butchered spark hubs. Hopeless when drone is folded :confused:. Balancing any homemade prop is a nightmare. I haven't found anything interesting yet and only fly close to the ground. Hard to even match the original propellers for performance and will only use the originals for regular flying. I don't mind the noise but it seems to be a magnet for drone haters. One day I might cut up a set of Mavic Pro props and attach them to a hub, it'll be hard to get the blade angle right as the attachment point will be on the actual blade. Or maybe I'll.... there's no end to the possibilities.

Reactions: GlenS and S4NUP
I would be very hesitant to hang my €800,- piece of kit at 1000m distance, 120m altitude on some well-meant DIY props... I can understand the need though; the difference between sitting there flying your drone, knowing that you are stealthy and no bother to anybody and sitting in the same spot, knowing you are a nuisance to a lot of people is huge. The one can be an utterly satisfying day, the other a somewhat stressful experience.
So DJI, step up and create some proper low noise props for the Air!

Reactions: Nickes and S4NUP
I highly suspect there are performance/safety reasons DJI hasn't done it yet - they would sell a boatload of them and they probably cost $0.10 to make, so I'm sure they would be making them if there wasn't a good reason.

Props are one thing I would never mess around with on my $1000 drone.

I really don't find the Air that loud at all - if anything it draws less attention during takeoff/land compared to larger drones because it's less of a spectacle. Once you're a little ways out you can't hear it at all unless it's dead quiet, so in my experience mostly a non-issue. Quieter is always better though, and DJI's props are reasonably priced, so if they made them I'd buy a set.

I'm thinking something like this:

hunter_killer_aerial_1991_01.jpg

I use the Anafi mod and have no performance or handling issues. I haven't worked up the courage to send them out a mile or more but have been flying them around the neighborhood without problems or complaints.

I have been checking the modded blades looking for cracking but no issues. Flying in Sport and most of the photo modes give same results as the OEM blades.

I paid $13.00 for a set of Magic Smart props (for the hubs) and $8.00 for two sets of Anafi blades, less than a set of Master Airscrew Stealth props for the MA.

A friend has the Stealth props on his MA and they help some but cause motor warnings in Sport Mode and are nowhere as effective as the Anafis.

I still use OEM out in the desert or flying over inaccessible terrain. Maybe someday I will get more comfortable with them.

If I have any problems I will post them here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3