DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low noise Props - excessive vibration?

New props arrived from Amazon, not tried them as yet, but looking forward to some quieter flights,
No more hedge trimmer sounds hopefully [emoji38]
eb0ad2b0394f658c204188749da413ea.jpg
And that box looks exactly like the ones I bought directly from DJI.

Last edited:
There is one really interesting discovery I made comparing the two types of props. I took a flight up a mountain side (max forward and max power). I noticed that with the standard props I could see the prop tips occasionally (level - 0 degrees on gimbal), yet doing the same flight same power and all just a few minutes later, I did not see the prop tips at all. It looks like the new props manage to achieve the same forward speed with less forward tilt than the standard props. If that is true, that would is fantastic! Can't wait for the new (real DJI) props to arrive for testing.

Just received the GENUINE article. Actual DJI manufactured low noise props (Silver tipped - not sure what the difference would be between the gold tipped and the silver tipped except the color.)
I installed them and took the MP to a hover. I could hear and see a similar type of up-down vibration compensated by the Gimbal (nearly 100%). Disappointed, I let it hover for a minute more, then full-power rise it up about 50 feet, let it come down again and then up again and low and behold - all of the vibration disappeared and the sound was steady!

So, I landed, shut off the MP, then restarted it. No vibration! So, all it took is a bit of force and rotation on the props (maybe some adaptive code in the firmware got activated too) and all of the vibration is gone. I am a happy camper!

I did try this with the knock-off props but there, the vibration never subsided.

Reactions: Philbek
Bottom line: The low noise props have less mass and rotate slower. This causes the props to take longer to “balance “. It takes a full power ascent for maybe 50 feet or so to balance them.

Mine shook and fluttered when the new props were installed. I did an IMU calibration and now it is smooth as silk. I think this is necessary as the motor speed changes with the new props and the cal will insure everything is in sync.

Further my earlier post, I was surprised to receive another set of 8331 props today - I'd forgotten I'd ordered them a couple of weeks ago - and serendipitously arrive in the middle of these discussions.

I've put them on the MP and tried them out.
There's was still some vibration to start with, and the camera and gimbal mount were visibly vibrating, and the Go 4 app was reporting 'Abnormal gimbal vibration', etc.
However the vibes did seem to quieten down and go away after a couple of minutes of running.

After flying the MP around for ~10 minutes, and reinspecting, the vibration didn't appear to be occurring.

Now, these latest units came in a 'proper', white DJI box, whereas the first set just came in a simple zip-lock bag with a white sticker on it.
The attached pics show the respective packaging.
Both sets came from eBay stores.
View attachment 25278 View attachment 25279

I'll call the prop sets 'P1' (came in zip-lock bag) and 'P2' (came in white DJI box).

However, I've noticed something interesting: If you hold up the prop blades and look along the length of the trailing edges, I've found two blades in the P1-set with 'kinks' in them, whereas the trailing edges of the remainder look very straight.

Now, inspecting the trailing edges of the P2-set in the same way, showed most of them were very straight, but 1 had a slight 'kink' in it as well.

The P2 set strike me as a genuine DJI component, whereas P1 could be a Dodgy Bros set (just based on the packaging they each arrived in).

So the messages that comes out of this thus far seem to be:
1. Distortions in blades could be a likely source of vibrations
2. The more the distortion, the worse the vibration
3. It appears that even genuine DJI blades can demonstrate some distortion

BTW, after the close examinations made of the 8331 sets, I've also looked at the original 8330 props in the same way, and suddenly feel a great deal of respect for their construction compared to the 8331 units.
They're stiffer, and trailing edges are straight as gun-barrels.

Overall, I can't say I'm all that enamoured with the 8331's...!
I'm calling fake on the boxed set as well. They spelled "Propeller" wrong. DJI is so image conscious in terms of their design I can't see them making this mistake.

I have two complete sets in addition to the fake ones. One bought through Amazon (silver tipped - real DJI) and another set (gold tipped) from the DJI store. Both of these sets of low noise props work fine, There was a short period of vibration during the initial lift-off-and-hover. That goes away as soon as I did some full throttle movements up/down/sideways and rotation for maybe a minute or two. Then back to hover - totally stable, no vibration. Subsequent flights (without prop removal) seem to be good right from the start. This was true for both the silver and gold tipped sets of props.

Further my earlier post, I was surprised to receive another set of 8331 props today - I'd forgotten I'd ordered them a couple of weeks ago - and serendipitously arrive in the middle of these discussions.

I've put them on the MP and tried them out.
There's was still some vibration to start with, and the camera and gimbal mount were visibly vibrating, and the Go 4 app was reporting 'Abnormal gimbal vibration', etc.
However the vibes did seem to quieten down and go away after a couple of minutes of running.

After flying the MP around for ~10 minutes, and reinspecting, the vibration didn't appear to be occurring.

Now, these latest units came in a 'proper', white DJI box, whereas the first set just came in a simple zip-lock bag with a white sticker on it.
The attached pics show the respective packaging.
Both sets came from eBay stores.
View attachment 25278 View attachment 25279

I'll call the prop sets 'P1' (came in zip-lock bag) and 'P2' (came in white DJI box).

However, I've noticed something interesting: If you hold up the prop blades and look along the length of the trailing edges, I've found two blades in the P1-set with 'kinks' in them, whereas the trailing edges of the remainder look very straight.

Now, inspecting the trailing edges of the P2-set in the same way, showed most of them were very straight, but 1 had a slight 'kink' in it as well.

The P2 set strike me as a genuine DJI component, whereas P1 could be a Dodgy Bros set (just based on the packaging they each arrived in).

So the messages that comes out of this thus far seem to be:
1. Distortions in blades could be a likely source of vibrations
2. The more the distortion, the worse the vibration
3. It appears that even genuine DJI blades can demonstrate some distortion

BTW, after the close examinations made of the 8331 sets, I've also looked at the original 8330 props in the same way, and suddenly feel a great deal of respect for their construction compared to the 8331 units.
They're stiffer, and trailing edges are straight as gun-barrels.

Overall, I can't say I'm all that enamoured with the 8331's...!

I think both sets of props you have are non genuine

Reactions: newguy
Bottom line: The low noise props have less mass and rotate slower. This causes the props to take longer to “balance “. It takes a full power ascent for maybe 50 feet or so to balance them.
I ordered mine directly from dji and this is exactly how I get rid of the excessive vibration.

Hi, Yes, I received a set of 8331 props and put them on my MP (not Platinum), and they're noisier than the original props, and make the gimbal and camera vibrate excessively, and the Go 4 app reports 'Abnormal gimbal vibration', or something similar.

I have read of some other folk reporting this problem, and some say they upgraded to the latest firmware, and the problem was solved.
Personally, I find it hard to understand how a firmware upgrade can affect propeller vibration, but for myself, I'm loathe to upgrade to the latest firmware.

I'm still running the same firmware that came on the MP, as I had another Mavic previously, and when I tried upgrading the FW, it bricked, and the aircraft wouldn't connect to the RC, and the drone became useless.

Fortunately I was able to return the bird for a refund, and bought another Mavic from a different source, which is the one I'm now finding vibrates uncontrollably with the new 8331 props.

I've read of other folk saying they left the new props on and just flew the MP around for a while, and the vibrations went away.

I've tried that, and the vibes don't go away.

A bit frustrating, and maybe I'll ramp up the courage to upgrade the FW one day, and see if that makes a difference, but for now, I'm thinking I might just buy another set of 8331 props from another source, and see if its just a dodgy set of props I've managed to find on the market...?
I have also noticed this problem with the Mavic pro using the new MPP props. I am actually working on a video describing the problem, as well as my personal temporal "fix" for it. Still really annoying. :(

I also ordered the new props via amazon, they where stated as original DJI. 100% fake, the flex on the blade was excessive and I never even thought for a second about trying to fly with them attached. Straight into the bin :)
View attachment 25288View attachment 25289View attachment 25290
wow indeed ! Mine came from DJI in those lil cardboard boxes. Hope you left a feedback on the product page to warn other novice buyer that may not recognize the difference and risk crashing their drone using those :eek:

is the gimbal vibration problem still there after the 4.100 update of firmware. this was not asked anywhere.

It's unlikely it has anything to do with firmware, you can use them with firmware from the beginning of the year.
Newer firmware may be 'aware' of the possible characteristics change.
The vibration is most likely caused by the lighter blades not flinging out dead straight when you first take off

What if your props are already out straight? Don't think that's it buddy I just think that the props spin slower and don't work too well with the older ESC's you don't hear the new mavic Pro Platinum owners having a fuss about them that's because the newer esc's are optimized for them

So ... at the end of the day; is it worth it to get the 8331 props? I know DJI states they are compatible with the MP, but is the difference and possible vib issues going to cause damage to motors?? I'm debating on getting them from the DJI site, but I keep reading about possible issues and not sure if a couple db and an extra minute or 2 is worth it. I'm new here and my MP should arrive on Friday. Not gonna change props anyway until I get familiarized with the unit, but want to order some extra props anyways just to have on hand. This just gets too dang confusing ....... LOL

So ... at the end of the day; is it worth it to get the 8331 props? I know DJI states they are compatible with the MP, but is the difference and possible vib issues going to cause damage to motors?? I'm debating on getting them from the DJI site, but I keep reading about possible issues and not sure if a couple db and an extra minute or 2 is worth it. I'm new here and my MP should arrive on Friday. Not gonna change props anyway until I get familiarized with the unit, but want to order some extra props anyways just to have on hand. This just gets too dang confusing ....... LOL

Heck with it ... ordered a set of 8330 and 8331 so I have extras and then more extras. Only $20 anyway for the 8331's right!!!!!

Got new props week and a half ago.
Tried them on mavic pro running 700 firmware. Seems like they did vibrate more than stock. Took them off.
I have a neighbor that just got the all white mavic, he tried them also. Agreed that they seemed to vibrate also.
Back in the box. Maybe I use them if I get a platinum some day.
Ps. These came directly from dji China along with new crystal sky ultra.

I fly with a Mavic Pro purchased in August with the new props and haven’t had any PROBLEMS

Got new props week and a half ago.
Tried them on mavic pro running 700 firmware. Seems like they did vibrate more than stock. Took them off.
I have a neighbor that just got the all white mavic, he tried them also. Agreed that they seemed to vibrate also.
Back in the box. Maybe I use them if I get a platinum some day.
Ps. These came directly from dji China along with new crystal sky ultra.

I'm by far not an expert ... I'm a complete novice actually and haven't even received my MP yet (hopefully it arrives tomorrow; tracking says expected delivery on the 5th, but it arrived in my area about 15 miles from home today). Anyway, I have been reading manuals and everything from DJI, watching tutorials, reading forums all while I impatiently wait. In the latest release notes, firmware update v01.04.0000 from Sept 2017 says it has an update for the 8331 props. Makes me wonder if that update is needed to resolve the vibration??? Not trying to say that is so, actually more of a question .....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661