DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'Low noise' props??

Altomar718

Reactions
Question please - Many have posted things about their new 'low noise' props - After people have used them - are they?

I just used them yesterday for the first time. I was happy. Less noice, didnt get to test the longer flight time yet

There are several you tube video tests with decibel meters proving they are 3 to 6 decibels quieter in various conditions it let’s be real, I still can’t sneak it down the driveway at 2 am! It is salvation it is and they look cool!

There are several you tube video tests with decibel meters proving they are 3 to 6 decibels quieter in various conditions it let’s be real, I still can’t sneak it down the driveway at 2 am! It is salvation it is and they look cool!
definitely not going to be able to sneak it down the driveway at 2am lol. the technology has to be out there for extremely low noise props.

Reactions: Wersh
I've tested them and can say they are defiantly quieter than stock props, they only give longer flight times with the new Mavic Platinum due to a change with ESC's, on the standard Mp they give about the same as stock

Reactions: Altomar718
Its not just about the decibels, it also sounds more pleasant - Noticeably more pleasant.
Wanted to be in stealth, so I took the spark out and flew it around a private garden. Ran out of batteries and switched to the Mavic with low noise props. My missus then asked why the spark sounded so loud even though its so little.

Now i am torn between what to use as my "people-friendly" drone. Smaller footprint or quieter flying lawnmower???

Its not just about the decibels, it also sounds more pleasant - Noticeably more pleasant.
Wanted to be in stealth, so I took the spark out and flew it around a private garden. Ran out of batteries and switched to the Mavic with low noise props. My missus then asked why the spark sounded so loud even though its so little.

Now i am torn between what to use as my "people-friendly" drone. Smaller footprint or quieter flying lawnmower???

Tough one! Gotta be, mavic, mavic catches peoples eye because it’s a drone but when they think drone they imagine an ugly bulky blob that flies, when they see a mavic, they say “wow if Batman had a drone” that’s what it would look like!

I put the low noise props on last week and I am very pleased. I just like everyone else watched all the comparison videos and saw the data (4-5 decibal drop). Like some have said, the most noticeable thing about the new props is the more pleasant pitch. The higher you go the more you appreciate the difference. At the end of the day they are far from stealthy but with that said I would absolutely recommend them.

Correction - shouting IS WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS.
Font size isn't it.

The lawnmower

Reactions: Mako79 and Brojon
The lawnmower
Just got mine in today and indeed it reminds me of a mowers hum. There's still a bit of angry hornet sound but almost muffled.
I decided I would test battery claims by flying an endurance pattern I made which is simple back and forth no orientation changes and curved path in Litchi.
It's impossible to finish on a battery so it will terminate the mission and do a RTH.
So first off the new props made it an extra 1.5 "laps". It seemed to fly about 1 mph faster forward direction. The mission terminated at 25% battery both times. This worked out to about 17 minutes flying on the original props and 18:30 on the new props.
Upon landing the old props had 12% battery remaining and the new props had 14% remaining power.
So I call them a success. Nothing groundbreaking but considering they cost the same I see no reason not to.

All the tests using anything approaching properly calibrated sound measurement systems (vs people just guessing, placebo effect or mobile phone meters) have shown at most a 1-2db reduction and only for some flight stages. This is a reduction so small the human ear cant accurately detect it.

Anyone claiming "3-6db reduction" firstly doesn't have any sensible test protocol as not even DJI managed that with new ESCs and (ii) doesn't understand the decibel scale.

Placebo effect is strong with props....especially from people who paid money for them so *want* it to be true.

Reactions: Marc Hufnagel
Well the thing you don't seem to understand is that noise "quality" is more important than it's numerical value in dBA in perceptual loudness. A harsh buzzing will be perceived as louder than a dull roaring sound at equal volume - real ears work different than an instrument.
These new props mitigate the sound quality making it less objectionable. Not a bad thing.
Not sure why people are getting so contentious over the props - everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh