DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Lowlands. An aerial essay. (Feedback appreciated.)

Well done! I lived on my sailboat on Wilmington Island for a couple years and would have loved to have had a drone to catch some good footage of the low country. I too film a lot over water and appreciate the footage. Good length, kept me interested, good music choice.

Some really excellent stuff there. So many good things to talk about. I like the opening a lot. What font did you use? The music, ominous as it was, was perfect. The flying was smooth and professional. I loved the mist shots and the sunset stuff. So many good things I could go on and on.

There were only a few things that I would suggest changing. 1) While I understand how you were trying to tie the beach shot with the people to the water opening, It just isn't in the style of the rest of your project. Your project is really (IMO) a display of graphics and texture. I think that one clip is an orphan in terms of the style of the rest of the piece. Is there other footage tying the water/shore to the marshland shots? 2) At 1:43 or so, you've got some blown highlights and lost detail in the trees. It's just a few seconds. Can you try to recover those highlights somehow? Your exposure isn't that far off. 3) Some of the clips could stand to be a little shorter, but perhaps that's my ADD.

I'd like to know more about your project. Again, which font did you use? Where did you find the music? Which drone did you fly? Which editor did you use for the compilation? Any other technical details you could share?

Thanks for sharing your project. Great job!

Well done! I lived on my sailboat on Wilmington Island for a couple years and would have loved to have had a drone to catch some good footage of the low country. I too film a lot over water and appreciate the footage. Good length, kept me interested, good music choice.
Thank you for your kind words.

There were only a few things that I would suggest changing. 1) While I understand how you were trying to tie the beach shot with the people to the water opening, It just isn't in the style of the rest of your project. Your project is really (IMO) a display of graphics and texture. I think that one clip is an orphan in terms of the style of the rest of the piece. Is there other footage tying the water/shore to the marshland shots?
I agree. The theme of the piece is the desolate, sinister beauty of the low country marshes (Inspired by the mood of for example True Detective) - with a slight glimmer of hope of the sunrise in the last few shots. The color palette and grading also reflects this, going from cold green to warmer orange. The people on the beach indeed stand out. I might go back really early one day and redo that shot. A shot flying in from the sea into the land would work maybe better as well - if I can find a place without buildings from that perspective

2) At 1:43 or so, you've got some blown highlights and lost detail in the trees. It's just a few seconds. Can you try to recover those highlights somehow? Your exposure isn't that far off.

I shoot flat and underexpose slightly most of the time, but given the small sensor of the Air 2 I think blown highlights of the sun are hard to avoid?
3) Some of the clips could stand to be a little shorter, but perhaps that's my ADD.

Some of that is intentional to reflect the (often uncomfortable and foreshadowing mood of the location and pacing of the soundtrack. The shot at 1:21 is maybe a bit too long even in this context, but I really like the textural transition from marsh to trees to swamp.
I'd like to know more about your project. Again, which font did you use?
Roboto

Where did you find the music?

musicbed.com - great for finding music based on mood.
Which drone did you fly?

Mavic air 2.
Which editor did you use for the compilation?

Premiere Pro
Any other technical details you could share?

Not really technical, but a few days ago my drone crashed into the marsh for no reason. For those interested, I posted more on the incident here.

Thank you again for your feedback.

I agree. The theme of the piece is the desolate, sinister beauty of the low country marshes (Inspired by the mood of for example True Detective) - with a slight glimmer of hope of the sunrise in the last few shots. The color palette and grading also reflects this, going from cold green to warmer orange. The people on the beach indeed stand out. I might go back really early one day and redo that shot. A shot flying in from the sea into the land would work maybe better as well - if I can find a place without buildings from that perspective

I shoot flat and underexpose slightly most of the time, but given the small sensor of the Air 2 I think blown highlights of the sun are hard to avoid?

Some of that is intentional to reflect the (often uncomfortable and foreshadowing mood of the location and pacing of the soundtrack. The shot at 1:21 is maybe a bit too long even in this context, but I really like the textural transition from marsh to trees to swamp.

Roboto

musicbed.com - great for finding music based on mood.

Mavic air 2.

Premiere Pro

Not really technical, but a few days ago my drone crashed into the marsh for no reason. For those interested, I posted more on the incident here.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom